Subject: Solo variant, help test and develop rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion by Rahdo in a geeklist entry: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/219329/item/5269004?comme...

Copied here for easier reference and further discussion. Please help develop this if you are interested in solo play!

rahdo wrote:
RustanR wrote:
If possible I do solo versions for my games, but the core of the game here is so very much focused on players prioritizing and choosing that I do not see a way to do a solo variant. If you have any core idea or system that could be used for it I am very happy to work on one.

Hmm, i'd suggest something like:

a) as part of setup, create a stack of X shells for a dummy player. also add Y shells to the VP track at regular intervals of Z to track the dummy's progress, and put his VP disc at zero along with the player's, and another disc at zero for the dummy tribe's strength.

b) after the player takes a turn, the dummy player takes his turn, using 1 shell to take the 2nd available tile in the queue, and claims any shells on it as normal. if he is out of shells, he takes the first tile instead.

if the taken tile is an action, he ignores the action, moves it to the top of the queue as normal, and advances his VP disc one space on the VP track. if it's an event, he'll remove it from the game as normal, and not advance on the VP track. further, if it's the pillage or attack event tile, resolve this as normal based on his current strength. if it's volcano, ice age, earthquake or disease event in the 2nd slot, he'll opt for the tile in the first slot instead of the 2nd. if both the 1st and 2nd slot have volcano, ice age, earth quake, or disease, he'll take the first slot.

c) every time the dummy vp disc hits one of the shells that were placed on the vp track as part of setup, draw the top event tile and add it to the queue, and move the dummy's strength disc up by one.

d) the player has to score X points before Y rounds (i.e. before the dummy vp disc hits the final shell on the vp track that was placed during setup). if the player doesn't hit this target before time runs out, he loses. to increase difficulty of solo game, change target score.

i would think something like that would work okay (and maybe some 'solo icons' could be placed in the bottom corner of some of the events as a reminder how they work for the dummy)

Thank you! This is more involved than I am was considering, but might be clear enough and at the same time unstructured and varied enough to make it interesting. Will try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solo variant: by Rahdo
Tested the above. It works, but is is a lot of upkeep and has some issues. Especially lack of activity in the techs and predictability in the actions. Here is another approach that uses the same basic thinking (limit time, take actions normally).

Negative events: Ice Age, Volcano, Disease, Earthquake. Positive events are all others.

Dummy has unlimited supply of shells. Places shells normally on each tile that is skipped.

Dummy takes every second turn, chooses in priority order:
1: Take the first positive event that can be reached by paying 2 shells or less. If it is Attack or Pillage, perform it, otherwise discard it.
2: Take the first starting action, move it to the top. Place a cube in the dummy colour on a technology that it still has no cube on, and of those is on the lowest level and is leftmost. Bonus action and event tiles are triggered, new technologies revealed, dummy advances in strength civilization level as normal (but not the others).

When all technologies have at least one cube the game is over. Check how many VP you have, play again and try to get more.

Note that the dummy will always place shells on Bonus actions and negative events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a revised version that is more like the normal game:

In the solo game your opponent is a dummy player that follows a couple of simple rules. It is not a full opponent that mirrors a human opponent, it does not collect VP. The goal is still to get 35 VP, as in a 2-player game, before the dummy triggers the end of the game. The game is played normally except when noted here, with you as the start player and alternating turns with the dummy.

Difficulty level is chosen by how many bonus actions are revealed on Paleolithic technologies. 3 is easy, 2 medium, 1 hard.

The dummy classifies Ice Age, Volcano, Disease, Earthquake as negative events, and all others as positive events. The dummy starts with 5 shells as normal and places shells normally on each tile that is skipped. The dummy chooses the lowest number of these options that it can perform as its action:

1: Take the first positive event that can be reached by paying 2 shells or less. If it is Attack or Pillage, perform it, otherwise discard it.

2: Take the first starting action, move it to the top. Place a cube in the dummy colour on a technology that it still has no cube on, and of those is on the lowest level and is leftmost. Bonus action and event tiles are triggered, new technologies revealed, dummy advances in strength civilization level as normal (but not the others).

3: Take the first bonus action, move it to the top.

4: Take the first event.

If all technologies have a dummy cube the game is over and you have lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this get playtesting and be included in the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is the plan. It is right now as above in the rules master file, and here are first samples of how the changed event tiles with support for solo play will look. From the left: Positive and dummy uses it, positive and the dummy discards it, negative.

It is a lot easier to get tons of solo tests done than multiplayer tests so should be absolutely possible to tune this well before print. The previous solo versions for other games I have done have worked out well, this feels comparable to them already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations Dice is one of my favorite quick solo games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! This solo is slightly longer, but comparable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the full rules, as included in the new rulebook just posted: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B10A19a2K_SobFZPUVVQYVVLNm8...

Quote:
In the solo game your opponent is a dummy player that follows a couple of simple rules. It is not a full opponent that mirrors a human opponent, it does not collect VP. The goal is still to get 35 VP, as in a 2-player game, before the dummy triggers the end of the game. The game is played normally except when noted here, with you as the start player and alternating turns with the dummy.

Difficulty level is chosen by how many bonus actions are revealed on Paleolithic technologies. 3 is easy, 2 medium, 1 hard.

The dummy classifies Ice Age, Volcano, Disease, Earthquake as negative events (identified on the tile with ➊ ), and all others as positive events. The dummy starts with 5 shells as normal and places shells normally on each tile that is skipped. The dummy chooses the lowest number of these options that it can perform as its action:

1: Take the first positive event that can be reached by paying 2 shells or less. If it is Attack or Pillage (identified on the tile with ➀ ), perform it, otherwise discard it.

3: Take the first bonus action, move it to the top.

4: Take the first negative event.

If all technologies have a dummy cube the game is over and you have lost.

[EDIT: Formatting]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Beljo
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In my first solo game on easy, I never had a chance to stop the dummy player picking up starting actions / puting cubes on the board.

Is it me or is the Solo game hard, even on easy.

Just want to get sure I played nothing wrong, so here is a question.

If the the dummy player takes an action with shells, will he pick the shells up?
If yes, this means the dummy player will always prefer starting actions if there is no postive event and he has enough shells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
solo should be hard even on easy ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BudsBalkan wrote:

In my first solo game on easy, I never had a chance to stop the dummy player picking up starting actions / puting cubes on the board.

Is it me or is the Solo game hard, even on easy.

The dummy is very keen on inventing, and has a tendency to overspend to do it. Reducing the dummy to few shells and then forcing it to take unproductive actions is key.

Yes, it is meant to be a tricky challenge. Not unbeatable, but hard as a beginner, even on easy.

BudsBalkan wrote:

Just want to get sure I played nothing wrong, so here is a question.

If the the dummy player takes an action with shells, will he pick the shells up?
If yes, this means the dummy player will always prefer starting actions if there is no postive event and he has enough shells.

Yes, it picks up the shells. Yes, if there are no positive events and it has enough shells to take a starting action, it will do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Beljo
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx, for clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Karlfeldt
Sweden
flag msg tools
Assume the following:
* The dummy has at least four shells
* The first positive event requires three shells to reach
* The first starting action requires four shells to reach
In other words, taking the positive event requires more than the specified maximum of two shells, but compared to taking the starting action it requires negative one shell. What will the dummy do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jazdc wrote:
Assume the following:
* The dummy has at least four shells
* The first positive event requires three shells to reach
* The first starting action requires four shells to reach
In other words, taking the positive event requires more than the specified maximum of two shells, but compared to taking the starting action it requires negative one shell. What will the dummy do?

Go by the list exactly as written. Positive events costing over 2 are ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.