BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Cheerios wants to help save the bees! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
By the way, a disclaimer: I love Cheerios, and I've already signed up for the 500 wildflower seeds. Going to plant them at the family property in central OK.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/16/health/bees-cheerios-campaign-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
Maybe the EPA can look into it... Oooh, wait a minuet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They just want to enable their ability to exploit them for spokesmen for their Honey Nut variation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
They just want to enable their ability to exploit them for spokesmen for their Honey Nut variation.

Someone didn't click through the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Someone saw a cheap opportunity for a B- one-liner.

You are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They got a better response than they thought they would and have already given out 1.5 billion seeds. They are no longer giving out seeds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
Of course they do! Once the wall is built its going to be expensive to pay the mexicans to pollinate the field - jerbs fat lazy trump voters wont do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Honey Nut Cheerios are horrible for you, great way to get diabetes. Regular Cheerios are decent though, assuming you don't bury them in sugar. It is a good thing that people have started eating a lot less cereals, most of them are poison. There are only a few cereals you can buy in the grocery store which don't have more sugar in a single meal than you should eat in an entire day (assuming you eat a normal portion size rather than the bullshit serving size that they show on the nutrition information).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem, from what I understand, is travelling hives. And unfortunately, most of our crops are pollinated by travelling hives!

I've met, mostly in New Mexico, quite a few 'local' beekeepers -- that is, beekeepers who don't transport their hives -- and none of them have had any problem with hive death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
The problem, from what I understand, is travelling hives. And unfortunately, most of our crops are pollinated by travelling hives!

I've met, mostly in New Mexico, quite a few 'local' beekeepers -- that is, beekeepers who don't transport their hives -- and none of them have had any problem with hive death.
Here's a good article on that, focused on the almond crop:
http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2015/05/almonds-now-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
It is a good thing that people have started eating a lot less cereals, most of them are poison.

Really? Can't tell if serious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
sfox wrote:
It is a good thing that people have started eating a lot less cereals, most of them are poison.

Really? Can't tell if serious.

I'm not sure which part of that sentence you are saying that you can't tell if I am serious about, try being a bit more clear about what your actual point is next time.

Yes, most cereals are poison, eating high sugar cereals greatly increases your chance of becoming obese and/or getting diabetes (usually that goes hand in hand, but not always). Even the supposedly healthy cereals like the various raisin brans have far more sugar than they used to, and far more than anyone should be eating for a healthy breakfast.

Yes, Americans are buying less breakfast cereal, something like a 10% decline this decade.

[edit] The only decent cereals I can think of off the top of my head are Kix, Wheaties, and Cheerios. Only the plain ones, all of the flavored or sugar coated ones are garbage. So are the granola cereals. Kashi makes a few good ones as well, but personally I don't much like any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, sure. I'll agree that they have high sugar content (as do most processed foods), but poison? Hyperbole much?

They're not going to cause diabetes when eaten in moderation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Okay, sure. I'll agree that they have high sugar content (as do most processed foods), but poison? Hyperbole much?

Neither will eating at big mac at McDonalds, what is your point exactly? Most people who buy breakfast cereals or eat at McDonald's don't eat in moderation. Obviously if the rest of your diet is healthy you can eat pretty damn much anything on occasion and be just fine. You are welcome to occasionally drink wine out of lead goblets if you like, that doesn't mean you ought to be recommending that children do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Desiderata wrote:

Most people who buy breakfast cereals or eat at McDonald's don't eat in moderation.

Now you're just pulling BS out of your ass. Just for further context, what do you think of advice from the Food Babe, Natural News and David (Avocado) Wolfe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Now you're just pulling BS out of your ass. Just for further context, what do you think of advice from the Food Babe, Natural News and David (Avocado) Wolfe?

Who the fuck are they and why should I care? Pulling something out of my ass eh? Are you a dumbass or just incredibly misinformed? You do realize that 35% of americans are obese and another 40% on top of that are overweight right? I think I'm pretty far into the "yeah, I know I am right" category with the statement about most americans not eating in moderation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Desiderata wrote:

Who the fuck are they and why should I care? Pulling something out of my ass eh? Are you a dumbass or just incredibly misinformed? You do realize that 35% of americans are obese and another 40% on top of that are overweight right? I think I'm pretty far into the "yeah, I know I am right" category with the statement about most americans not eating in moderation.

Haha. Okay.
I'll enjoy eating "poison" by the bowl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
sfox wrote:
Honey Nut Cheerios are horrible for you, great way to get diabetes. Regular Cheerios are decent though, assuming you don't bury them in sugar. It is a good thing that people have started eating a lot less cereals, most of them are poison. There are only a few cereals you can buy in the grocery store which don't have more sugar in a single meal than you should eat in an entire day (assuming you eat a normal portion size rather than the bullshit serving size that they show on the nutrition information).

Thank you Capt. Buzzkill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
sfox wrote:

lol... well as captain pedantic (Desiderata) pointed out, it is perfectly possible to eat a healthy diet which includes crappy foods like most breakfast cereals. That said, most cereals today fit more into the dessert category than they do a basic building block of healthy eating habits.

People are free to eat whatever they want, I'm overweight myself and far too often eat shitty foods, including Honey Nut Cheerios, pizza, and icre cream. That doesn't mean that I am not aware of how bad these things are for me and I do try to limit my intake of them. I usually mix the Honey Nut Cheerios in with regular Cheerios or Kix to reduce my sugar intake.

An athlete or someone who has a job that involves a great deal of physical activity can deal with (and probably needs) a lot of sugar/carbs in their diet. Most Americans, however, spend 20+ hours per day either sleeping or sitting and thus really should avoid eating such things if they want to avoid getting type 2 diabetes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
That would be the pesticide manufacturers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I don't eat sugary cereals myself -- my "sweet" cereal alternative is Great Grains with dates and pecans. I understand your emphasis on a proper diet, and like you, I stray on a regular basis.

I was just teasing -- the "buzz"kill? C'mon, it ain't that subtle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
TheChin! wrote:
remorseless1 wrote:
That would be the pesticide manufacturers.

See? He got it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember a few years ago watching a UK TV show called 'Sneaky Eaters'.

The gist of the show was that it would investigate (using covert surveillance) people who claimed that the 'diet' they were on was just not working, and that they were not losing weight.

I distinctly remember one chap who, when interviewed about his breakfast habits, claimed that all he had in the morning was a 'bowl of muesli'.

Cue covert surveillance of him making his breakfast:
1) Removes breakfast bowl from kitchen cupboard. Bowl capacity looks to be approximately 1 - 1.5 liters in size (i.e. more like a bucket than a bowl).
2) Proceeds to fill bowl half-way with muesli product.
3) Chap approaches fridge with said bowl and adds the following: milk (full-fat) around 750ml (well over a pint), about 1/2 a pot of double-cream, about 3 tablespoons of high-sugar (as opposed to reduced-sugar) jam.

The show's researchers later calculated that the calorific content of this 'bowl of muesli' was around 2500 Kcal. That's right, the man was eating his entire recommended daily calorific intake in just his breakfast alone.

When confronted with this (as is the show's format) the chap realised that it was a bit more than a simple 'bowl of muesli' that he was chucking down his gullet every day.

This may all sound a bit mean, but the show was very good at getting people to confront the little lies they tell themselves when it comes to 'dieting'. I, on the other hand, just had to try his recipe immediately. Utterly glorious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to read this before planting those seeds.
https://lifehacker.com/don-t-plant-those-bee-friendly-wildfl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen

Spring
Texas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Desiderata wrote:

Neither will eating at big mac at McDonalds, what is your point exactly? Most people who buy breakfast cereals or eat at McDonald's don't eat in moderation. Obviously if the rest of your diet is healthy you can eat pretty damn much anything on occasion and be just fine. You are welcome to occasionally drink wine out of lead goblets if you like, that doesn't mean you ought to be recommending that children do it.

I don't really know how you can assert that most people who eat breakfast cereal don't do so in moderation... That's a fairly large jump to conclusions.

There are also many breakfast cereals that are "healthy". Yes, they have sugar, but so does many foods. I've never understood the carb hatred that seems to have risen lately, but it's misguided at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.