Popular Tags: [View All]
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a PNP of the OSR version of MiniRogue, which uses all black and white art, often with old line drawings from early D&D books. Further, the cards are made as if they are connecting caverns. I really like this evocative art. I’m using version 1.2.1 of the rules. Combined, these offer 2-3 additional options for variety in replay. These are the Thief and the Key, which can also be combined by making the key available on the thief card.

The game does need 4d6, and about 9 tokens. I used a variety of acrylic gems, mini glass flats, and cubes as my tokens. Dice included, I adopted an orange, red, black color pallet, evocative of ruby studded torch lit caverns. Only 12 of the cards need to be stiff enough to shuffle. If you can cut in a straight line and have card sleeves or can print to cardstock, you can craft this.

Game 1: base rules, normal difficulty. I lost at the final boss of level 3. I made it to rank 2, and if I’d won that fight would have made it to rank 3. I had 3 armor, 4 food, and a fire spell from early on that was not quite enough. I did have choices: which route to go, which reward to take, what to buy in preparation for the boss of a level, etc. Yet, as a rogue-like, dice do affect you. I don’t think I won any item in 7 treasure rooms. And, due to the cards, I ended up with an unavoidable fight right before the boss; a double whammy that was just too much. OTOH, while just using d6, the system incorporates both misses, and critical hits. The critical hits are a form of exploding die, with a bit of push your luck element too. But, there is a feat system to help mitigate luck in combat. My loss took about 45 minutes.

Game 2: Key, normal difficulty. I won! I focused more on HP, and less on food and armor. Also, I did find some good treasure, including 3 healing spells (8 HP each) over the course of the game. In area 9 I fell into a pit trap down to area 12, a whole level down. This did let me skip a boss. At the end, I was only rank 3 and only had 4 armor, but I had max HP. Finding the key was never hard. My win took an hour and 10 minutes, which puts it right around the length of Friday for me. Thematically, I prefer this to Friday.

Game 3: Thief, normal difficulty. I lost. Pit trap in room 1! A thief then beat me up because I did not have the weapon he wanted to steal from me (I applied the penalty for a trap penalty you can’t meet). On level 2 I fought an unavoidable monster and then got hit by an unavoidable trap before dying at the hands of the wererat boss. I only earned 1 XP! My loss took about 20 minutes.

Game 4: Thief, normal difficulty. I won! I made it to rank 4. I was on max HP for the final fight, before going down for a couple of feats to reroll misses. I had 3 criticals for the final fight, so I took him down with raw fighting skill and no spells. I only got a healing spell once during the game, so instead I bought lots of big healing potions at the merchant. This time around the thieves were only interested in food and gold a couple of times. I also got an ice spell for the first time. Due to my rank, I was able to disable a few traps (50% chance at rank 3). My win took an hour and 17 minutes, which is not bad for going through every single room. I like playing with the thief; he means you can not count on a room card coming out in a particular area! This both adds to the variability and the difficulty. I’d not play the thief until you win a game, but then I’d not play without him.

I’m impressed that so much game, simplified D&D or simplified Rogue, is packed into this game in ways that fit, maintaining the theme while keeping the simplicity. I’m very glad to have found this. If you prefer an even more compact form of this game, you can print the original version on 9 color cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
In area 9 I fell into a pit trap down to area 12, a whole level down. This did let me skip a boss.

Oups, I think during my games I consider the pit trap to drag you "back" in the dungeon and make your trip longer but you seem to say that it's the opposite way and the trap brings you faster to the end of the dungeon wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the pit trap makes you fall into a deeper, lower area. So, all of a sudden, you get a difficulty spike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.