Subject: Should 2 player game be played with 3 riders? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played the game in 2 player mode yet but wonder if the track wouldn't be too empty. So much about the game is positioning and making your way through the pack at the right time.

Anyone have any experience with using 3 riders per team in 2 player game?

Tomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy G
Italy
Morbegno
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious to hear any thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, never crossed my mind.
With two players we just managed two teams each.
Or one team each and then just draw first card for the 'robot' riders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palau Life
msg tools
We play this primarily as solo or 2P and have tried multiple variants.

1) We each control our own 2-rider team (e.g., traditional). Fun, but the board does get a bit empty (not a huge issue, since your strategy becomes more singly-focused on trying to work your own team together to slipstream, avoid taking double exhaustion, etc).

2) We each control our own 2-rider team plus a third "dummy" player who just takes from the top of the deck but who also doesn't take exhaustion. A bit more fun, since there is more dynamic and you can't always just strategize with yourself/your own team as much.

3) We each control our own 2-rider team plus we both control one sprinter of another color, so that we each end up having a 3-rider team (e.g., one full red team plus a sprinter of green and its deck versus one full blue team plus a sprinter of black and its deck). This was actually pretty fun, because you can increase your own strategizing with yourself (to slipstream on yourself and avoid taking double/triple exhaustion). It also served to add more to the board, for group dynamics and more tense ascents/descents. We've tried the same with controlling our own full 2-rider team plus a rouleur of another color. Neither version (the extra sprinter versus the extra rouler) was more fun than the other.

4) We each control two 2-rider teams each (e.g., Player 1 controls the full red and green players and their decks while Player 2 controls the full blue and black players and their decks). This was fun but the 5 times we played like this, it was a lot to keep track of. That said, it was definitely fun still!

I've also played solo with the muscle team/official rules, and I've also played solo where I control 2-3 different teams, none of who take exhaustion. The game is really fun and versatile! I hope this helps you a little?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played 2p much, but I prefer each player controlling a 2-cyclist team as normal, taking 3 exhaustion each that can be divided and shuffled in to their 2 starting decks as they see fit, and then run 2 rouler bots, which start in the front 2 spaces. Bots are run as normal - single card blind draw, never take exhaustion - and are treated as a team for Tour Points total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Joly
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
TexMurphy wrote:
Anyone have any experience with using 3 riders per team in 2 player game?
I do. It's more strategic, but slower ("Paralyzed player syndrome")

For 2 players, I prefer play with one or two teams-bot (rules customized)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pau Simo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We tried it, but instead of drawing 4 cards we were drawing 3. And we also put a dummy rider (Pantani) who would move 1d6+1 (or 1d6 if he was the leader of the race).

Pantani can be very competitive. In the last race my rouler managed to beat him by one square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.