Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Thorsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
So my Mindthief just completed the solo scenario and collected the awesome Psychic Knife. I am wondering just how awesome it is.

If I have the following cards in active...:

- Mass Hysteria ("You may have two Augments active at once")
- Parasitic Influence (Augment; On melee attack: Heal 2, self)
- The Mind's Weakness (Augment; On melee attack: Add +2 Attack)
- Psychic Knife (Item; "Any time you perform an Augment action, add +1 Attack to the entire action")

...and play a standard Attack 2, will the sum of the Attack be 6 (Attack 2 +2 [The Mind's Weakness] +1 [Psychic Knife] +1 [Psychic Knife])?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it does not give you a bonus every time you use an augment, it gives you a bonus every time you use an augment action (e.g. when you play the tops of Parasitic Influence or The Mind's Weakness"). It basically turns those "Attack 1"s into "Attack 2"s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thorsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, of course! If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Thanks for responding Isaac.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
No, it does not give you a bonus every time you use an augment, it gives you a bonus every time you use an augment action (e.g. when you play the tops of Parasitic Influence or The Mind's Weakness"). It basically turns those "Attack 1"s into "Attack 2"s.

Makes sense, question for you now that we're on this subject, will the reprint LS upgrade pack include a printed set of the solo scenarios and the cards for anything unlocked via them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Still deciding on that. They will be made available through one channel or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
Still deciding on that. They will be made available through one channel or another.

Good to know! Thanks Isaac!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Mietze
msg tools
Cephalofair wrote:

So what you mean is, you get 25 gold for completing the scenario. That item is just terrible. It should've just increased your damage with other augments that aren't the Mind's Weakness in order to make them a bit more viable. I think it could've been a clever item design to rectify what I would consider somewhat of a design flaw, but instead the item just suffers from the same issues as augments in general: Since nothing comes even close to TMW, there's no need to swap my augments, and thus I get the bonus maybe three times tops over the course of a scenario, which is so rare it hardly does anything for consistency's sake.

It's just such a disappointing reward compared to what for instance the Brute and Scoundrel get. It's a bit baffling to me that it's clearly supposed to address the fact that the other augments are rarely used, but just doesn't really provide the impact it would need in order to do that, whereas the Brute and Scoundrel items clearly improve on the respective class in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
you are switching augments quite often, as you can pickup augments during rests to get more cards into your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Mietze
msg tools
No, I'm not,because the other augments are just terrible by comparison. Also, you should realistically only take The Mind's Weakness back into your hand upon resting if you would have an uneven number of cards in your hand if you did not. That means on your first rest there is no reason to take TMW back into your hand, unless you've already lost a card, as you would have nine cards in hand next round which isn't optimal. I also sometimes just augment myself without being able to attack, just as setup for future turns. That's why I'm saying that card is next to useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
then you only half learned the character the other augments are also very viable if you use them in the right situation.

Setup Withering Claw, then play Minds Weakness bottom half and Perverse
Edge top half to have 3 conditions on the target for an Attack 9

Play Feedback Loop top half and Minds Weakness bottom half or fearsome blade bottom half to have shield 2 for the whole turn. Or combine it with items that target additional enemies to stack up even more shields. Very potent tank ability. Once you can setup 2 augments at once, you can pair it with either Parasitic Influence ore Silent Scream Augments to heal yourself or others on every attack. This is extremely helpful.

Pure damage is not always the correct play, thus the Psychic knive is a very valuable item to enhance your augments even more and incentivizes you to switch augments more often. If you do so, you are rewarded anyways with exp, free attacks and the right bonus at the right time.

When you unlock enhancing, you can even strengthen the viability of other augments too.

Add Disarm to the free attack of Witherring Claw, then use the combo mentioned at initiative 8 for two more extra damage

Add +1 Attack to Silent Scream and Attack 3 is as good as the Mind's weakness unenhanced but it also heals.

Higher level augments even give you more interesting options than just attack +2, like use ice to stun, Gain stacking amounts of free retaliate for the round, or even granting your augment bonuses to other players or the highest one outright let you spend night to kill a normal enemy instead. Also level up cards grant you access to more bottom attacks, which will make other augments much better than just attack +2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Mietze
msg tools
No, I just flat-out disagree with your analysis. While damage might not be the end all, be all answer for every given situation, it's the answer that is still correct most of the time. The other augments on the other hand are just situationally useful, and thus there really is no need to pick them over any other non-augment cards that are just more flexible in what they can do and when they can do it, especially looking at higher level abilities. I'm also not a fan of loosing a card early for the ability to use two augments, especially not at the expense of Mass Hysteria's top. Also, it kind of defeats the original point of this discussion if you recommend adding disarm to an ability for 150g, because it improves literally any ability in the game.

I just don't agree with your reasoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.