Popular Tags: [View All]
Bianca Summers
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have no idea how to reply to a certain person's comment. Whenever I try to reply to them, it goes all the way to the bottom of the page? Can someone please just give me a quick lesson in what all the replying options are on the bottom right of someone's comment?
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bsiler0825 wrote:
I have no idea how to reply to a certain person's comment. Whenever I try to reply to them, it goes all the way to the bottom of the page? Can someone please just give me a quick lesson in what all the replying options are on the bottom right of someone's comment?
Thank you!

See the quote box above my text? This shows that I'm replying specifically to you. For this option you want to choose "QuickQuote". Your reply box will still jump all the way down to the bottom, but there will be text between quote tags. You can then type your reply below that text, hit "post" and the post will look like this one.

If you just hit "reply" or "QuickReply" it will open a blank window for you. You can use that when you are replying to the original post in a thread and not a specific post later on in the thread. The difference between the "quick" option and the regular option is that choosing the regular option will bring you to a new screen where there are more customization options for your post. Mostly I use QuickReply or QuickQuote.

Add a roll is just a feature for rolling a die, so it's a good way to get a random number if you're playing a game or such.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bsiler0825 wrote:
I have no idea how to reply to a certain person's comment. Whenever I try to reply to them, it goes all the way to the bottom of the page?

Yes, message threads are linear at BGG (as at many sites), not tree structured (as at many other sites).

So if you are replying to something far from the end, it is usually good to quote it so people see the context you're commenting on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca Summers
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
Bsiler0825 wrote:
Thank you!

See the quote box above my text? This shows that I'm replying specifically to you. For this option you want to choose "QuickQuote". Your reply box will still jump all the way down to the bottom, but there will be text between quote tags. You can then type your reply below that text, hit "post" and the post will look like this one.

If you just hit "reply" or "QuickReply" it will open a blank window for you. You can use that when you are replying to the original post in a thread and not a specific post later on in the thread. The difference between the "quick" option and the regular option is that choosing the regular option will bring you to a new screen where there are more customization options for your post. Mostly I use QuickReply or QuickQuote.

Add a roll is just a feature for rolling a die, so it's a good way to get a random number if you're playing a game or such.

Hope that helps.

Testing this out a bit. So if I quick reply back to you, do you get a notification that I wrote back? Or will you have to keep checking the page and searching for our conversation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Dunn
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing about QuickQuote is that if someone has something in their post formatted in a way you want to copy, you can press QuickQuote and when it comes up you will be able to see the behind-the-scenes formatting that makes it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bsiler0825 wrote:
So if I quick reply back to you, do you get a notification that I wrote back? Or will you have to keep checking the page and searching for our conversation?

There is no notification that someone replied specifically to your comment. (A given comment can quote more than one previous comment and more than one other user, by the way.)

But you can subscribe to threads (via the Subscribe link) and be notified whenever anyone posts any new comment to the thread.

You can also modify your subscription preferences (on your subscription notification page) so that you are automatically subscribed to any thread which you create or to which you add a comment, to save you the trouble of remembering to manually subscribe to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Dunn
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bsiler0825 wrote:
Soleia wrote:
Bsiler0825 wrote:
Thank you!

Hope that helps.

Testing this out a bit. So if I quick reply back to you, do you get a notification that I wrote back? Or will you have to keep checking the page and searching for our conversation?

The person will not get notified that you responded to them specifically, but often they will have subscribed to the thread via the 'Subscribe' option in the header and then they will be notified of all posts since they last viewed the thread.

ninja Ninja'd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.