The Battle of Five Armies» Forums » General

Subject: What's your average play time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The description gives terribly wide range, maybe you could share what is your average play time here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Average for me after 1 play: 4 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on average at 2.5 hours.

That's playing without rushing and including set up and tear down (although my custom insert saves a lot of time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wiley
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not counting setup/teardown, my wife and I play this in about 90 minutes on average. But we are War of the Ring vets so this has enough similarities to make it an easy transition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtwiley wrote:
Not counting setup/teardown, my wife and I play this in about 90 minutes on average. But we are War of the Ring vets so this has enough similarities to make it an easy transition.

That sounds very promising, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Howe
United States
El Sobrante
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
90 to 120 minutes here. More toward 120 if I'm teaching a new player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I will spend less time in the future, but in my first game I spent 5 hours whistle (including set up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
90-120 minutes at Maximum. First Game was around 3 - 3,5 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Heckmann
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Around 150 minutes. Haven't seen a game take less than two hours yet, but not longer than three either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HANJEL wrote:
I'm sure I will spend less time in the future, but in my first game I spent 5 hours whistle (including set up).

Second match: 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
The description gives terribly wide range, maybe you could share what is your average play time here?

French version (Iello) says 60 minutes. It seems a quite precise statement to me and my wife (who is not a BGG user) actually believed before buying it for me as a gift.

We had a first game and we gave up after about three hours (due to my flight...).

We had yesterday our second game and it lasted 4.5 hours including the setup (and maybe some rules clarifications on the way).

Maybe we are not used to the game mechanics (I played War of the Ring only once) and this game seems to exploit my wife's vulnerability to analysis paralysis. Still we usually play "comfortably" games like Eclipse and the tournament rules for Rune Wars.

Looking also at other users' comments it seems to me they really missed the spot when assessing the playing time (or they lied just to sell more easily the game). Even for expert players I think there are probably too many dice rolling and risks of downtime.

Is there something "practical" we could do to reduce the playing time ? It is a birthday gift, plus we love Tolkien, but the playing time is unbearable for us at the moment considering we have better alternatives.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since getting the game I played some and it never takes more than 1.5h. Dealing with AP might be an issue, maybe just concentrate on the plan you have instead of reacting to everything. However, getting more familiar with the mechanisms will definitely help, playing War of the Rings many time made us comfortable with the general idea here. Also, I printed out the map with the regions marked which saves some checking when using bats/eagles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.