Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Battles of Westeros» Forums » General

Subject: Abandon all hope rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool Mini or Not has announced this: A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game – Stark vs Lannister Starter Set

It stands to reason that there is some agreement with FFG here that will discontinue any further development on BoW, not that I was expecting any news.

The list of designers for this new product makes it clear that there would be no influence from BoW.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, I gave up hope years ago...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xapi wrote:
Cool Mini or Not has announced this: A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game – Stark vs Lannister Starter Set

It stands to reason that there is some agreement with FFG here that will discontinue any further development on BoW, not that I was expecting any news.

The list of designers for this new product makes it clear that there would be no influence from BoW.


This looks awesome! I'm a hardcore, dedicated fan of BoW, still playing (in spite of my long ago infamous rant about the counter-attack rule). In fact, played LotR last Friday, and am playing the last battle scenario in LotR this coming Friday.

I for one was very sad to see the series discontinued, for obvious reasons, there's so much more that could have been developed...Greyjoy forces, Bolton forces, Targaryens with Second Sons and the Unsullied, Wildlings forces with Giants, etc.

Xavier, thanks for posting the link above.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am somewhat confused. I am happy to see new games based on the world, but really have no idea what BoW has to do with this new game other than sharing the same base IP. they are totally separate games by totally separate companies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I am somewhat confused. I am happy to see new games based on the world, but really have no idea what BoW has to do with this new game other than sharing the same base IP. they are totally separate games by totally separate companies.


They are both miniature based skirmish games based on the same IP. From a lawyery or marketing perspective, there isn't much reason to have both in the market.

The reason for this post being here is two fold:

1 - If anyone had any lingering hope of BoW being given some love by FGG (A second edition, a new expansion, etc) then this proyect completely squashes that hope, since the contract by wich CMON buys the rights to produce this probably has a no compete clause.

2 - For people whose interest in BoW comes from the IP and a general taste for skirmish games, this new proyect could be of interest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just getting back into BoW and it is awesome. Honestly, I might get the Baratheon exp, but the Core Set and couple of the expansions makes for a huge game. Tons of replay.... In my case, years of replay.

I don't think BoW did very well for FFG. I don't know why, but it just never took off. Personally, I use a few small variants to tweak a few things to my taste, but the rules are pretty solid. The Skirmish Card set up is cool and gives a tabletop touch to BoW. I'll play it for years to come.

I don't know why CMON thinks another Westeros minis type game will do better than BoW? Maybe it will.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Having issues with CMoN's kickstarter strategies, i frankly feels left up a certain creek without a paddle.. Sad day in my book, i was certain the upcoming battles would result in further expansions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So if FFG gives up the BL license, what *could* be next? Who would own what (eg. does FFG own the 2nd edition mechanics)? The GoT license might be lost, but not the BL system!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xapi wrote:

1 - If anyone had any lingering hope of BoW being given some love by FGG (A second edition, a new expansion, etc) then this proyect completely squashes that hope, since the contract by wich CMON buys the rights to produce this probably has a no compete clause.


That's not how these things work. If FFG doesn't have a license anymore, then we'd know about it (they'd archive the support sites, remove the games from their stores, and make an announcement like they did with GW).

Also, they're still developing the card game, and releasing board games (and expansions) in the IP.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was an ASoIaF license, and a Game of Thrones license separately. Or the licenses aren't exclusive (as a large number aren't - see Star Trek, as an example).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
Xapi wrote:

1 - If anyone had any lingering hope of BoW being given some love by FGG (A second edition, a new expansion, etc) then this proyect completely squashes that hope, since the contract by wich CMON buys the rights to produce this probably has a no compete clause.


That's not how these things work. If FFG doesn't have a license anymore, then we'd know about it (they'd archive the support sites, remove the games from their stores, and make an announcement like they did with GW).

Also, they're still developing the card game, and releasing board games (and expansions) in the IP.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was an ASoIaF license, and a Game of Thrones license separately. Or the licenses aren't exclusive (as a large number aren't - see Star Trek, as an example).


okay but certainly this new development is not a reason to continue to hold out hope that FFG hasn't abandoned future modules for BoW.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was an ASoIaF license, and a Game of Thrones license separately. Or the licenses aren't exclusive (as a large number aren't - see Star Trek, as an example).


My strong, strong suspicion is that FFG/Asmodee has the boardgame license, and "Dark Sword Miniatures" has the miniatures license (which they've had since 2007, apparently) and just recently did they decide/discover that their miniatures license would extend to a miniatures-based game.

This game is still dead, but it's dead because it sold poorly, not because they don't have the rights for it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mkozlows wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was an ASoIaF license, and a Game of Thrones license separately. Or the licenses aren't exclusive (as a large number aren't - see Star Trek, as an example).


This game is still dead, but it's dead because it sold poorly (italics added), not because they don't have the rights for it.


The italicized portion above is what surprises me, it's such a good game! For me, Rob Kouba (the designer) brilliantly fixed all the problems with the other L/C/R card driven tactical games, once I started playing BoW I sold off all of my C&C's, Mem'44, etc.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
mkozlows wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was an ASoIaF license, and a Game of Thrones license separately. Or the licenses aren't exclusive (as a large number aren't - see Star Trek, as an example).


This game is still dead, but it's dead because it sold poorly (italics added), not because they don't have the rights for it.


The italicized portion above is what surprises me, it's such a good game! For me, Rob Kouba (the designer) brilliantly fixed all the problems with the other L/C/R card driven tactical games, once I started playing BoW I sold off all of my C&C's, Mem'44, etc.


It is a good game and you can still get it off Amazon. Just buy what there is out there and you have great game. All these games fizzle out eventually. It's a diminishing return effect. If they sell 5000 core sets, than they'll probably sell 4000 expansions. If the expansions don't stimulate more buzz and help sell more core sets, than the next expansion sells 3000 copies....

I think it would have helped a lot if Rob would have visited this forum and answered rules questions when the game first came out. I buy wargames from GMT Games mostly these days and those game designers are all over this website. They answer your rules questions, not just another bgg user. But FFG's designers don't seem to visit this site very much and I've always wondered why that is. They just don't.

But.... BoW can't fire C&C Ancients for me. That game is a masterpiece... So is C&C Nappy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
For me, Rob Kouba (the designer) brilliantly fixed all the problems with the other L/C/R card driven tactical games, once I started playing BoW I sold off all of my C&C's, Mem'44, etc.


I agree. Most of the L/C/R games held no interest for me, but I really love the leader-based command system in BoW. I understand Kouba had more expansions and ideas he would have liked to pursue with the game, but it's been clear for a while that FFG was done with it. Too bad.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with Cracky.

This game has TONS of content and replayability as it is. Grab the game and expansions, because it's a very different game than what will be coming from CMON, and in my humble opinion, this one can stand on its own as a great (and probably the best version of the Command & Colors system) game.

Bargains can be found out there. Don't give up based upon the fact that units have to be assembled - just take it slow, use LESS superglue than you think is necessary, and you'll end up with fine models that don't need painting if you don't desire that kind of thing. Let them dry completely overnight before throwing them all into the box together and you shouldn't end up with that annoying white superglue residue. I have superglued all my models and there is no trace of white residue. It can be done!

I personally like the separate green bases. I think they look great for something I will never be painting.

Get this game. Now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.