Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: VOTE! How often should a new scenario be released during the reprinting campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so there have been concerns expressed about playing a new scenario every day during the Kickstarter in order to participate in the community-driven mini-campaign. People just may not have the time or be in the right time zone to do that every day and then vote on where the campaign goes next.

So I thought I would leave the choice up to you all. This poll isn't final, and I am not committing to the result. The pace may even change in the middle of the Kickstarter if I feel the community wants it to change. This poll is more just to test the waters and see if there is an overwhelming preference one way or another.
Poll
How often should a new scenario for the community-driven mini-campaign be released during the reprint Kickstarter?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Every day.
10.5% 60
Every two days.
20.7% 118
Every three days.
68.8% 393
Voters 571
This poll is now closed.   571 answers
Poll created by Cephalofair
Closes: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Kilo
msg tools
Perhaps one thing to consider is that not every scenario has to result in branching paths, so that if we can't keep up with the pace, we could at least try to skip ahead to the deterministic scenarios to stay on the same page, so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the suggestion in one of the other threads, that you could do Road/City events or some other smaller poll in between the actual scenarios, that still shapes the mini-campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People need to stop slacking and want it more. 3 to 5am is the best time to play Gloomhaven anyways. What else would you be doing? Quitters never win and Winners never sleep!! Plus, you'll probably get to retire a whole party of characters before the end of the campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
no laws in ceres... just cops.
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:
I liked the suggestion in one of the other threads, that you could do Road/City events or some other smaller poll in between the actual scenarios, that still shapes the mini-campaign.

Ohhh, I like this idea.

I voted for the 'every 3 days' scenario, but you could do a cycle of:
Scenario / City Event / Road Event

repeat for the duration of the campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Nabedian
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
All out of bubblegum
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote goes for:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
every day, but for the simple reason that it will produce more free content

One complaint I hear is that keeping up with the daily scenarios to vote, even if it is just a read-through, would spoil the content for you. Here is a thought: what if you were to run the campaign in sort of a Mad-Lib style. What I mean is, what if you generate a scenario every day and still keep it secret until the end of the Kickstarter, but for each day's content you ask a series of questions that are answered by the community without knowing the context. You then use the top answers to generate the next day's scenario. So you might tell us a generic "mood" or "theme" that the scenario is going for and ask things like "What type of weenie monster would you expect to find here?", "Do you think you would be honorable or devious?", "Are Oozes a better spread on toast or crackers?". You would then weave those answers into the storyline of the next scenario. This way, backers are involved daily and can speculate on where you will be taking us, but the end result will be fresh when we finally get it in our hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Avelar
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the 3 days would be cool and maybe new road and city cards that we can vote on the off days. I am so happy that more people will get Gloomhaven sooner than expected.

Gloomhaven is the GOAT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, yes, road events are a good idea. Basically extra story snippets that people can read and vote on without having to play through a scenario. I think that is a very good addition for the off days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Avelar
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the 3 days would be cool and maybe new road and city cards that we can vote on the off days. I am so happy that more people will get Gloomhaven sooner than expected.

Gloomhaven is the GOAT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
My comment in the other thread was to still do a scenario daily, but to only have every other scenario be part of the "main story". With the even numbered scenarios being "Road events" or other things that happen.

We could still vote on every scenario, by picking story-decisions for the odd-numbered scenarios and theme/gimmick for the even-numbered ones.

But that would give people 2 days to vote instead of just 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zhi liao
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Can the first road event be a return to the Pie eating contest you were suppose to have from the first kickstarter? Can we add a hotdog eating contest as a stretch goal for the reprint KS please? I probably won't order another copy of gloomhaven since I am only 5 scenarios deep so its going to take a while for me to finish, but I would throw money in for the hot dog eating contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Who knows where the mini-campaign will take us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I'd only be interested in road cards if they get printed!

edit: voted every 3 days because there was no more infrequent option!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted every three days just because life can get in the way.

I also have discovered that I don't really enjoy soloing Gloomhaven, plus the idea of voting on City and Road events on the "off days" is just cool too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Wolf
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe something like this per week:
DAY 1 - City Event with Vote
DAY 2 - Road Event with Vote
DAY 3 - Scenario without Vote
DAY 4 - City Event with Vote
DAY 5 - Road Event with Vote
DAY 6 - Scenario with Vote
DAY 7 - Extra Day to Play/Vote

I'd think most groups could meet at least once per week and this would allow a lot of input without having to play as frequently for those unable to. I know it would be tough for our group, and probably many others to do more frequently than this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the scenarios, city event cards and road event cards could be packaged as an item on the Kickstarter. Perhaps with a printed version of the single character quests. I would love to get these additional contents printed professionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How would a vote system even work? Certainly not through the comment section on the KS. You probably can't tell people to go get a bgg account either. The only solution is in-person balloting with proper state ID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolffrostbrew wrote:

I agree with this suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Esvath wrote:
wolffrostbrew wrote:

I agree with this suggestion.

Well, the scenarios could still have a vote at the end to help determine what the party does next, the city and road events don't have to even be related to the main story, just things that happen along the way, like normal events.

The events could even not have a vote, and just be things we choose for ourselves and accept the consequences for the next scenario.

The real question is how those of us in the middle of campaigns should be treating these. But I guess that's something for Isaac to work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we're most likely going to love whatever you'll do and however you'll do it...

but for heaven's sake, don't kill yourself, isaac!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan H
United States
California
flag msg tools
I think 3 days may be perfect, depending how active the community is. My group most likely won't be able to keep up with the pace, but I don't mind being a scenario or two behind and then catching back up when we find time to play on the weekend or whenever. It means we will only be involved in every other scenario vote, or something like that, but as long as there are enough people voting on each scenario that seems fine. I do think if the scenarios are daily there simply won't be enough votes to be meaningful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bennett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However frequent it turns out to be I'm planning on live streaming a playthrough of each scenario as they are released during the Kickstarter so even if people can't play through each scenario themselves in time they can watch it live, or the recording on YouTube, and still have time to vote and influence the story branches.

https://www.youtube.com/user/StatenLandt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
I really like the City and Road events idea. Not only does it make sense and give us more time to process the thing, but you could even conceivably bump it to four days per cycle.

Day 1: Post the city event, just the front half of the card. People talk / text / email among their group to figure out what results their group picks.
Day 2: Post the results of the city event, probably using hyperlinks to avoid people accidentally spoiling the other result. Then post the road event, with people determining what their group picks same as above.
Day 3: Post the results of the road event, same as above. Then close down the poll from the previous scenario and announce the result.
Day 4: Post the next scenario and its associated poll.

This way people can catch up pretty easily if they need to and you only need to manage one poll every 4 days. It also results in a clean, round 8 scenarios if you open the KS with a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hancoski
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I can get my group to play every 3 days ... as much as I would like to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cruel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Every day a scenario is not a problem for solo players. I am more interested if those new scenarios will also have new gear cards ? Would like the idea of legendary equipment for every class like a armor set. This would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.