Michael Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As the title suggests. Searching for worker placement games that have the personal quest mechanism found in Waterdeep.

In a recent playthrough, the gf admitted that she likes the element of the personal quests (not mandatory quests) in Waterdeep. She enjoys the gathering of the required resources needed for completing the quests. As many others, we only play the game with both expansions, since they adds a lot more to the game. The balance that comes with the corruption, and the extra placement spots seem to take away some of the meanness of blocking.

We also enjoy Asking for Trobils quite a bit.

We have played Champions of Midgard, reading somewhere that it was a "better Waterdeep"...and although it is good, IMO it is definitely not better. I liked it, though, and am excited about the expansions that just funded through KS.

What do you play that is similar?

Thank you, in advance, for engaging in a positive and supportive way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiders of the North Sea is similar'ish. We really enjoy that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo definitely gives you a lot of that same feeling.

I really enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Look into Century: Spice Road later this year. Also, Quests of Valeria.

For slightly meatier games look into Voyages of Marco Polo and Orleans with the Trade expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And one more that we enjoy, on a smaller scale, is Targi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oath of the Brotherhood is remarkably similar to LoW, but the two kinds of worker and special powers of itens give it a different flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic suggestions! Thank you, and keep them coming!

We played the short version of Forge War last night. As a first attempt, it took a round or two to figure out a strategy, and to stop screwing up my turn (poor selection of quests). Definitely a good game, though. I enjoyed the gathering and planning for the quests. Looking forward to playing the epic version. Might try a solo shot, first, then maybe a "fast-forward" runthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Shaw
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Too many games, too little time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavern Tavern is kind of like Lords of Waterdeep meets Kingsburg.

The quest mechanism is provided by you having to collect ingredients to fulfil drinks orders for customers in the tavern. The mechanism for collecting the ingredients is dice placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavern Tavern is on my table, ready to learn. Thanks!

Just played Quests of Valeria tonight. Great suggestion! Played a two player, and then a solo game. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Snowdonia. I know it's not a flashy theme, but I like the theme anyway. In this game you may collect contract cards to fulfill for bonus points, similar to LoW, except you'll probably only do 3 or 4 per game.

You list Snowdonia as "Owned", but with so many games maybe you haven't gotten to it yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:
I like Snowdonia. I know it's not a flashy theme, but I like the theme anyway. In this game you may collect contract cards to fulfill for bonus points, similar to LoW, except you'll probably only do 3 or 4 per game.

You list Snowdonia as "Owned", but with so many games maybe you haven't gotten to it yet!

Right? With the state of my gaming at the moment, I don't have enough time left on this planet to play all the game I have! It's a good thing to see an up-tick of solo player games coming into the house, though. Cavern Tavern, Quests of Valeria, Forge War, Martians: A Story of Civilization, Colony, Camp Grizzly, all play 1+, and are all on my table to be played...soon! Thought that a hunt for games similar to LoW would help change that 1 to a 2. whistle

Thanks for responding! Keep them coming. Gonna go "dig" Snowdonia out of the game room now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
I didn't see Tiny Epic Quest called out. Kickstarter delivery is due in August, assume that retail is close behind. I liked it because it had a similar personal quest element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drimacus wrote:
I didn't see Tiny Epic Quest called out. Kickstarter delivery is due in August, assume that retail is close behind. I liked it because it had a similar personal quest element.

I backed this one. Very much looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haim Gurov Gelbart
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
No, I don't know what I'm saying...
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I haven't played it myself, I've heard that a similar game, which some even prefer to LOW is Yedo. It is supposed to be slightly more complicated, but not by much, if you are already playing with both expansions. Sorry for not talking from personal experience, but I hope this helps someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clarkkent22 wrote:
jdw734 wrote:

Right? With the state of my gaming at the moment, I don't have enough time left on this planet to play all the game I have! It's a good thing to see an up-tick of solo player games coming into the house, though. Cavern Tavern, Quests of Valeria, Forge War, Martians: A Story of Civilization, Colony, Camp Grizzly, all play 1+, and are all on my table to be played...soon! Thought that a hunt for games similar to LoW would help change that 1 to a 2. whistle

Thanks for responding! Keep them coming. Gonna go "dig" Snowdonia out of the game room now.
PS Snowdonia plays solo and has a healthy solo community!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukus Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simurgh, the witcher, archon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.