United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please feel free to share all your techniques/ideas/fears/etc... right here on this discussion page.

Personally I subscribe to the weight watchers technique of weight-loss. Calorie counting, monitoring intake of fat, and balancing this with some nice exercise. It's worked for me in the past, where I lost 80lbs in about nine months. It was great, and I kept weight off for about six years.

So please share what YOU do to lose weight. Don't worry about telling people what they should do, just what has worked for you.

Also don't forget to subscribe to this thread

Here is the link to the updates thread:

BGG Weight Loss Challenge - Spring Edition - 2017 Updates

Also, here's the link back to the challenge list.

BGG Weight Loss Challenge - Spring Edition - 2017
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back, everybody!! The challenge will begin on Monday the 20th, and end on Monday, May 15th, but I will allow people to join in until the following Monday, the 27th.

This may mess with initial stats a bit, but I think it's the most fair thing to do given the amount of time before the challenge begins.

Have a great challenge, everyone!!!

-Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Tom Pellitieri
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a reminder - if you don't have 20 Geek Gold to enter, there are plenty of folks (me included!) willing to donate to the cause. Don't be afraid to ask!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, I'm in again. Unlikely to make it because I will be moving and probably won't be able to exercise regularly for a while, but I'll fatten the pot a little for others laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to get enrollment up a bit more this time. I'd love it if you guys would share the challenge list on facebook, make a post about it in the general games forum, or anything else you can think of!

No worries if you don't want to, I just want to see the challenge grow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
United States
Fairfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in again. I have actually been making a little progress on my weight, at least getting it fluctuating more, even if the stability isn't there yet. Looking forward to the warmer weather as well for the chance to get out hiking again. Only went once or twice this winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen C
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excited to participate for the first time here, though have been doing weight watchers through a program in work for about 6 months now. Good luck everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to join again, but will be leaving on vacation on May 14th, and don't know if or when I could find a scale and/or internet service the next day. Could I submit my 7 and 6/7th week's weight for the final weigh in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
It is not a matter of IF... but WHEN... Have a nice day!
mbmbmbmbmb
... and again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
badge
What a productive day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! I signed up for the very first one of these I think, ages ago, but only really halfheartedly attempted it due to stuff going on at the time.

Now though, I have the time and space to work out at home so I'm going to attempt this again. The long-term motivation is I'm getting married next year, for the shorter term I've bought myself a copy of Flamme Rouge which is staying in shrink until the end of this challenge!

I have a kettlebell workout I plan on doing as many days as possible, coupled with generally eating better. Not necessarily counting calories, I've tried it before and I can't stick to it, but just generally being more sensible. I travel a lot for work which means eating in hotel restaurants, so starting with that I'm going to lay off the cooked breakfasts and bring my own stuff, and evening meals limit myself to one course, one drink, and staying away from the side orders.

I think it'll also help by keeping track of my progress over on my blog (Sneaky Meeples), wanting to write about it will make me do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
fur94 wrote:
I'd like to join again, but will be leaving on vacation on May 14th, and don't know if or when I could find a scale and/or internet service the next day. Could I submit my 7 and 6/7th week's weight for the final weigh in?

Hey Andrew! We'll figure something out for sure. Please still join up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in. I need this. I'll try to get my wife to join up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Jepson
Ireland
Cork
Co. Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back again! This is the no excuse challenge for me! After a successful first three challenges, I went downhill - life just been too hectic with moving countries, job moves, PhD thesis... But I've begun to realise this *is* my life, and if I keep waiting till things are perfect... life and weightloss will never happen!

Thought I'd missed this challenge as not using BGG as much as I did when I lived in the boardgame capital of Europe - no game group here, or games shop to my style (all American style here, no good for a Eurogamer!) so boardgmaing has dropped off sadly. But always enjoyed this challenge, so back on BGG for this

I may not make the final weigh in sadly, as my PhD viva is just before that, so I'll be in England, but it's the weightloss and participation that counts, so here we go So only a house move and a PhD viva in this challenge for me - quite a quiet one then!

Good luck everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy folks, I'm joining in for the first time here!

I quit smoking a few years ago now, and as a result (what they say is true!) I ended up gaining a fair bit of weight! However, over the past 18 months or so in particular, lots of stress and not a lot of free time have resulted in me eating a whole lot more junk food throughout the day and eating more take-aways and ready meals for my main meals - so I've ended up gaining even more weight as a result. I'm hoping that by joining this challenge it'll give me the motivation I need to start making dedicated changes to my diet again - and go back to the healthier diet of my early twenties.

I don't think I'll be incorporating any exercise into my regime as I'm fairly active anyway - I just need to cut out all the crisps and chocolate throughout the day and make some time to cook again in the evenings. But I look forwards to meeting/chatting to some new folks and familiar avatars here, and want to wish everyone else luck with their own weight loss aims too!

Off to pick up some scales tomorrow so that I can submit my weight before the deadline !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Tom Pellitieri
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple reminders, especially for the new folks!

1) I recommend that you Subscribe to the geeklists and discussions. This lets you see the "New" news when you log in, and you can click the "Next:" link to get to the newest posts as they show up.

2) Be sure to click the Recommend thumb on the geeklists and discussions! The more "Thumbs", the more likely this will show up on the front page (under BBG Community), and hopefully more folks will see it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, I'm a first time challenge joiner who's been looking to lose a chunk of weight for a while now. I just had some unpleasant surgery this past week and will be off work for two more weeks. I figure it's a great time to focus on healthy positive changes. Thanks to the organizers, and for the noob tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be lurking/watching for inspiration - I am just in weight maintenance mode right now.

Having recently shed 17% of my body weight, I'm not sure if several more pounds would be the best thing for me. I love being skinny again but I'm not sure if I would recommend what it took to get there:

- get horribly sick and unable to eat for a month zombie thumbsdown
- get put on horrible medicine with a listed side effect of 'anorexia' cry
- get put on a mandatory gluten-free dairy-free diet for life yukgulp

Not recommended...

So yeah, stay healthy out there. It could be a lot worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
snapdragon23 wrote:
I will be lurking/watching for inspiration - I am just in weight maintenance mode right now.

Having recently shed 17% of my body weight, I'm not sure if several more pounds would be the best thing for me. I love being skinny again but I'm not sure if I would recommend what it took to get there:

- get horribly sick and unable to eat for a month zombie thumbsdown
- get put on horrible medicine with a listed side effect of 'anorexia' cry
- get put on a mandatory gluten-free dairy-free diet for life yukgulp

Not recommended...

So yeah, stay healthy out there. It could be a lot worse.

Gah, sorry to hear that I hope once you fully adjust to your new diet it will become easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't even drink alcohol cry

But weird diets are great for helping you manage cravings. I have found that decaf coffee is great for getting rid of cravings for beer/chocolate. Cheese is a bit tougher but sometimes either eggs or nut butter (not peanut butter) does the trick. Magnesium and fish oil supplements are supposed to work too but I have zero luck with any assistance from supplements.

But vegan cheese is a really really bad idea, trust me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
willgreg wrote:
Hi there, I'm a first time challenge joiner who's been looking to lose a chunk of weight for a while now. I just had some unpleasant surgery this past week and will be off work for two more weeks. I figure it's a great time to focus on healthy positive changes. Thanks to the organizers, and for the noob tips.

Very happy to have you!! We're all here to cheer you on or lift you up when you need it.

Sorry to hear about your surgery, but happy this has come at a good time for you to get healthy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My job and background is in science, so I've been checking out recent weight loss meta-analysis results and long term studies, and I've got to say, the facts out there are pretty bleak. I think our best bet to succeed where most heavy folks fail in long term weight loss is to try and make really positive permanent lifestyle choices. Do you guys think it is smart to just ignore the somewhat depressing literature out there and focus on staying optimistic? How do you tell good sources of information from bad? So much seems like self-promotion or marketing masked as tips, diets, and plans. Is there a weightlossgeek website out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm in!

I've never done anything like this or had any thought to do a weight loss challenge until now. I'm not sure how successful I will be but I'm going to give it a try.

Loosing 6% of my current weight would put me into a much happier and healthier weight. I have a family history of heart and circulatory disease and I want to get ahead of that as much as I can. As the years roll out I realize that I am not as young as I once was, there are definite changes in metabolism and being more mindful of weight is a good thing.

Where I think diets may work for some I really want to focus on more permanent eating and lifestyle choices. I think three important things are nutrition, exercise, and rest so I need to come up with a plan to improve all three for myself.

Carbohydrates are really bad for me and I eat a lot of them! One of my biggest downfalls is hummus and pita bread that I can consume mass quantities of. I also eat a lot of sandwiches because they are easy to make and travel well (for work). I also eat a lot of energy bars (Cliff Bars, Powerbars, etc.) that I take with me during my work week.

I've been going for walks in the neighborhood here and there when I am not too exhausted from work or discouraged by cold weather. However, I am getting very little or no cardio workouts in and I think this contributes to my lack of sleep (and feeling lethargic during the day).

So here's the initial plan:

1) Drastically reduce carbohydrates from my diet and replace them with lean proteins and vegetables. I'm going to have to make a real effort here to come up with recipes and alternatives to make this work.

2) Substantially reduce my sugar intake. My wife has a serious sweet tooth and often buys sweets on impulse so it is there and I eat it. This can include some fruits (I eat a ton of bananas). I need to resist the urge to just scarf the sweet stuff and I need to find good replacements for them. Perhaps going with more vegetables may be a solution (though they are far less exciting).

3) Start with a modest cardio workout that I can maintain on a weekly basis. I'm not sure what to do here because I can't run (old back injury). Maybe swimming or biking when its warmer out. I have a serious motivation issue in the winter but I have to start something!

4) Drink more water. I think I get dehydrated and then I think I am hungry so I fill up on carbs/fruits. This is something I need to start measuring on a daily basis.

5) Go to bed earlier with less screen time in the later hours. Also, no night snacks! Only water or tea after dinner!

Wow, well...that kind of helped to write it all down. Thanks for reading through this and thanks Ryan for putting on this challenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
willgreg wrote:
My job and background is in science, so I've been checking out recent weight loss meta-analysis results and long term studies, and I've got to say, the facts out there are pretty bleak. I think our best bet to succeed where most heavy folks fail in long term weight loss is to try and make really positive permanent lifestyle choices. Do you guys think it is smart to just ignore the somewhat depressing literature out there and focus on staying optimistic? How do you tell good sources of information from bad? So much seems like self-promotion or marketing masked as tips, diets, and plans. Is there a weightlossgeek website out there?

There are a ton of diet sites out there, but there's a bit of a problem so a "weightlossgeek" Is unlikely. The problem, as you note, is people are more susceptible to "lose weight easy" marketing, and the reality of long term weightloss isn't as exciting. It's hard to have a large fan created site from people that have trouble being excited about their efforts.

That said, there are often small changes that can be made that can help, and even the lose weight fast sites will suggest them. You just have to remember that they usually aren't enough on their own unless you make a lot of small ones (which can be hard for several reasons). The best advice is to make changes you really can keep, and to set realistic goals you can keep as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lawson
United States
Lake Havasu City
Arizona
flag msg tools
Lake Havasu Board Gaming Group
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
I will allow people to join in until the following Monday, the 27th.

This may mess with initial stats a bit, but I think it's the most fair thing to do given the amount of time before the challenge begins.

I love this tweak! I missed the last one due to it being so close with Christmas; I couldn't even process the idea of joining... but I am in it this time around! laugh

I've been up and down with my eating habits but have been hitting the gym regularly. While I haven't seen much progress on the scale I can't help but notice the changes on how my body feels and looks. Perhaps this will be that extra push to eat better the next 8 weeks.

Good Luck Everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Summers
msg tools
Howdy, I'm new here but I'm in! I'm very short so 5lbs looks more like 10lbs on me and my weight has been creeping up. I have been going to the gym a lot but haven't been tracking my calories lately like I use to. I'm going to try to track my calories and workout more often. Good luck everyone!
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.