Hide
21 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: OMG!! Another expansion question post thingy!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Creston Fenn
msg tools
Hey all! I know there is a million of these posts, and I am pretty sure I have read them all 3 times through (it is what had lead me to this post!). My questions I think is pretty focused.

My Background:
First, I have never played the game. I do know and understand the differences between expansion types. I have funds, but I want to be responsible with them when getting a couple of expansion.

My thought process on what I want from Wave 1-2:

I am getting the base game and GC. I imagine I will be playing the first part of the game a lot for the first year or 2 of playing the game (until wave 3 and 4). Well... at least more often than later game. To get the most out of my experience, I figured that it would be smart to get something like Gorm, so I will have a variety of huntable monsters (not just the kitty cat) at the beginning of the game. Also, having a different campaign will also keep the game fresh as I try play throughs, therefore; I am going to pick up the Dragon King. Not only will this give me a fresh campaign story, it will also gives me a later game huntable monster for first hero expansion ( I think?).

New Expansion Thought Process:
With the anticipation that I will have played the first half of the core game a lot, I want to get the first hero expansion to move to the later campaign. To pair up with that idea, I was thinking about getting a later expansion like screaming god? Is this a good one to pair with First hero to take advantage of late game activities?

Just wanted to get a few opinions on if my thought process fits the reality of what I want to get... haha. Or really just any advice!! Your advice on these forums rock, and I have really appreciated it. I obviously wouldn't want to waste peoples times with this question if these were 5 to 20 dollar expansion...but they are expensive!!! Thank you for your time!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, your choices are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rod
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, your reasoning is sound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creston Fenn
msg tools
KevBelisle wrote:

Yes, your choices are fine.

Great thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfrun02 wrote:
I imagine I will be playing the first part of the game a lot for the first year or 2 of playing the game (until wave 3 and 4).

Nothing wrong with your choices, but why do you assume you will only be playing the first part of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oeil danslabouche
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same situation than you. I've add Sunstalker for a greater variety (one more campaign, great mid-game quary).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
cfrun02 wrote:

With the anticipation that I will have played the first half of the core game a lot, I want to get the first hero expansion to move to the later campaign. To pair up with that idea, I was thinking about getting a later expansion like screaming god? Is this a good one to pair with First hero to take advantage of late game activities?

I honestly think The First Hero is one of the last expansions anyone with minimal content should buy. Spend the money on expansions that will deliver a new campaign or dramatically change an existing campaign. Literally you will use The First Hero once in a campaign, and only after you've played the entire core and People of the Stars. It's just not that great bang for buck, it's really meant for people who've played KDM many times. Get Dung Beetle Knight instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the Florian Trout
United States
Arvada
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i am a rookie as well and added:

Gorm
Lion Knight
Flower Knight
Slenderman

probably not the best because i don't believe any, but Gorm is an expansion. i think the others are "nemesises" or "nemesi" or whatever the plural of nemesis is.

my problem is i don't like the looks of just about all of the other minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creston Fenn
msg tools
RepublicLifeHuman wrote:
cfrun02 wrote:

I honestly think The First Hero is one of the last expansions anyone with minimal content should buy. Spend the money on expansions that will deliver a new campaign or dramatically change an existing campaign. Literally you will use The First Hero once in a campaign, and only after you've played the entire core and People of the Stars. It's just not that great bang for buck, it's really meant for people who've played KDM many times. Get Dung Beetle Knight instead.

From what I understand every time you start with the first hero expansion, you have a different setup depending get on how you dealt with the beginning events of the expansion. Ithe also seems it allows you to play lateblame to shorten it. Or, to play late game instead of grinding to there...
Again .. I haven't played. Just my opinion from what I have read!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
cfrun02 wrote:

From what I understand every time you start with the first hero expansion, you have a different setup depending get on how you dealt with the beginning events of the expansion. Ithe also seems it allows you to play lateblame to shorten it. Or, to play late game instead of grinding to there...

I strongly recommend reading this expansion review thread.

Dung Beetle Knight is a 10 out of 10. In addition, it's cheaper than The First Hero and it will get to you much sooner as it is shipping in Wave 2. Again, The First Hero is something you will fight once in a campaign (at the start) so the value is questionable unless you are absolutely dead set on avoiding the early part of KDM, which to me seems like defeating much of the point of KDM.

I would also suggest getting Sunstalker instead of Screaming God. Sunstalker has it's own campaign (Screaming God doesn't), is considered an amazing expansion, and will actually save you money if you don't get anything else in Wave 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cfrun02 wrote:
...I want to be responsible with them when getting a couple of expansion.

This is not a thing most of us here practice.

But your plan will work for now. But soon, you will join us in having the KDM Pokemon syndrome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creston Fenn
msg tools
odinsgrandson wrote:
cfrun02 wrote:
...I want to be responsible with them when getting a couple of expansion.

This is not a thing most of us here practice.

But your plan will work for now. But soon, you will join us in having the KDM Pokemon syndrome.

LOL :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creston Fenn
msg tools
RepublicLifeHuman wrote:
cfrun02 wrote:

I strongly recommend reading this expansion review thread.

Dung Beetle Knight is a 10 out of 10. In addition, it's cheaper than The First Hero and it will get to you much sooner as it is shipping in Wave 2. Again, The First Hero is something you will fight once in a campaign (at the start) so the value is questionable unless you are absolutely dead set on avoiding the early part of KDM, which to me seems like defeating much of the point of KDM.

I would also suggest getting Sunstalker instead of Screaming God. Sunstalker has it's own campaign (Screaming God doesn't), is considered an amazing expansion, and will actually save you money if you don't get anything else in Wave 4.

Thanks , I will check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunstalker also introduces a solid alternate campaign and is a better quarry than Dragon King. The whole Gorm/Dragon King combo can be rethought. Gorm/Sunstalker is the way I would go if I were you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Livingstone
Australia
flag msg tools
RepublicLifeHuman wrote:

By the time First Hero becomes available he'll probably have use for it. You also use the veteran survivors that are part of the first hero for a significant time provided they don't die to the hero or whatever you throw them at afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
ConstantCaprice wrote:

By the time First Hero becomes available he'll probably have use for it. You also use the veteran survivors that are part of the first hero for a significant time provided they don't die to the hero or whatever you throw them at afterwards.

He's only planning to get Gorm, Dragon King, The First Hero and Screaming God. That's it. If he uses The First Hero he'll basically be starting at LY12 or LY20 and doing the same thing over and over - fighting Screaming God or higher levels of earlier quarries. It makes no sense because Phoenix and Dragon King (the only node 3 quarries he has) aren't really considered to be great hunt quarries.

If he's only getting 4 expansions it makes sense to get the best 4 expansions, especially when it would be cheaper for him to get that than what he's planning to get now thanks to it all being in Wave 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creston Fenn
msg tools
RepublicLifeHuman wrote:
ConstantCaprice wrote:

He's only planning to get Gorm, Dragon King, The First Hero and Screaming God. That's it. If he uses The First Hero he'll basically be starting at LY12 or LY20 and doing the same thing over and over - fighting Screaming God or higher levels of earlier quarries. It makes no sense because Phoenix and Dragon King (the only node 3 quarries he has) aren't really considered to be great hunt quarries.

If he's only getting 4 expansions it makes sense to get the best 4 expansions, especially when it would be cheaper for him to get that than what he's planning to get now thanks to it all being in Wave 2.

This is great. I will look for sure look into your suggestions. Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RepublicLifeHuman wrote:
ConstantCaprice wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts. I am in almost the same decision problem and have not played the game yet either.

My choices for now are:

- Gorm
- Dragon King
- Slenderman (mainly for thematic reasons, this is so creepy )
- Flower Knight
- Dung Beetle Knight
- Gambler's Chest
- First Hero
- Screaming God

I had the same thoughts about FH - is it worth it, just to hunt some Phoenixes, Dragons, (in my case DBKs) and one Screaming God? But I came to the decision that ...

A) I liked the concept of the FH-fight and the shaping of the settlement that emerges from it as well as the skipping possibility.

B) The Gold Smoke Knight already expands the core campaign by 5 LYs, the Screaming God gives additional 5. When wave 4 arrives, maybe I would really rather like to play the LYs 13-35 from the beginning.

C) It is 50% off, so it is good value for money (same accounts for the Screaming God).

D) Since I (as well as the opener) get the GC as well, it is possible that Atnas and the Gambler provide more late game content as well, and the FH brings it into reach earlier.

Having said that, I personally would want the Dung Beetle Knight additionally to your choices, it is 50% off, the price is good and delivers a lot of game content as it seems to me. And I adore the miniature. And those opinions should of course be taken with a grain of salt, because I have not played KD:M yet and I just don't know if the "grinding years" are really that grinding.

Re: Sunstalker I just cannot completely convince myself. Italics reviews were a great pitch for it, but I really dislike the model and I am already getting one model I am not fond of (looking at you, Gorm) mainly for gameplay reasons. Also, my main reason for SS would be the People of the Sun-Campaign which seems to have a lot of frustration potential in the last years... I am still on the fence though, the problem is that I just don't want to kick out any of the above choices for now and cannot afford this in addition...or can I? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on the fence too about SS, and decided it wasn't worth it to me. I really just don't like the mini, and while the SS is supposed to be fun as a quarry, as the PotS campaign a number of friends have indicated the last few years are an absolute, no-fun b1tch. The games hard enough without additional piling on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thefloriantrout wrote:

Gorm
Lion Knight
Flower Knight
Slenderman

probably not the best because i don't believe any, but Gorm is an expansion. i think the others are "nemesises" or "nemesi" or whatever the plural of nemesis is.

It's "nemeses".

Anyway, I noticed you have the knights, why not get the Dung Beetle Knight as well? It's a late game quarry that got a LOT of love from Poots since it's his favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the Florian Trout
United States
Arvada
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Xairen wrote:
thefloriantrout wrote:

Gorm
Lion Knight
Flower Knight
Slenderman

It's "nemeses".

Anyway, I noticed you have the knights, why not get the Dung Beetle Knight as well? It's a late game quarry that got a LOT of love from Poots since it's his favorite.

ahhhhhh, that's it! thank you.

i saw the name only as Dung Beetle and only saw a ball (of dung?) so i had no interest. then i read your post that said Dung Beetle "Knight", so i just did some research on it.

reviews are very positive about it.

thanks for getting me to spend another $30. KDM should give you some commission. haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.