Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Saint Petersburg» Forums » General

Subject: Deluxe version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Susan Murphy
United States
Manassas
VA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard there is a deluxe version of Saint Petersburg that someone saw at a gaming convention. Does anyone know what the deluxe version's name is, and where I might find one for sale?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nonnymouse wrote:
I've heard there is a deluxe version of Saint Petersburg that someone saw at a gaming convention. Does anyone know what the deluxe version's name is, and where I might find one for sale?

Might be Saint Petersburg (second edition).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
nonnymouse wrote:
I've heard there is a deluxe version of Saint Petersburg that someone saw at a gaming convention. Does anyone know what the deluxe version's name is, and where I might find one for sale?

Might be Saint Petersburg (second edition).
Indeed it is a beautiful edition, full of quality material and a lot of expansion modules. The fact that it was released exactly 10 years after the first edition makes it a sort of deluxe anniversary edition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Avatar
And if you're a fan of the original, you likely don't want it.


edit: the changes in art are terrible, the changes in gameplay worse, and the expansion modules are almost entirely cruft.

I know lots of people that love the original. I know no one that even likes the 2nd edition.

11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oi! Hands off...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:
And if you're a fan of the original, you likely don't want it.


edit: the changes in art are terrible, the changes in gameplay worse, and the expansion modules are almost entirely cruft.

I know lots of people that love the original. I know no one that even likes the 2nd edition.



The only thing I hate about the first edition is the crappy paper money. WHICH THEY DIDN'T BLOODY FIX!!!

Good job I've got a lot of poker chips.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The hate this edition gets is baffling. I am a fan of the first edition and of the work of Doris Matthäus in general. Apart from the photo realistic nobles, all the artwork on the cards, especially the buildings and market cards, is quite pleasing. The market phase works well and the original modules (Banquet, New Society) are in the game. I understand those who still hold the older version dear, but saying the new edition is awful or even broken is biased.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Snakes et Lattes
Canada
flag msg tools
Proudly Alphabetical since 1989!
badge
The Wish Swing from Nuit Blanche 2007
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
fnord23 wrote:
And if you're a fan of the original, you likely don't want it.


edit: the changes in art are terrible, the changes in gameplay worse, and the expansion modules are almost entirely cruft.

I know lots of people that love the original. I know no one that even likes the 2nd edition.



The only thing I hate about the first edition is the crappy paper money. WHICH THEY DIDN'T BLOODY FIX!!!

Good job I've got a lot of poker chips.


Am I the only one who likes paper money in boardgames? I find playing with poker chips is too confusing.

I've played my copy of St. Petersburg over 50 times, and the money is showing no signs of wear.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lostphd wrote:
Am I the only one who likes paper money in boardgames? I find playing with poker chips is too confusing.

I've played my copy of St. Petersburg over 50 times, and the money is showing no signs of wear.

I find it less confusing to use the same poker chips for games, rather than different colours/denominations of money.

Admittedly the money in St Pete is of higher quality than much paper money. (Also the money in Ponzi Scheme, where it's more or less required to use paper money due to the wallet.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret money is important in Piter. So if you insist on playing with Poker chips, make sure, you get some screens from Tigris & Euphrates or Cyclades or similar source. And yes, the new artwork is quite bad, especially when you compare it to the original, which was wonderful thematic fitting. Never played any of the new modules, so can't judge them. I'm not a big fan of the Banquet, but the New Society is great, I would even say essential after a few games with the base game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Susumu wrote:
Secret money is important in Piter.

HIDDEN-TRACKABLE INFORMATION DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT! GOOD NIGHT!

Ahem.

Money in St. Pete is always a known quantity: you can see exactly how much is coming in and how much is going out. If you're paying sufficient attention you know exactly how much everyone else has; if you're paying less attention you can still have a pretty good ballpark idea.

By all means you should play the way that gives you the most enjoyment, but saying that hidden money is "important" just isn't accurate.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are able to track back the assets of every player in a 4 player game, then kudos. That's a skill, which certainly comes with a reward (advantage), I'm absolutely OK with granting you. "Having a good ballpark idea" doesn't help you anything. Because quite often, if a card can be bought by an opponent or not is determined by just one ruble.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.