Popular Tags: [View All]
Bianca Summers
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have never done GeekMod before. I read the rules and tried it out. It says to reject an image if it is a similar/duplicate or if it is a single component of the game. I went through 5 pictures and had to stop because I felt bad and was a little confused. There were 2 pictures that were only the cover of the game and the gallery showed that it already had a cover picture in there, so I declined them. Then someone posted an item card and I had to skip that one because in the rules it says no single items. Was I right to decline the cover picture? I feel really bad declining pictures What do you do about items cards or character cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekMod is sort of hit or miss. Don't feel bad. Thank you for trying.

The true fact is that the popular galleries are bloated with pictures. Many of the "forgotten" games have few pictures.

BGG didn't want each compoent (card) to have its onw image for two reasons. First it bloats the pictures gallery. Second a high resolution image of each card of a game would allow the image to be used to make a copy of the cards for the game. BGG tries not to promote piracy.

So keep trying. You'll get the hang of it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Declining images is a good thing: it makes it easier for everyone to find the images they want to find.

Single cards should be rejected unless some reason is given, like it's a one-card expansion.

For boxes, watch out for small edition changes or different languages.

But don't worry: it's not just what you do, it's what many mods do. If you make a mistake, the others will catch it.

On the other hand, if it's making you uncomfortable, this site is supposed to be fun, after all.

If you just want an avatar, ask at the end of this thread: No Geek Left Behind... (How to get an Avatar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Tall_Walt wrote:
For boxes, watch out for small edition changes or different languages.

This is worth emphasizing strongly. We want a good quality box cover image (and ideally also one of the back of the box) for every single edition ever published of a game. So only decline such an image if it's the exact same edition as already exists, and it's not of noticeably higher quality. (And a 2D cover is always preferred over a 3D cover.)

Of course, if there's no visual changes at all between editions, then the same cover image can be reused - but frequently there's new award logos, or a slightly different position for the names of the designers, or a different publisher logo, or any of a host of other similar changes, and we want those all visible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herb:

Let me ask you this, along the same lines as the OP's question.

The instructions explicitly state photos/images that are too large should be declined; however, only "too small" is given as a rationale. There were several photos on my first time using GeekMod that exceeded the 1900 pixel cap. If you decline without a reason, well, you can't!

Any information or help is appreciated!

ldp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ldpaulson wrote:
Herb:

The instructions explicitly state photos/images that are too large should be declined; however, only "too small" is given as a rationale. There were several photos on my first time using GeekMod that exceeded the 1900 pixel cap. If you decline without a reason, well, you can't!

ldp

Some time ago BGG revised the options (reasons) for declining an image. There had been an option for "Other" which you could type in a reason. But too many abused the text edit field with nasty comments so it was removed. Now you just have to do what you can.

The too big/too small is weird to me. The image size is available in the meta information of the picture. Don't know why BGG doesn't just dump those via a size test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
ldpaulson wrote:
Herb:

ldp

I've been asking for the other boxes for a while; just pick another reason (too small for too large is fine). If it gets declined and the person doesn't understand why, if they geekmail me I should be able to see why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
Don't know why BGG doesn't just dump those via a size test.

Because moderators have the discretion to ignore the rules and approve anything they think is worthy.

It was before the 1900 pixel rule, but I posted a composite image showing the first dozen or so moves of Laska. It's tall not wide, so you can easily scroll through the moves and read the annotations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help Herb and indigopotter.

We shall see how this first round of modding goes.

Thank you for your insights!

ldp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the same thing happen. Sometimes I have helpful moments, so I thought I'd give this geekmodding thing a go. I've probably wasted about half an hour now (over two sessions), clicking skip on each item because I didn't feel qualified to judge. D'oh!

The articles are confusing me (nothing unusual about that, I admit). I read one of them and thought "that should just be a game forum post" so I went and checked, and it was already visible in the forum. So are articles in the geekmod list just threads that are being checked to make sure they aren't offensive or in the wrong place, and if necessary deleted or moved after the fact?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you see the same article in geekmod than in the forum, you are seeing a double-post.

Either the submitter has clicked "This is good post", in which case it goes through geekmod, or submitted into session reports, and got impatient about the wait and then reposted.

(If a post/thread is flagged as "Wrong Forum", it goes to forum admins, not to geekmod.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
If you see the same article in geekmod than in the forum, you are seeing a double-post.

Either the submitter has clicked "This is good post", in which case it goes through geekmod, or submitted into session reports, and got impatient about the wait and then reposted.

(If a post/thread is flagged as "Wrong Forum", it goes to forum admins, not to geekmod.)

Thanks. So where are articles meant to end up once they've made it through geekmod?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Article Geekmod window shows the location in the "Forum" line (second from the top).

If it's the same that you see the same/similar post in already, then you can reject with good conscience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
is the maximum image size still to be applied? I'm rejecting most of these...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.