Subject: Adding Localization and Theme to Existing Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
weesh ful
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I buy games, and then I create new content for them tailored for specific audiences.

As much fun as many of our favorite party games are, it can be really special to play a game that was designed for you.

The following is a partial list of the games that I have created a fan version of:
* pictionary
* catchphrase
* werewolf
* codenames
* what were you thinking?
* therapy (can't recall the mass market name for this game)
* curses!
* mad libs
* culture clash (I'm pretty sure this party game isn't mass market yet)

Basically, any game that consists of decks of cards can be recreated with a theme after you buy a few packs of 3x5 cards.

In addition the the entertainment value for the group, creating new content is fun, and helps you understand the game better.

For games like catchphrase and pictionary, you discover that nearly any word that is widely known in your group is acceptable.

While for other games, you discover that a great deal of thought went into the cards that is hidden beneath the surface.

Here are a few short stories of this adventure:

* CODENAMES: I failed at this one TWICE. Initial playtesting went very badly. It turns out that the key to this game is simple words that are overloaded with meaning. for instance "break" is a great word, because it could mean to break something, or to go on a break. The more of your words that have double or triple meanings, the better able people will be to make connections between 3-4 cards. My hats are off to the content creators for this game that made it so seamlessly brilliant without that inner design complexity showing from the outside.

* WHAT WERE YOU THINKING: initial playtests for this one went badly too, as the questions I created were too open ended, so we didn't converge. At the end of a one hour playtest, the winner had just 5 matches! the second playtest went very well because we aimed for questions that have 2-6 logical answers.

* CURSES!: This was a bit trickier than other games because the curses are best when they form chains. For instance if someone has to perform an action when someone else does something, enough of those types of cards create the amusing chains that get people laughing. You want chains to happen, but you want to be careful that you can't get an endless loop!

---

Have any of you guys ever created game content?
What other games lend themselves to fan content?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have the white-box edition of Deadwood, to which we add all four Another Day Another Dollar expansion decks. For playing around Christmas, I created a Christmas-themed ADAD-style deck, based on memorable scenes (at least to us) of well-known (to us) and traditional Christmas movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
My MIL can't play even the simplest of games without complaining about it being too complicated, but really she just doesn't want to spend the time learning rules. She is a huge bigfoot fan, so I made a retheme of Love Letter with bigfoot evidence cards, and now she wants to play it whenever we visit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.