Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I was wondering, how does Pacific War hold-up against the current class of wargames? I have a chance to pick up a copy and I just wanted to know other people's views on this?

Thanks,
turks1966
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is one of my top 5 favorite wargames. There are a few design puzzles in doing such a game, and his solutions are very innovative. He shifts time, for example, which sound like it could be horrible but works in this context, as there were air battles where the time of day mattered, but land combat was done over weeks. One of the largest puzzles is how do you allow a Midway, where the IJN was surprised? His solution is the best I have seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Winright
United States
Bellevue
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Still one of my favorites as well, even after all this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Its as good now as it was when it was first published. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
There's still nothing comparable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacques Mouchard
France
Seine et Marne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Definitively one of my favorite !
Innovative and ... very "brain-breaker"!

A must to have. But difficult to find adversary and enough space and time to play laugh

Don't hesitate anyway.

Cheers,

Jacques
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of it is intuitive and standard fare. God is on the side of the big battalions. Spotting is all important at sea. Faster planes shoot down slower ones. Big guns win naval battles. Well trained and equipped infantry carry the day.

The attacker embarks his marines and sails 1 or more task forces for some island till he is spotted, counting time for each hex moved. The spotter might be the ground defenders, ships in port, dedicated long range sea planes, float planes from cruisers, medium ground based bombers or carrier air wings. The closer you get to a searcher the better its chances. A canny defender has a network of planes covering his territory.

When the attacker is spotted he stops and the defender sails his ships. Depending on the intelligence condition the defense will move as far as the attackers or half that distance or till he's spotted. If you have the enemy codes you sail as soon as he does and your ships will be in place for the landing. If not outlying islands are easy pickings. Superb intel doesn't let you invade when you're outnumbered, that would just be asking for trouble.

Then air strikes, ground attacks and naval moves are interspersed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Ljungberg
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great game. There are proberbly new games that are better in certin areas as play time, tactical simulation, graphics but is still one of the best over all Pacific War games.

Played both the campaigne and some scenarion last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ditto all of the above.

Mark Herman's alteration of the Igo-Ugo to the Active and Reaction player with the unusual treatment of time is the very best I have ever seen. I'd always hoped to find it elsewhere but never have.

This game is being updated and republished (but I forget by who), however, I would not hesitate to grab a copy.

I still have very fond memories of an incredbibly hard fought Japanese Victory in the 'Breaking the Bismarck Barrier' scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the ('85?) version were to be released whole cloth today as a new game, it would still be the best on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, you made an old guy smile. I'm glad you liked the game.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeOberly wrote:
If the ('85?) version were to be released whole cloth today as a new game, it would still be the best on the subject.

No one knows what "coming soon" means in French, but it's out there ...

http://www.nutspublishing.com/Pacific-War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned it for years but have not played it as much as I would have liked.

What I like about the game even more today is the base 10 system. What I mean is that even someone new, can look at their counters and get a good sense of how good their guys are. I never noticed how nice that is for people new to the system. Games like Victory in Normandy and Solomon Sea can be played by new people because it is obvious what your chances are. The 1d6 system of Victory in the Pacific is good but not as good as base 10. Start using 2d6 and you start losing people...well maybe not the Vegas types.

My father in law never played a wargame in his life but we played the Relief of Wake Island scenario and he didn't feel lost right at the start. The d10 and small scenario was a big plus.

Not so good, my eyes. The counters seem to have shrunk a bit.

The loss counters you have to put under the counters are a pain. No clue on how to get around it though, maybe on VASSAL or printing a LOT of counters which I am all for. Maybe a loss sled or something so you can see how much damage the unit has taken? Not a big deal but I do wish there was another way around it. Maybe damage dice or something?

All of the scenarios and programmed instruction. Perfect. Even the less gamed campaigns are included.

VASSAL module exists. It appears to be an excellent PBEM game.

No cards, not a fan of the CDG trend so not having to deal with them I like. I know they are very popular so maybe not so good for the wider market who prefer CDG. Although I did see a solitaire system for the WW2 Pacific game, now THAT might be fun.

Map still looks good to me, wish it was mounted but many games now are published with paper maps. I did recently buy Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965 (25th Anniversary Edition) and could not figure out why it was so heavy.

No plotting required which I think people still prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
ctcharger wrote:

The loss counters you have to put under the counters are a pain. No clue on how to get around it though, maybe on VASSAL or printing a LOT of counters which I am all for.

PW may be unplayable for me, at least without a magnifying glass. I'm no longer able to resolve type at the point size on the back of the counters. Sucks, because I think the game would otherwise be right in my wheelhouse.

Cards with ship stats might be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The VASSAL or cyberboard can help with that and the vassal module has dynamic stats so no need for step counters. Also, it would make your game play cat proof (mostly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtngrown wrote:
ctcharger wrote:

The loss counters you have to put under the counters are a pain. No clue on how to get around it though, maybe on VASSAL or printing a LOT of counters which I am all for.

PW may be unplayable for me, at least without a magnifying glass. I'm no longer able to resolve type at the point size on the back of the counters. Sucks, because I think the game would otherwise be right in my wheelhouse.

Cards with ship stats might be nice.

As great as Victory Games was, a lot of their designs used tiny counter font. I didn't have an issue with it then, and it was the style of the time to be sure, but a lot of the games have counters that are difficult for me (and not just me) to read now.

I suppose it goes to show how good the designs were that people still play them so much now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP: yes, PW is definitely worth acquiring.

The data on PW counters are tiny but reasonably legible (bold), unlike those for Flat Top which are almost to thin to see without a microscope.

As for VG, just don't get me started on the Gulf Strike debacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Bermar
Sweden
flag msg tools
Still one of the best games ever designed and most fun to play. As mentioned before the challenge is to find the table space, the time, and a dedicated opponent player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
To the OP: yes, PW is definitely worth acquiring.

The data on PW counters are tiny but reasonably legible (bold), unlike those for Flat Top which are almost to thin to see without a microscope.

As for VG, just don't get me started on the Gulf Strike debacle.

Yup, I would recommend this one, I find it quite enjoyable when I find the time to play it. Or you could wait for the promised "2nd Edition." But by the time it comes out, you may be too old to remember the rules

And I SOOOOOO wanna get you started on the "Gulf Strike Debacle," but this is probably the wrong thread for thatninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gulf Strike: Briefly, there was an apparent mix-up when the colours were assigned to the various nation's forces.

The result was some pretty much unreadable counters - black on very dark purple, for instance; just about legible under direct sunlight, but useless in artificial lighting.

Fortunately, they were only some minor force (Oman?) so it isn't game breaking.

The actual game is very good, as you would expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
http://wp.me/p3euWn-75VFCN lots of game play on me blog!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I note that you wrote "Each hex affords a chance to detect and this activate Interceptors" in your Invasion of Wake replay that you linked to. That is not quite correct; per 26L-0 you can try to Detect a Mission air unit every time it enters a hex containing an enemy ground unit, naval unit, airfield, port, Offensive Support Base, or Headquarters". So you can't search for the air mission while it is moving overland or (in this case) overseas through hexes that contain none of the enemy units above; you can only search for it when it actually enters the Wake hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Yes. First play SNAFU. Got set straight by my opponent when we face off. Good catch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Petras
msg tools
Glad to hear people are using the module. I haven't worked on the module much lately but if people are interested I will.

I had started making the US Navy counters dynamic when I stopped working on it. I can post that version if anyone wants it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Want

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.