BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Customs/Import/Duty/Taxes Fees When Importing to the USA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm in need of some assistance/advice from BGG collective wisdom/experience!

I live in the USA and am thinking about making my first purchase from a German board game store (website). Trying to find any definitive information concerning whether or not I would be charged a customs/import/duty/taxes fee is proving quite difficult. I sent a question via email to the customer service of the website and all I was told was to ask the USPS. I do know that the package would be shipped via DHL and probably use the USPS for delivery to me. I am unsure which entity would handle the customs process. The total cost including shipping would be relatively low (for an international order). Probably around $150 give or take a few dollars. Does anyone have any experience ordering board games from Germany and having delivery made by the USPS? I've seen conflicting reports whether or not I would be charged any kind of import fee. I tried calling DHL, USPS, and reading complex documentation online. I still cannot find an answer.

Any help, advice, links on this subject, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
The US does not have import or customs fees for individual purchases. I get stuff from overseas all the time and there's no extra charge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimluen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you contact the US Customs and Border Protection? They should be able to give you a reliable answer. They have an info page about internet purchases and a page about duty rates.

You also should wait for the reply from the german company. Perhaps they are handling the things for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
The US does not have import or customs fees for individual purchases. I get stuff from overseas all the time and there's no extra charge.

This is the correct answer. You only deal with additional fees if you are buying in bulk to resell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.