Subject: Lesser Characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Mifsud
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
After printing out all of the awesome additional characters found on the BGG files page (thanks to everyone who made them!) the completionist in me started to think about who else from the show I'd like to see. As such I've decided to put together the cards and standees for a bunch of additional lesser characters and was hoping to get some help from the BGG community, specifically when it comes to a character's card draw and special abilities. I'll post these as soon as they're done on the files page for everyone to try out if they'd like.

I'd prefer not to use any mechanics that require an expansion so that these characters can be used in any game. That being said go for it if they really fit with the character (ie Ellen Tigh and treachery) or, if the character is specifically associated with the Pegasus, then it's fine to use that ship's locations or mechanics (ie Execution).

I've put together ones for Alastair Thorne and Socinus but they're just early drafts, feel free to suggest any changes, correct my wording, eviscerate my terrible ideas etc.

Alastair Thorne

and

Socinus

Learned from the best: You may use two repair cards per turn as an action

Amateur Distiller: Once per game you may roll, on a 6 or more gain one morale, on a 5 or less lose all skill cards and go to sickbay

I did it: Roll anytime someone is sent to the brig, on a 3 or less you also go to the brig, on a 1, you go to the brig and the other person just loses 2 skill cards

I'll definitely also be doing ones for Jean Barolay, Dwight "Flat Top" Sanders and Dr. Gerard but if you have any good ideas for any other characters I'll make them as well...

Possible Options:
Grimes
Anthony Figurski
Charlie Connor
Joe "Hammerhead" Palladino
Marcia "Showboat" Case
Meier
Oracle Selloi
Venner
Playa Palacios
Sarah Porter
Slick
Vireem or Gage
Dealino
Wallace Grey
Eammon "Gonzo" Pike
Mei "Freaker" Firelli
George "Catman" Birch
Or anyone else you can think of that hasn't already been made

Thanks in advance to anyone for their input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
You made a character for a cooperative game.

What is a Cylon supposed to do with that character? Try to add some ambiguity to his abilities for him and future characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of these look weak to me.

Thorne's general ability is going to trigger rarely, typically 0 or 1 time per game. Especially if he's a Cylon as well, as that means there's only one other Cylon out there to potentially trigger off of. However +1 morale is potentially big, but not massive, and +3 cards is okay. It feels very swingy for a general ability. But an issue is his weakness counteracts it, making brigging Cylons have a 1/8th chance to ruin him as well. His OPG is weak as well, while his draw is okay. Usually I expect he'd be sub-par, especially if he's a Cylon.

You could keep the trigger condition for the general ability, but I would change the effects. Perhaps draw 5 skill cards, or you may trigger that Cylon's reveal effect. That lets a Cylon player utilise it, but also in some situations even a human could use it (e.g. Brig or send the other Cylon to sickbay). The drawback needs to really change to something else though: If he cares about brigging or executing Cylons his weakness shouldn't trigger off that. OPG probably needs a bit more bite to it. Perhaps something like Consult the Oracle: Look at the bottom card of a deck of your choice, then look at all (Super Crises/Quorum Cards).

Socinus might as well not have a general ability. The only time you're even able to repair twice in a turn is in the Hangar Deck, when there are 3+ damaged Vipers or 1+ damaged viper and the Hangar Deck damaged itself. It's strictly worse than Chief's ability as well. His OPG seems pretty awful a lot of the time as well. Sometimes it can save you but it's more likely just bad for you. Also how is a Cylon meant to use that in an interesting way? His weakness is weird as well, and is pretty nasty too. Especially as a Cylon.

Also needs a draw set.

I think the general could do with being something quite different. It could still trigger off of Repair like Chief's does, if you want that thematic link, but maybe do something else that could also be pro-Cylon. Draw 1 or possibly 2 Engineering skill cards would work, for instance. 2 is probably too much, but 1 would work. The OPG I have no major suggestion for, and the drawback, just simplify it somehow. Something like: When a crisis card forces a player to be chosen to send to the brig, you must be chosen if possible. That's something that triggers sometimes but not always, is a hindrance to the character in particular, and can sometimes affect strategy. It's not really something you have to play around much though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mifsud
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input! I'll definitely be doing some edits based around some of your suggestions. The abilities I had were mostly just off the top of my head but I think now I have more of a direction on what to do going forward.

As soon as I'm done a batch of new ones (and fix up the two above) I'll post them here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mifsud
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
So after a few revisions (big thanks to a fellow BGGer for the extra help via geekmail!) I'm back with some updated and new character cards. Again please feel free to suggest any improvements.

I'm working on Oracle Selloi, James McManus, Jean Barolay, Charlie Connors, "Showboat", "Gonzo", Meier, Venner, Playa Palacios, "Catman", "Freaker", Giana O'Neill and Wallace Grey so if anyone has any ideas for their special abilities please post them here (I could use the help!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doyle's drawback should also say "ignore this when you start your turn in Sickbay" probably.

(Also I'm the guilty one who helped critique these. I think I caught most of the broken/terrible/ambiguous stuff).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
msg tools
Flat Top's OPT is really minor for forcing you to do something so inefficient. 1 card for damaging a basestar is a really pathetic reward and 2 for a kill isn't too hot either considering how resource intensive it is too do. Because attacking a basestar, even with an AR, galactica, or pegasus is such a bad choice, if you want to encourage it you either need to make the reward outrageously powerful (which is probably not going to be very fun and introduces a huge amount of variance, especially as even Major Victory isn't generally enough to encourage people to slug it out with a basestar and that gives a full blown resource!) or make it a less bad idea, such as giving him the ability to radically increase his chances on bombing a Basetar. Because even damaging a basestar is generally not that great, he should probably have something similar to Kat where he can guarantee a specific result, perhaps allowing him to discard a few cards to harm the basestar while flying in a ship. As is even if I was handed this character and forced to play him I would play him as if his OPT ability was blank, and if I wanted to play an offensive pilot I would pick Kat every time.

Millenial flight is a bit weak for a pilot OPG. Usually piloting OPGs relate to non-space activities to give a cylon player some teeth or to let a human pilot have a big impact at some point of the game outside of combat. Apollo and Hotdog are the main exception, but they both have mitigating factors there. Apollo's OPG is much stronger at ensuring civilian death and on top of that his OPT is much more useful for a cylon as well. Meanwhile Hotdog has a versatile draw and is capable of grinding away at vipers much more easily than any other pilot which assists him in destroying civilians. A cylon Flattop may as well not even have an OPG by comparison because destroying one civilian is generally a worthless soft-reveal. It generally will hit 0-2 resources and a soft reveal needs to endanger much more than that to ever be worth it. Destroying 2-3 civs, which again any pilot can set up rather easily, often won't win the game, as pop is a very resilient resource.

The fact his skillset is very combat focused means he won't likely be fun to play, because everything he does is combat focused and is generally pro-human in a sort of milktoast 'meh' way, and the risk of ending up a Cylon flat top means he wouldn't really ever be played, because his pro-cylon disadvantage is too slow and obvious to be worth it. Hotdog can grind vipers more subtly and frequently by saying 'oops, no EMs' and he is still not really good at it.

----------------------------

Anthony is just great. He generates great card value in combat and his OPG ensures he always can make a gigantic swing in the game, which is generally what you want from a support due to their general inability to harm the crew. His disadvantage is bad for both cylon and human Anthonys because XOs on a repair are very powerful and common, and this discourages people from giving him that efficiency from a human perspective and trust from a cylon perspective. However because he is so good at drawing cards during times when people want that efficiency anyway it sort of self corrects in a neat way that encourages you to try to not XO him but allows you to do it if he can either con the humans into doing it or if it is necessary. Anthony has a lot in common with Ellen Tigh when I think about it, in that as a human he is giving you insane card draw but he also creates an anxiety about how much strength he is capable of hoarding to spike. A+, I wouldn't be surprised to see this next to the official characters.

Doyle is a bit boring and weak. Political leaders often have very interesting and strong OPTs and more mundane value based OPGs, with Baltar flipping that on its head of course, but Doyle's OPT doesn't really do much of anything besides force you to position inefficiently. She also effectively has no advantage and an extra disadvantage whenever there is a Basestar on the board, because she now forces a teammate to end on her space to have a normal card draw. While powerful downsides are common among the leaders, she just doesn't have a hook that compels you to play her.

Doyle's OPT needs to completely justify why you would want to play her alone. If you want to play up the fact she is a judge, you could make it so that when she is on the same space as someone they must reveal one card they play into a crisis to her. Or if you want her to be a 'teamwork' based character, you could give a benefit to someone who ends their turn on her space more significant than one card. But at the end of the day the political leaders need to have a much more razzle dazzle OPT. As is it is completely terrible and has anti-synergy with her disadvantage. If you want a card draw advantage-disadvantage dychotomy you would want to look more at Ellen, who's advantage has interplay with her disadvantage to help keep a cylon Tigh interesting while also providing much stronger draw advantage to humans than this.

The OPG is good and is about what you want a political leader to do. It is very similar to Romo's but it has less value to her personally unless she is the one being sentenced, but is also faster for the humans. That makes sense, because Romo has a selfless OPT, so perhaps Doyle's OPT should be selfish, but it needs to be... good, both because that is the point of political leaders and because her OPG is very selfless, a cylon political leader doesn't need a ton of help to escape the brig.

Alastar's OPT is, obviously, worse than Doyle's. It is also much worse for a millitary leader, and the limit on not doing it with a political leader means he may literally not have a OPT in some team setups as he doesn't have a valid target. I would recommend completely redoing this effect into something else, especially if you keep his OPG. It also doesn't thematically fit his character. Who the hell would want to hang out with Alastar Thorne? The guy is a bully and a terror, not a cheerleader, make his OPT reflect it as the mirror to Saul!

His OPG is good. It is focused around cylon hunting from a human perspective, which steals some thunder from Tigh and Cain, but instead of allowing you to more easily overpower or remove the cylon it simply lets you neutralize their ability to spike and gives him card control as well, which is unique among military leaders save for Mil-Zarek who does it in a completely different way. However if you keep it you should probably make sure his OPT has absolutely no interaction with drawing, because that isn't what millitary leaders (save Adama, who this character infringes upon a LOT) are about. Just make sure it only works against humans.

His card draw is identical to Cain's. This is versatile for a two color draw, but it is not generally good to draw two colors. It is obviously very thematic.

His disadvantage is bad, but only for himself, and it happens regardless of his team. However it is very high variance. Perhaps make it so that he has to discard a certain amount of card strength, so it can still happen by accident but generally won't happen out of nowhere. It would still fit with his theme of trying to isolate the cylon/framed human and execute them but wouldn't make it so that he is causing such a huge gamble playing with the brig.

Socinus has one of the most terrifyingly bad disadvantages for a human player to have, because he completely bodyblocks a Cylon. He allows a cylon to soft reveal with almost complete impunity for perhaps multiple turns. His OPT either needs to be much stronger, or his disadvantage needs to be changed to make it so he goes to jail WITH someone else if someone is sent to the brig so that he is not completely changing the dynamic of reveals. Its ok if he is intended to change the dynamic of how soft-reveals work, but he should be built around the assumption that he makes soft revealing, which is traditionally a high risk move done when a lot of resources on the line, completely safe for at least a turn.

Learned from the best is a very minor upgrade to the research lab. It is also very selfish for a support. Consider making it a passive effect for drawing engineering cards if you want to keep the disadvantage as written and are planning to upgrade the OPG as well.

The OPG is fine. Very good even. It lets a human Scionus save the day by dumping their hand to pass a test and then use this to recover an always at risk resource, while a Cylon can, when the humans are hurting on cards, rub salt in the wound. However I would make the selfish choice 3 cards, simply because in any but the largest games it would not be a good soft reveal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dezzmont wrote:

Anthony is just great. He generates great card value in combat and his OPG ensures he always can make a gigantic swing in the game, which is generally what you want from a support due to their general inability to harm the crew. His disadvantage is bad for both cylon and human Anthonys because XOs on a repair are very powerful and common, and this discourages people from giving him that efficiency from a human perspective and trust from a cylon perspective. However because he is so good at drawing cards during times when people want that efficiency anyway it sort of self corrects in a neat way that encourages you to try to not XO him but allows you to do it if he can either con the humans into doing it or if it is necessary. Anthony has a lot in common with Ellen Tigh when I think about it, in that as a human he is giving you insane card draw but he also creates an anxiety about how much strength he is capable of hoarding to spike. A+, I wouldn't be surprised to see this next to the official characters.

Agreed. His OPG shouldn't have "Action:" though, since it's meant to be reactive. Also, you may want to specify how it interacts with the Scientific Research card, in case Anthony decides the check to count blue as a negative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.