Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I know the cards are supposed to minimize the randomness compared to dice, but I had to share. We played last night and the miss cards were running fast and furious. The brute drew one, the mindthief two, spellweaver three, and scoundrel four. On the flips side, we drew 1 X2 between the four of us, in a relatively small dungeon. The monsters drew 2 and 2...but one of the misses was for
Spoiler (click to reveal)
a character being guided by the mindthief.
We fell in the final room, although I think some tactical errors had as much to do with it as luck.

Anyone else had a night where nothing went right or you could do no wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a similar experience last play on Scenario 14. All at least 5 misses total in our two character party (Mindthief and Scoundrel) including an 8 point kill hit on a big elite. Add on to that the same thing in your spoiler EXCEPT IT HAPPENED ON 3 OUT OF 4 total on those types of MT cards, the last of which was a loss card and was using the elite enemy for benefit (the same elite the Scoundrel had JUST missed).

Meanwhile I had to spend a card early because a monster getting a x2 on a +damage ability and the Scoundrel had to do so later on another monster x2. On our bless cards, they were pulled a total of 3x in the party...all instances were within the monster 1-2 points of dying.

So we overcame all of that and it came down to the last card. The monster had stats of 2 health/2 shield. 1 damage had already been done and the monster had 1 poison. The Mindthief and his Rat Swarm were all lined up, Rat Swarm gets one of a few -1 left in the deck, so doesn't do the one damage needed. The Mindthief is lined up for a 5 damage attack (6 including the poison). He only needs 1 damage. His last two ability cards, last character on the board. Null.

I house ruled the Null=0 variant for one attack and didn't feel bad since it was our second time through the scenario and the incredibly bad luck throughout(we are 50/50 on all scenarios, lose the first time, win the second). I don't expect to see that luck again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had lots of problems in Scenario 5 and constantly re-drawing the worst possible monster action from the monster deck:

Cultist: Summon Normal Living Bones, take 2 damage

It also doesn't help that in scenario 5:
All characters start with DISABLE, so it's basically impossible to stop them from summoning until turn 2 unless you've picked specific Perks, and even then you have to somehow walk past all of the living bones from turn 1 to shut the cultists down on turn 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got stories of good and bad luck.
Party: Mindthief (me), Tinkerer, Spellweaver, Cragheart

Bad Luck (scenario 71):
This scenario is get in, open all 3 chests, and get out (get to exit hexes). We get through most of the scenario alright, getting bottlenecked a bit, slowing us down. The Tinkerer gets cornered for a few rounds, taking some cards as hits. Eventually we have all the chests and we're in the final hallway, rushing for the exit. We end up with some wind demons on our tails shooting at me and the tinkerer. I'm giving my allies move 4 when I can, but that means I don't get a move (scurry was lost earlier). I am about to be exhausted and the tinkerer uses a card to rescue some cards from my discard. What we didn't know was that due to this, he was short a move action and exhausted 1 (just 1!) space away from the exit while the rest of us barely made it.

Good Luck (scenario 4):
We blitzed through room 1, taking everyone down very quickly and proceeded to room 2. I decided to open the small alcove and go invisible so we knew what we were dealing with. The spawned earth demons proceeded to block the door and the cultists drew their spawn living bones cards , first time of 3. We eventually get it manageable and the tinkerer heads to the large alcove so we don't run too far behind. The spellweaver and I start moving to join him, leaving the cragheart to handle the last bits of the small room. Eventually everything is gone except a wind demon in the large room, including me, the tinkerer, and the spellweaver. The cragheart makes the slow trek up and is on his last 2 cards, one of which is a destroy an obstacle and deal damage. The demon is at 5 health (2 dmg) and poisoned. The cragheart makes the final attack of the scenario, base 4 attack, +1 for poison, -2 for shield. He somehow pulls his +2 card attack card, squeaking out a win for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had my Mind thief TPK parties of Forest Imps by making just one's head explode and the shrapnel taking out his buddies.

Gosh I love the Cranial Explosion card.

My mind thief's modifier deck is so stacked he is capable of just insane feats of offense. There is nothing like having him run up to a big ole' baddie and score a critical hit of nearly 20 damage.

Scratchy, you're the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the first two scenarios and drawn all of my miss cards but none of my x2 cards (I've had a total of one bless and three curses in those games). I still think strategy has played a far bigger part in the outcomes that luck though so it hasn't bothered me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son routinely gets better draws than me. Like first attack of the scenario 1 hit killing a monster with a x2 draw that sank my Battle Goal (he has wrecked two of them with crazy lucky draws). He gets hit with the -1s usually and I get hit with the +2 and x2s. I donated every time and didn't see a blessing until the 5th scenario when it paired with an Attack 1 followed by my x2 card paired with another Attack 1 (same lvl 1 attack against 2 monsters).

To be fair though I think I did 12 damage once when my son used his Mindthief jedi powers and made me attack something (it had 1 point of life left before I hit it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d w
Sweden
flag msg tools
Our Spellweaver in our game today did an AoE attack with a non-modified 5 damage against 3 enemies, each with 3 or 4 Shield. Drew Bless, Bless and +2 to burn down all three targets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My party consists of a Tinkerer (me), Spellweaver (wife), and Cragheart (friend). It was the end of scenario 2, the Cragheart was exhausted, and it was my turn. We were beat up pretty bad and our success hinged on my action card. If I could defeat this one specific enemy then we win, otherwise the Tinkerer and/or Spellweaver would likely die. And the only way to defeat it was to draw my x2 card. Flip the card... x2.

My action deck had recently reshuffled and only 1 or 2 cards had been drawn. At that point I still had 3 curse cards (mine and 2 of the extras) in there somewhere. Amazing. The Spellweaver was able to mop up the remaining enemies on her turn and we won the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandros
msg tools

Oozes!

We pulled the card which doubles them, so there was a big scary mob. We pulled the same card in next round and the room was flooded with oozes. Finally we pulled the same card again and they all died whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I find the luck from what the AI deck draws much more dependant in swinging the game than the combat modifier decks. We have had enemies kill themselves without doing anything, just thanks to the AI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.