The City of Kings» Forums » General

Subject: Stands request rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
Can I make a request for the plastic stands of the standees, please? I hope it's not too late for this.
Recently I received Gloomhaven and already bought some alternative stands, since I didn't like the ones included. I must say that it is such an improvement that I really hope City of Kings will have similar. To sum up the shortcommings of the Gloomhaven stands: too big and covering the nicely art of the standee, fragile and ripping up the cardboard standee.
Here you can find a nice BGG post on the stands I bought. I ordered them from a German webshop: Spielmaterial
Those stands are specially made for cardboard and not for playing cards. They are of a softer not fragile plastic and can easily be opened to insert the cardboard standee without damaging it. The upright part of the plastic is smaller so it doesn't cover as much of the art as most other stands do.

Any chance those can be included in the game?
If you need more info/pictures, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
I was just looking at the stands in my new copy of Gloomhaven and thinking they were too big!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
Lover and creator of immersive games, join the adventure!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Patrick,

I completely agree!

I have been looking into various options and have requested samples for a large selection of different ones to choose from. Luckily the varieties don't effect the price too much at this point but it is really important to me to get the right ones.

I'm a firm believer that our standees will stand out compared to many games (because of the artwork) and I want you to be able to see them!

I'm also focusing on transparent ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
Glad to hear you are looking into it! Transparent is even better, but usually that type of plastic is more brittle. Hope you'll find the right kind of stands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
I just saw your new update and I am so glad to see those clear stands! No obscuring of the great artwork anymore cool
Together with all the other nice updated game bits this is looking so good.
Thank you Frank! Awesome/praiseworthy to see that you are taking the time (and also being so dedicated) to make things as perfect as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm I would have preferred the stands from the first post, which are also used in Legends of Andor.
The stands shown in the update, even if they look nice, are not that good in my opinion. I have a few of those and they damage the cardboard of the standees quite a bit

Guess I will have to order more stands from Spielmaterial ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
Kitarja wrote:
The stands shown in the update, even if they look nice, are not that good in my opinion. I have a few of those and they damage the cardboard of the standees quite a bit

Hi Kathrin, I haven't tried clear stands myself. I see them on Spielmaterial as well. Have you tried these and if yes, is the plastic too hard and the gap too narrow (made for cards and not cardboard)? Is it the thicker bit in the middle that damages the cardboard?
Maybe Frank can tell us wether the picture shown in the update are those same stands?
I am not sure, but I was hoping that every standee has it's own stand so we don't have to get them on and off for every game. If you only have to assemble them once, a bit of damage is forgivable imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm, there will be enough stands for each standee so once they are on, they are on.

I also got some sheets of sample punch board from Whatz (the size we are using for the standees) and tested the various plastic stands on the cardboard and it fitted well.

I think if we were using a 3mm cardboard then there might be issues but with the 2mm it fits nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gompel wrote:
Kitarja wrote:

Hi Kathrin, I haven't tried clear stands myself. I see them on Spielmaterial as well. Have you tried these and if yes, is the plastic too hard and the gap too narrow (made for cards and not cardboard)? Is it the thicker bit in the middle that damages the cardboard?
Maybe Frank can tell us wether the picture shown in the update are those same stands?
I am not sure, but I was hoping that every standee has it's own stand so we don't have to get them on and off for every game. If you only have to assemble them once, a bit of damage is forgivable imo.

Yes I have those clear stands from Spielmaterial, they look nice, but the plastic is definitely too hard and the gap quite narrow. I tried those stands for Gloomhaven, but they broke, because the cardboard of GH is too thick. I could only fit cardboard up to 1.8mm in it, without risking to break the stands. And even then it left quite some marks on the cardboard.

If you put them on once and leave them on permanently they might be fine though.

Nonetheless I personally like the others a lot better, as the plastic is softer and the gap is wide enough for cardboard of all sorts without damaging it. Sadly Spielmaterial doesn't have black or clear ones, those would be perfect, but I guess grey will be fine as well. I have a few left over from my GH order, hope they are enough.

Frank how many stands will be needed in the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it's 32 if you include the 3 extra banners from the Kickstarter Pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's more than I thought, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
Thank you both for your replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.