Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno
United Kingdom
Stoke Gifford
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got hold of this game and all of its expansions (except for Blue Sun) and will be playing my first game this weekend. I'll probably start of with a few solo games before I teach it to my wife.

Obviously, I will be leaving out Kalidasa for now. But which of the smaller expansions can I include straight away without too much hassle?

I have the UK version, so Artful Dodger will be in there but I'll be starting with a base ship anyway.

What about the upgrades from Esmeralda/Jetwash? I was planning to shuffle those in the relevant supply decks straight away. Same with the cards from Breaking Atmo.

Also, once I'm ready for the expansions. In what order would you recommend I start adding those in? I will be getting Blue Sun at some point as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See this recent thread: How much expansion content should I add?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going backwards...

Adding Expansions. There's basically 4 expansions. Blue Sun, Kalidasa, Pirates and Bounty Hunters, and Crime and Punishment. Not counting the ships here as "expansions" as they don't really add new concepts, just expand components. Likewise, Breaking Atmo.

All 4 introduce new mechanics. P&BH introduces PvP interaction in the form of piracy jobs and also capturing wanted crew from other players. And it adds capturing crew and delivering them as work. This one will be harder to try out on your own unless you're flying more than one ship around (which you can totally do). So this is one you may want to wait to introduce after your wife has a couple of games under her belt too, and you can both test it out. Like a game of Clue, it's more interesting with 3 or more people - because you're not just picking on each other the whole game.

Kalidasa and Blue Sun add more board to the game. They add new contacts and Supply Planets. These are all pretty normal, and follow the rules from the base game - except Mr. Universe. His jobs add onto other jobs to make them more challenging (risky) but also more profitable. Kalidasa introduces a sort of open bounty on Crew with the Mudder keyword. You can turn them in for cash. All of that is pretty much tracking with the core box rules.

Kalidasa introduces the Operative Corvette as another ship to avoid. He works more or less like the Alliance Cruiser. Not a huge difference mechanically, but another danger in the sky.

Blue Sun brings more Reavers. Again, they work the same as the Reaver in the core box, but there are a lot more of them, so their particular brand of danger gets spread out. More of an issue with more people flying around. Probably not going to bother you much in solo games.

Crime and Punishment is the new one. Not a lot of new mechanics, but some new components. It doubles the number of Misbehave cards, and includes some very challenging ones. You'll want to have some games under your belt before trying them, but they're pretty self-explanatory. There are Wanted tokens which make any Crew a target for arrest when you encounter the Alliance. And the Alliance Alert cards are a whole new deal. You can think of them as temporary story card elements. Again, you'll want to wait a bit to introduce them.

So that's the big 4.

You can drop Breaking Atmo, and the Ship packs right into the core game without any problems. They're just more of what comes in the core box.

Welcome to the Verse. It's a wonderfully addictive place. You'll find the forums here amazingly helpful, with a lot of added content in the Variants section. Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To give some idea: I'm currently running a PBF game for new players, using the base game plus Breakin' Atmo (which IIRC brings in just one new rule, jobs where you can be paid per skill icon working the job).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game + breakin' atmo is the best place to start. As you get used to playing, you can add in more if the extras.

Thinks like the bounty cards from pirates and bounty hunters and the alerts from come and punishment can be a bit much and confusing for new players. Best to add them later after you have the core stuff down to a science.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United Kingdom
Stoke Gifford
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Finished my first game yesterday; really enjoyed it. I started with the 'get solid with 5 contacts' goal, and completed that successful with a few turns left.

I did struggle a bit with keeping track of the actions each turn, so I'm thinking about using some tokens for the buy/deal/work actions before turning in a disgruntled token each turn. Just need to find some icons that would work.

Unless someone has experience with any easier ways to track this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of quick and (especially) cheap.

Poker chips make great tokens. Use one of each color, and a sharpie to label them. W for Work, B for Buy, D for Deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wrote each of the four actions on a piece of scratch paper.
Then grabbed 4 unused tokens from the game (coins or poker chips would work too), and placed them next to each action.
Whenever I performed a certain action, I'd slide the token over to cover that action in order to keep track of what I had done so far that turn.
Then at the start of the next turn, I'd reset these action indicators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skullfire wrote:

When you look at it all laid out, it's an awful lot for a one person game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
just out of curiousity: what is that stack of misbehave cards to the left of (what I'm assuming is) the 5 solid contacts to the left of your ship card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United Kingdom
Stoke Gifford
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
just out of curiousity: what is that stack of misbehave cards to the left of (what I'm assuming is) the 5 solid contacts to the left of your ship card?

Those are the misbehave cards I completed successfully. I know they are meant to be discarded, but I kept them aside, so I could have another look through them after I finished and see what my progress would have been if I'd chosen the misbehave goal.

And yes, the contact to left are the solid ones. I had to keep them there due to the lack of room above the ship card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
skullfire wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

Those are the misbehave cards I completed successfully. I know they are meant to be discarded, but I kept them aside, so I could have another look through them after I finished and see what my progress would have been if I'd chosen the misbehave goal.

And yes, the contact to left are the solid ones. I had to keep them there due to the lack of room above the ship card.

cool. thanks for indulging my curiousity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.