Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Sorting and storing cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Corbett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey, so how do you guys store your cards. I've just started and will be playing one player solo initially with the core set, through the campaign with Roland then back to the beginning with another investigator and so on and so forth. How would you store your cards in groups so it's easy to set up the encounter decks and investigator decks between games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
A sampling of threads with three slightly different twists on the subject:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1733923/storage-solutio...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1745809/storage-solutio...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1739149/organization-se...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Fisher
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:

Hey!! I made a list! Wonder if there's a BGG citation index??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Soanka
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy,

I've come up with a very simple solution for storing and sorting cards that I hope helps:

From your local comic/card shop, pick up those long white card boxes (in the future, if they release a lot of cards I'll be upgrading to 2 or 3 lane long boxes but for now 1 lane will do).

This box will hold all player decks and all weakness/scenario/encounter cards and all tokens (tokens are in separate sealed baggies). Note: all cards in this box are sleeved for ease of use using the standard "Penny sleeve". (100 for about $1)

Now, for all the Investigators/Assets/Events,etc those are stored in a large 2' inch ringed binder with those clear plastic card pages (you can buy a box of pages for ease of use, it's not expensive). As you make your deck, these too will be sleeved.

Finally, for sorting; I group all the Investigators and their 2 starting cards together, then I organize the cards by their color/role. Now for each of those categories, I further break the cards down into card types and level, then sort those groups alphabetically.

Now, this may seem overly complicated, but as you acquire more sets, everything starts fitting together as you further sort the cards into pages instead of individual card slots.

So, to break it down:
a) 1- Long box for non Investigator cards, sleeved (I sort them according to when the set is released) Plan to upgrade to 2 or 3 lane box later.

b) 1 - 2" ring binder and clear plastic card sleeves, (find a binder that has pouches on the inside so you can insert all the game pamphlets)

Sort by:
Color/card type/level then alphabetical

Over time you'll see how just small steps in organizing each of the sets you purchase will pay off as everything will be ready to go for players to look through and as they swap cards etc, its hardly any fuss.

Then you just carry a binder and box of cards. Simple & cheap! (like < $20) cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also use a BCW box--in my case a Super Shoe, which also holds my LotR cards. The plastic dividers are great; I use colored Sharpies to write on them.
- One divider for investigator cards, grouped with their signature assest and weaknesses.
- One divider for each class of investigator cards. Cards are sorted in order of XP cost, but not otherwise.
- One divider for neutral investigator cards in XP order.
- One divider for basic weaknesses.
- One divider for all of the non-scenario Night of the Zealot encounter sets, sorted by set.
- One divider for all of the non-scenario Dunwich Legacy encounter sets.
- One divider each for each of the scenario encounter sets, including the PoD scenarios.
- A deck box or two containing constructed decks for my current campaign(s).

My rationale for not having a divider for each encounter set is that some of them consist of 4 or fewer cards. I didn't like having that many dividers. I really wish that the setup instructions for the scenarios would specify what campaign the encounter sets for that scenario are drawn from, but a cheat sheet that shows which ones are NotZ and which ones are DL works almost as well. I'd also like to alphabetize the encounter sets within their campaign group so I could find them more easily, but the encounter set names aren't printed on the cards. Argh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
My first box turned out OK. Next time I'll print wider area images on the stickers. Custom dividers (laminated) separate the contents, and actively used investigators with built decks go in regular deckboxes (until I can be bothered to design one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon & Steve
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone using binders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craftEcowgirl wrote:
Anyone using binders?

As soon as I can get one, my FLGS is out of stock. I use them for LOTR and will do the same for AH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craftEcowgirl wrote:
Anyone using binders?

For the player cards, yes.

Currently using an UltraPro 4-Up ProBinder for all classes, neutrals, weaknesses, and Investigator cards.

But am considering switching to Ultimate Guard 4-Pocket Xenoskin Zipfolios - they do them in 8 different colours - 5 of which match (or are close to) the class colours - so one could put each class, the neutrals, basic weaknesses, and Investigator cards all in their own separate colour-coded binders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.