Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Donating Between Random Scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hoban
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Playing a Random Scenario does not move the campaign. But you still get loot, exp, battle goals, and personal goals. With that said. If I was to play 3 or 4 random scenarios would I still be able to donate to the Sanctuary (and mark how much you've donated) between them? Or can you only donate between actual campaign scenarios? I am not asking because I want blessed cards. I am asking specifically about tracking how much I've donated.

Without spoiling, there is a specific reason I am asking. I am about to retire. And thats all Ill say on that matter.

Edit: Phrasing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Rivest
Canada
Blainville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoban9331 wrote:
Playing a Random Scenario does not move the campaign. But you still get loot, exp, battle goals, and personal goals. With that said. If I was to play 3 or 4 random scenarios would I still be able to donate to the Sanctuary (and mark how much you've donated) between them? Or can you only donate between actual campaign scenarios? I am not asking because I want blessed cards. I am asking specifically about tracking how much I've donated.

Without spoiling, there is a specific reason I am asking. I am about to retire. And thats all Ill say on that matter.

Edit: Phrasing

I know what you're talking about. I don't have the rules to refer to but I'mpretty sure you treat Random dungeons like normal ones. As long as you go ack to Gloomhaven in between and take a road event when returning I don't see why you couldn't donate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo scenario book specifically says "you should not have any campaign interactions (events or sanctuary donations) between these scenarios," so I believe donating counts as a campaign thing that can't be done between random scenarios or in casual mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hoban
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I understand what you are saying regarding the "do not have any campaign interactions"

But I think that is because the solo scenarios were designed with to be played without the buff of bless cards and de-buff of road events. They are meant to be played as the ultimate individual character challenges.

Again I understand what you mean though. As much as I don't want to admit it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do a side scenario...I'm not sure what the difference would be for you. Anyway to avoid retiring before the time has come? If you already met conditions, it's over for you anyway (that sounds more grim than it is!) as you would need to go back to Gloomhaven to donate, and once you do, you have to retire.

If you haven't met it, what is the brass tacks of your life goal (i.e. what do you need to achieve...and put it in spoilers).

If you can't avoid it, then you'll still get the benefits of what you are looking to achieve here once it happens. Putting it in spoilers below just in case:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Your new character starts on whatever level, but once the prosperity is achieved, you push any existing characters to the prosperity level, along with minimum XP for said level.

If this is what you are going for, I'm not sure side scenarios matter. BTW I only know a small portion of

what you reveal when you donate enough...but only a very small portion no details, so don't spoil it for me either if you aren't looking into this for leveling purposes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hoban
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Guillaume Rivest,

You do not take a road event when returning to Gloomhaven, ever. Second you do not do a road event when traveling to a random scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hoban
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
My specific issue, now that I know how to use spoilers:

The spoiler is for personal quest (I will not say specifics within the spoiler). AND for unlocking Envelope B.

I just unlocked the scenario chain that I need to retire. I have to complete 3 scenarios in that chain to retire. Before I retire I would like to donate to keep donating to raise prosperity so I can be start a character on level 2. So I would like to do solo scenarios to raise prosperity before I retire because I have a ton of money to donate but you can only do it once per visit to gloom haven.

My question is, is this legal? or do I have to just...

go down that chain of scenarios and retire without raising prosparity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that is what I figured, and actually the same life goal we are considering right now, which is serendipity.

But it shouldn't matter for you, I mentioned this above but:

Once the prosperity level gets to a certain level, let's say two, all new characters start at that level and all EXISTING characters get upped to that level. Both existing and new characters get their total XP bumped to the minimum of their new level. In your case, your new character will either have to wait until the prosperity is bumped up, or you are playing scenarios now with your current character in order to donate to do it before hand. Either way you'll be playing the scenario, you may as well earn gold for your new character while doing it (i.e. retiring now, bumping up the new character once prosperity is reached in a scenario or two)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy C
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
Is the OP asking about solo play, or are we inferring that?

The standard rules do not say that at all (see top of p 41).

Road Events:
Must do one if scenarios are not linked. (Or replaying, obviously.)
May choose not to do one if they are linked.*

* This is my interpretation of "players can immediately start the scenario without completing a road event" and the example of "they could travel to the Barrow Lair without completing a road event."

It's ambiguous, it could mean "may" or "must" but generally the inference it that if you can do something, you may do something and probably want to do it.

City Events:
"Once per visit to Gloomhaven, a party may complete a city event."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hoban
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
eris23 wrote:

Road Events:

* This is my interpretation of "players can immediately start the scenario without completing a road event" and the example of "they could travel to the Barrow Lair without completing a road event."

It's ambiguous, it could mean "may" or "must" but generally the inference it that if you can do something, you may do something and probably want to do it.

City Events:

Road events dont have much to do with my original question. However my comment on road events were in response to Guillaume Rivest comment. You do Not do Road events when doing Random Scenarios. This thread is in regards to Random Scenarios. But to answer your question, I am not talking about Solo Play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoban9331 wrote:
eris23 wrote:

Road Events:

City Events:

Road events dont have much to do with my original question. However my comment on road events were in response to Guillaume Rivest comment. You do Not do Road events when doing Random Scenarios. This thread is in regards to Random Scenarios. But to answer your question, I am not talking about Solo Play.

It's buried in the FAQ thread, but Isaac recently provided a ruling. You may only do 1 city event and 1 donation between any 2 campaign scenarios. If you donate, you should set your blesses aside and use them in the next campaign scenario. A google search might find it.

Random dungeons and casual scenarios don't tick the counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:

It's buried in the FAQ thread, but Isaac recently provided a ruling. You may only do 1 city event and 1 donation between any 2 campaign scenarios. If you donate, you should set your blesses aside and use them in the next campaign scenario. A google search might find it.

Random dungeons and casual scenarios don't tick the counter.

Good info. This breaks it down in a way I can understand:

City Event (and donating): Only between 2 campaign scenarios, and are optional.

Road Event: Before EVERY campaign scenario, and is NOT optional unless forgoing a City Event/Donation between 2 linked campaign scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:
Good info. This breaks it down in a way I can understand:

City Event (and donating): Only between 2 campaign scenarios, and are optional.

Word use, should be "every scenario in campaign mode". Someone refer to the story scenarios as "campaign scenarios" and the other as "side scenarios" (pg. 38)-- which is how I interpreted the OP.

Also, between 2 linked scenario's in campaign mode, you don't get to donate or do any city activities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the official wording "once per city visit" is probably most clear, because all it needs to cover every situation is the errata "casual mode scenarios and random dungeons do not trigger a new city visit" because the holodeck is inside the city so you're still on the same visit.

Actually, that makes it unclear for campaign mode scenarios that are linked to the city. Perhaps:

"... blahblah once per city visit. A new city visit is started after attempting any campaign mode scenario (including scenarios linked to Gloomhaven city). No new city visit is started after casual mode scenarios or random dungeons (you are still on the same visit)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.