Subject: Modern alternatives to Runewars (Order system) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Control Denied
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In particular, I like the order system where each player has a set of actions that they choose from. The constraint creates a different feel then a more open ended "do a thing or two on your turn," because the broad strategy of the game is broken into actions. Whereas in the other case things like resource gathering is a function of upkeep or other automatically recurring element, This system tends to make the player have to push their engine along.

I was wondering if there is a more modern design that has a similar system. By modern, I mean something that would be easily available and something slightly more-streamlined. I don't want it too streamlined, but I feel like Runewars is a novel subsystem or two too much.

I imagine Blood Rage would be a suggestion, but I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for. (It seems solid otherwise, but not sure if it fits the niche I am looking for).

Along the FFG lines, there is Forbidden Stars, but I don't know too much about that (sounded good, but combat can be long). I can probably get a copy of Twilight Imperium, if I look (though length is a bit much for me).

Outside of that non-FFG game that has a similar system (in my eyes) would be Scythe, but I own that already.

Are there any other recommendations you have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thorne
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't know what type of theme you like, but games where you are able to choose between different actions within your turn, that pop into my mind right now are:

Eclipse
Exodus: Proxima Centauri
Cry Havoc
Imperial Settlers
Omega Centauri
Clash of Cultures
Kemet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Control Denied
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Laoakai wrote:
I don't know what type of theme you like, but games where you are able to choose between different actions within your turn, that pop into my mind right now are:

Eclipse
Exodus: Proxima Centauri
Cry Havoc
Imperial Settlers
Omega Centauri
Clash of Cultures
Kemet

Thanks! I've heard good things about Cry Havoc, Clash of Cultures, and Exodus: Proxima Centauri, but don't really know how they play. Never heard of Omega Centauri, I'll have to check it out. (Already own Kemet and Eclipse, ).

I'm game for any theme, but would generally prefer something that doesn't slot into a theme I already have (more like a tie-breaker than a deal-breaker).

I've also been reeaallly tempted to pick up Inis. The only thing is that it's kind of pricey for what it is. Miniature-wise, I could pick up Blood Rage for cheaper and it probably would be more welcomed in the groups I game in. Of course, the art is just beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assault of the Giants has an order system that reminds me of Rune wars.

I would give FS a shot. It is fantastic at 3,and pretty good at two, and the combat I don't think really takes that long.

If you want more of a Euro feel, Onward to Venus has some cool card play for actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Control Denied
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OOooo, just looking at Assault of the Giants. Yeah that system looks very similar.

I've seen pictures of Onward to Venus, and I love the art, but don't know anything about the game play. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not quite what you're after, butInis has a set of actions you can take that is constrained by a card draft. There are almost no free actions you can take without having a card, do your entire turn is based around what cards you can draft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Control Denied
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
Maybe not quite what you're after, butInis has a set of actions you can take that is constrained by a card draft. There are almost no free actions you can take without having a card, do your entire turn is based around what cards you can draft.

I'm definitely interested in Innis that game has been in and out of my online shopping cart like 4 times in the past week. Can't decide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.