Popular Tags: [View All]
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not yet playtested these proposed cards. These cards are intended to add to the variety, flavor, theme, and unused mechanics of the game, without upsetting the balance.

I could use some help to make them in the OSR art style, and shrink the text. If I do my own pencil art, I *might* be able to scan it, but I could still use help as I'm likely to make a crude prototype for playtesting 1st.

Unusual Events Card:
This card can replace either the Thief or the Events card.
Art: a circular chamber with a large pentagram in the center.

Roll 1d6 to see what kind of challenge this is.

1, Puzzle: You must roll your rank dice in sequential order. (If rank 3, then 123, 234, 345, or 456.) (Rank of 1 automatically succeeds.) May spend feats to reroll dice. Fail: lose rank # of XP. Succeed: +1 XP.
2, Reanimated Monster: Fight this level’s monster again. Reroll its HP. Treat it as if it had level # of armor though! (It came back tougher.) Reward: same XP as normal + level # of GP.
3, Gambling Den: Wager up to 3 GP, then roll 1d6. Roll rank # of d6. If one of the rank d6 is greater than the 1st roll, then double the wager, otherwise lose wager.
4, Local Teleport: If this card is in a column of 2, take the other option, otherwise repeat the previous card, rerolling anew.
5, Wishing Well: You may spend 1 GP to roll 1d6. On a 6, roll for an item. On a 2-5, remove Cursed (no effect if not cursed).
6, Cursed: Your feats cost twice as much. (Give yourself a token as a reminder of your cursed condition.) (Being cursed twice has no additional effect.)

Lava Room Card:
This card can replace the Thief card.
Art: should be a rectangular room with a rim around a lava pit and a pillar in the center.

Roll 1d6 for the reward, and then the player may choose to make a skill roll. Fail: -1 XP, -1 HP, & -1 GP. Succeed: Keep this card as a reminder of which reward you’ve won. Afterwards, return it to the draw pile.

1, Blessing: Your next feat is free, or cancel Cursed. (You may choose when to redeem this.)
2, Wand of Weakness: 1 charge. -2 damage from any monster or boss.
3, Elixir of Transmutation: Once, may convert 1 GP <-> 1 food, 1 GP <-> 1 HP, or 1 food <-> 1 HP.
4, Gloves of Skillfulness: 1 charge. +1 to a chosen skill roll.
5, Choker of Persuasion: Permanent. You may sell items to the merchant for +1 gold more than normal.
6, Scroll of Charm Monster: Once, make a skill roll to defeat a monster. (The skill roll counts as your attack, so if you fail, the monster counter-attacks.) Does not work on bosses or if you’ve already attacked the monster.

These 2 cards can be used together, by replacing the Events card and not using the Thief.

Edit 1:
6 Monsters: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25445976#25445976
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside, I want to bump the trap's Spring Blades damage up to level HP (on level 4, lose 4 HP, etc), as I think that will keep traps slightly dangerous with increasing levels, and thus keep some tension up. It makes sense to me that at least some traps get more dangerous the deeper you go, and this keeps the player from ignoring the trap card as insignificant on the lower levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna try these out.
thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
Aside, I want to bump the trap's Spring Blades damage up to level HP (on level 4, lose 4 HP, etc), as I think that will keep traps slightly dangerous with increasing levels, and thus keep some tension up. It makes sense to me that at least some traps get more dangerous the deeper you go, and this keeps the player from ignoring the trap card as insignificant on the lower levels.

This is funny, this is what we have in the MR 2 rules. All traps are now based on the Dungeon's Level. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not yet playtested these proposed cards. These cards are intended to add to the variety, flavor, theme, and unused mechanics of the game, without upsetting the balance.

I could use some help to make them in the OSR art style, and shrink the text. If I do my own pencil art, I *might* be able to scan it, but I could still use help as I'm likely to make a crude prototype for playtesting 1st.

Unusual Events Card:
This card can replace either the Thief or the Events card.
Art: a circular chamber with a large pentagram in the center.

Roll 1d6 to see what kind of challenge this is.

1, Puzzle: You must roll your rank dice in sequential order. (If rank 3, then 123, 234, 345, or 456.) (Rank of 1 automatically succeeds.) May spend feats to reroll dice. Fail: lose rank # of XP. Succeed: +1 XP.
2, Reanimated Monster: Fight this level’s monster again. Reroll its HP. Treat it as if it had level # of armor though! (It came back tougher.) Reward: same XP as normal + level # of GP.
3, Gambling Den: Wager up to 3 GP, then roll 1d6. Roll rank # of d6. If one of the rank d6 is greater than the 1st roll, then double the wager, otherwise lose wager.
4, Local Teleport: If this card is in a column of 2, take the other option, otherwise repeat the previous card, rerolling anew.
5, Wishing Well: You may spend 1 GP to roll 1d6. On a 6, roll for an item. On a 2-5, remove Cursed (no effect if not cursed).
6, Cursed: Your feats cost twice as much. (Give yourself a token as a reminder of your cursed condition.) (Being cursed twice has no additional effect.)

Lava Room Card:
This card can replace the Thief card.
Art: should be a rectangular room with a rim around a lava pit and a pillar in the center.

Roll 1d6 for the reward, and then the player may choose to make a skill roll. Fail: -1 XP, -1 HP, & -1 GP. Succeed: Keep this card as a reminder of which reward you’ve won. Afterwards, return it to the draw pile.

1, Blessing: Your next feat is free, or cancel Cursed. (You may choose when to redeem this.)
2, Wand of Weakness: 1 charge. -2 damage from any monster or boss.
3, Elixir of Transmutation: Once, may convert 1 GP <-> 1 food, 1 GP <-> 1 HP, or 1 food <-> 1 HP.
4, Gloves of Skillfulness: 1 charge. +1 to a chosen skill roll.
5, Choker of Persuasion: Permanent. You may sell items to the merchant for +1 gold more than normal.
6, Scroll of Charm Monster: Once, make a skill roll to defeat a monster. (The skill roll counts as your attack, so if you fail, the monster counter-attacks.) Does not work on bosses or if you’ve already attacked the monster.

These 2 cards can be used together, by replacing the Events card and not using the Thief.

Also, we have cursed and blessed mechanics in MR 2... but it's not what you'd expect... It's much more eldritch...

Edit: really digging how creative you where with the design space of Mini Rogue. I'd really like to try those extra cards out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As I state elsewhere, my recent plays have been with the OSR (black and white) version with version 1.2.1 of the rules. As such, I found it easier to PNP. Also, I like the connecting caverns on the OSR cards. And, I've played with both Thief and Key variants so far. Anyway, it is in that context that I proposed the extras above. There is a lot to like in this game; I merely wanted to enhance it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gab4tac wrote:

This is funny, this is what we have in the MR 2 rules. All traps are now based on the Dungeon's Level. laugh

In my limited experience, by the lower levels my character had lots of HP, but not much GP or food, and while I had armor, it was slowly earned and desperately needed. All of which is to say, I'd be careful about bumping ALL of the traps up to /level damage. Obviously, do what your playtesting says though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I couldn't find an appropriate lava thing so here's something I think is just as cool.

I'm gonna make a card for the event also but I think the probablity of success on chose 1 is so slim that you should just think of a new event instead. It's like 216 to 1 odds...not good.

Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:

I couldn't find an appropriate lava thing so here's something I think is just as cool.

Let me know what you think.

Not being a graphical person, I'm impressed that you managed to put art and words together on a card in just a few hours. I like the graphic well enough. Is it possible to give a hair of whitespace under the bottom line of text, possibly by shortening the top tunnel and the shifting everything up? (And for OCD-ish people, shouldn't the top left tunnel also connect to the main text chamber?) I quibble; I remain impressed.

N0mE wrote:
I'm gonna make a card for the event also but I think the probability of success on chose 1 is so slim that you should just think of a new event instead. It's like 216 to 1 odds...not good.

I think that you are saying that the Puzzle would be hard? For 2d6, the 2nd die can be either in front of or in back of the 1st die, not counting rolls of 6 or 1. Rank 4 will be rare. Rank 1 is an auto success. Rank 3 is intended to be more difficult than rank 2. And, I'm not sure you've figured the odds given feat rerolls, one of which is effectively free given the reward. I'm not MATH enough to have figured everything out for it, but I suspect it is not as hard as you think, but I may have not communicated it clearly either. The point to the puzzle is simply to get the dice in order, it is NOT done by rolling them 1 at a time and hoping they get in order. In other words, roll all the dice at once, then rearange them to get the sequence.

For 3d6, if you already had 2 dice in order, say 23, then the 3rd die could be rerolled at 1/3 odds to fit either at 1 or 4. The same is true for 2d6, so long at the 1st die is not 1 or 6.

Of course there is the temptation: Beat the puzzle for role playing reasons even at the point of rolling badly and losing more XP than an early fail, or get caught rerolling more than you should? In some D&D games, there will be a puzzle at some point, and sometimes players will just brute force it, or think outside of the box. But, puzzles are an element of these kinds of games, so I wanted a chance of one here. Perhaps the meta-puzzle is not to play and take the failure right away, if the odds are bad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was not tired right now, I suspect I could use the statistics from
https://www.thoughtco.com/single-roll-large-straight-probabi... to figure out what the odds are of getting a straight on the 1st roll of 2d6, 3d6, and 4d6. In Yahtzee, a reroll is of all dice that you want, whereas with feats in Mini Rogue you have to pay for each die that you reroll.

2d6: 12, 23, 34, 45, 56, and 21, 32, 43, 54, 65. That is 10 out of ? possible number of rolls? 36 I think? If so, that would be 10/36 = 0.277 before the reroll. Adding 1 reroll to that is (1/6 +1/3 +1/3 +1/3 +1/3 +1/6)/6 = (5/3)/6?, which I think is another 0.277 Except it is better than that because unless both dice were 1 or 6, you'd choose the 1 or 6 to reroll. I'm guessing the odds are north of 0.55 for 2d6 with 1 reroll.

So tired. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll fix up the graphics, no problem.

Also, I thought you had to roll the dice one at a time.
It's an interesting puzzle. Worth trying at least.

Hopefully I can get it all done before the end of the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded a new file with 3 cards and one cursed token card.
[I had to split the encounters into 2 cards, but I think it will work well.]
I linked credit to this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... and it' up.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143183/mini-rogue-osr-sty...

Let me know if anything needs to be changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:
... and it' up.

Local Teleport: “Otherwise, repeat previous room.” Repeating a previous card is a bit of a penalty, at least occasionally.
Wishing Well: “On a 1, you hear your coin”. “Here” was misspelled.
Wishing Well: On a 6, the Items really should be from the treasure card. What is magical about a well that spits out the mundane?

I like the chosen art, and I repeat that I appreciate your skill at mixing text and art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:
... and it' up.

Local Teleport: “Otherwise, repeat previous room.” Repeating a previous card is a bit of a penalty, at least occasionally.
Wishing Well: “On a 1, you hear your coin”. “Here” was misspelled.
Wishing Well: On a 6, the Items really should be from the treasure card. What is magical about a well that spits out the mundane?

I like the chosen art, and I repeat that I appreciate your skill at mixing text and art.

Oh, did you actually want
Local Teleport: “Otherwise, repeat previous room.”<--this?
I didn't realize.
Let me know if you do.

Wishing Well: “On a 1, you hear your coin”. “Here” was misspelled. [I'll fix that, thanks.]

Wishing Well:
I really like putting everything on one card so that people don't have to refer to anything else. So give me a list of what items you want and number them.

I have no problem fixing the cards. Thanks for creating & proofing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:

Yes. The teleport happens one way or the other.

Wishing Well: On a 6, roll 1d6.
1) Enchanted Armor (+1 armor)
2) Glowing weapon (+2 XP)
3) Fire Spell
4) Ice Spell
5) Poison Spell
6) Heal Spell

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:

Yes. The teleport happens one way or the other.

Wishing Well: On a 6, roll 1d6.
1) Enchanted Armor (+1 armor)
2) Glowing weapon (+2 XP)
3) Fire Spell
4) Ice Spell
5) Poison Spell
6) Heal Spell

Thanks again.

Got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 2 files submitted.
lots of very minor consistency changes aside from the major changes mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I have more ideas. This game inspires me.

With enough cards, one could put the columns in a 1,2,3,2 formation instead of a 1,2,1,2. And potentially, with the OSR art, the player could use the north south running tunnels to move within a column, to help mitigate missing a critical card.

So, here are some extra monster cards.

Life Leech: As monster of same level except
Damage is in XP not HP.
Reward: 1 HP. Does not count as a monster on the treasure card.

Shadow Monster: As monster of same level except
It attacks first.
Reward: -1 GP. Roll 1d6. On a 6 +Item.

Rot Monster: As monster of same level except
Any damage it does goes to food first on a 1 HP = 1 food ratio.

Spell Using Monster: As monster of same level except
Roll 1d6 each turn of combat. This is in addition to normal damage.
On a 1 it cast Ice.
On a 2 it cast Fireball.
On a 3 it cast Poision.
On a 4 it cast Heal on itself.
On a 5 it Teleports away. No Reward.
On a 6 you are Cursed.
Reward: double XP.

Previously I had Reanimated Monster as part of a card, but it could be its own card.

These monster cards could be ALL added to the deck, shuffled and only 1 used per level, or even cumulatively used to modify monsters.

As an example of the later, slightly modified:

Dragon: Found only on level 5 or below, as monster or boss of same level except
A dragon has Armor = level.
A dragon is Spell Using, except Teleport is replaced by Life Leech.
Reward: +1d6 GP /double XP / +1 Item

So if a dragon replaced a boss, it would have a reward of 2 Items.

Quote:

So caveat emptor if you choose to add these cards in in some fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A Life Leeching Shadow Monster... I'd probably add the Reward XP together, and bump the +Item odds up to on 5 or 6. And it could STILL be a tough combo. (Both of them get the normal monster XP as part of their reward.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me add something to your extra long column idea.
What if, there was a side mission deck of "press your luck" cards.
So, a player may go "above or below" after completing what ever room they were in instead of to the right. If they do they must draw from the extra deck. These cards would be a proper mix of bad/good stuff.
Your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N0mE wrote:
Let me add something to your extra long column idea.
What if, there was a side mission deck of "press your luck" cards.
So, a player may go "above or below" after completing what ever room they were in instead of to the right. If they do they must draw from the extra deck. These cards would be a proper mix of bad/good stuff.
Your thoughts?

Above and below might be a bit hard to fit on the table, and jar with the level concept. But, the extra cards in the column of 3 could come from the hard deck. OTOH, there is some value in having a set of the hard cards able to mix into the regular deck. (Maybe 2 sets, for use 2 ways, with 2 different card backs?) I don't know; ideas need to be balanced in playtesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.