Popular Tags: [View All]
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that Phil and I are running the kickstarter for a reprint for Bios:Genesis!

Here are some graphics to mark the event:

As you can see the new version will have upgraded illustrations and graphics designs to the cards. Some of the cards themselves have been changed in order to accommodate easier interpretation.

It will also have a clearer rulebook.

For those that already have the first version, Phil and I are discussing a reasonably priced "conversion kit".

Phil decided to go down the kickstarter route for the 2nd version for a number of reasons, including giving his games a wider audience, but most importantly he felt because it allowed him to more easily gauge demand. As many of you will be aware, many of his games go out of print almost as soon as they go out. So Phil wants to try doing it this way so that he is more able to predict how well his games do in order to purchase enough copies for backers/pre-order customers, as well as retailers.

My own personal involvement is to help Phil on the kickstarter front as he was not personally keen to run the campaign itself, more to do the behind the scenes logistical work and design.

If you have anymore questions do please ask. We're thoroughly excited to bring this to everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just excited about the potential of conversion kits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely interested in a conversion kit should the changes be substantial. The game is impressive, glad to see a bigger audience get exposed to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:

Conversion Kits yay! For all us Phil diehards who understand what the "living" in living rules means!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:

Great! we're hoping it will be reasonably priced but we will see how feasible this is instead of buying an entirely new game.

We want to make sure that those with the first version and newer backers get a good deal both ways.

We'll be releasing details on this ASAP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
anatana wrote:
The game is impressive, glad to see a bigger audience get exposed to it!

That's what we're hoping Phil's work in the industry I feel has been "on the down-low" so maybe a new invigoration of audience will do his work proud.

Plus he wanted to reward his die-hard fans as best as possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would a conversion kit be something that is a part of the Kickstarter campaign or would it be handled separately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:
Would a conversion kit be something that is a part of the Kickstarter campaign or would it be handled separately?

It's going to be part of the kickstarter campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to see Phil partner with another company for fundraising - hope you can run a better KS campaign than the egregious one via One Small Step.

And thank you for not forgetting the 1st edition owners - I'm definitely in for a conversion kit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve,

Phil values his fans very much and wanted to ensure both new and old backers were treated as well as possible.

Yep, I heard about that campaign. I run my own publishing company and value my own reputation as well as Phils.

I've run a successful campaign for our first game Lab Wars and currently running one for our second: Cauldron Master so hopefully in good hands!!

Thanks for your support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we're announcing second editions mere months after the first game shipped, it makes me wonder if I should ever buy any Eklund games at launch again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipped and sold out. Phil tends to make needed updates whenever there is a reprint - see High Frontier 1st/2nd/3rd edition and Greenland 1st and 2nd.

I believe this reprint is essentially identical, with some prettier artwork and the needed errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
msg tools
badge
Caught you 'mirin'.
mbmbmbmbmb
Caezar, thank you for being the point man through this. I have become enamored by Phil Eklund's game designs lately and I am very excited for the KS campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Igor wrote:
I hope you consider reasonable shipment costs for EU
It is much appreciated.

EDIT: I know it is not normal, but I will definitely buy 2 copies of the second edition. I have already 2 of the first, so...
But I have 2 copies of all Phil's games I own...

Hey mad igor,

I believe we'll be shipping from either the U.K. or Germany so you should be fine

Thanks for your support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
If we're announcing second editions mere months after the first game shipped, it makes me wonder if I should ever buy any Eklund games at launch again.

Hi golden cow,

As Dom rightly states Phil sold out in a mere 2 months. This second edition improves the legibility and new illustrations etc of the cards. In a sense Phil wants to get it out to retailers and widen the audience net a bit more while also allowing first edition backers to upgrade to the new version.

I personally think if a game is good enough and popular enough why not reprint it again? The guys who did Terraforming Mars had a similar problem too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks to me that the conversion kit would cover about everything in the game minus the wooden parts. In that case, it's somewhat hard to imagine it could be "reasonably priced".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never managed to get a 1st edition so depending on shipping costs would definitely be interested in a 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
Shipped and sold out. Phil tends to make needed updates whenever there is a reprint - see High Frontier 1st/2nd/3rd edition and Greenland 1st and 2nd.

I believe this reprint is essentially identical, with some prettier artwork and the needed errata.

Yep exactly! Hopefully by using Kickstarter it will allow Phil to gauge demand a bit better and order a more appropriate number of units going forward.

By getting his games in distribution (we hope) it will give Phil the wider audience his games deserve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rontuaru wrote:
Caezar, thank you for being the point man through this. I have become enamored by Phil Eklund's game designs lately and I am very excited for the KS campaign.

Don't thank me! Thank Phil for giving me the opportunity. I just hope I do it justice!

Thanks for your support of Phil's games. He really appreciates everyone's support
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Looks to me that the conversion kit would cover about everything in the game minus the wooden parts. In that case, it's somewhat hard to imagine it could be "reasonably priced".

Details on conversion kit will be confirmed next week I hope.

May put it to a vote if needs be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Igor wrote:
EDIT: I know it is not normal, but I will definitely buy 2 copies of the second edition. I have already 2 of the first, so...

It might be more normal than you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
Never managed to get a 1st edition so depending on shipping costs would definitely be interested in a 2nd edition.

Shipping costs should be very reasonable. I may be personally handling the uk side of delivery but that's tbc too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caezar Al-Jassar

Cambridge, UK
-- Non U.S. --
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
Mad Igor wrote:

It might be more normal than you think.

Hahalaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Definitely a conversion kit. I am waiting for other Bios series also. I long for the day I will be able to start as a biont and end up exiting Interstellar map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not the reprint, but rather that there is actually things to fix mere months after release that really could have and should have been hammered out before the first edition. If a game sees significant changes or fixes a year later, that's one thing, but if Phil is going to extend his love for living rules into "living board games" then I'm not excited to be one of his "beta testers" in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.