Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the campaign setup, the Tunis airfield is to be located in 48.25. However, Tunis is actually in 48.24.

Is this a misprint or is the Tunis airfield really located north of the city proper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
The Game that started it all
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that is a misprint. The original Tunisia Campaign game has the level 2 airbase set up in 48.24.

EDIT: Then again, they may have changed the set up from the Original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering why they out the airbase outside of Tunis' intrinsic flak protection.

According to the errata, in that there is no mention of this, this is not a misprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the vassal mod, the airfield is in Tunis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The airfield has to be outside of the city hex.

There is no errata regarding the airfield in 48.25 in Tunisia II, so I'm guessing someone did more research between the versions of the game.

Plus, you can see there is no room for the airfield inside Tunis in 1942:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/tunisia_city_plans/txu-oc...

Wiki history for the Tunis airport puts it at the seaplane base starting in 1920. The seaplane base would be in the southeast corner of 48.25. That would put it on the coast of Lac de Tunis in that hex.

Cheers,
Kris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind though that each hex is 5 miles across.
A WWII Fighter airstrip is how long? A couple thousand yards at most. Easily located in the Tunis hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, found a better map from 1942, that has the airfield shown in the lower left:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/tunisia_50k/txu-pclmaps-o...

All of hex 48.24 is shown on the Tunis map, but no airfield:
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/tunisia_50k/txu-pclmaps-o...

So I'd still put the airfield on that little strip of coast in 48.25.

I have to admit that this kind of research is fun--real detective work.

The playtest group for OCS: The Third Winter had a discussion about a bridge in the Ukraine and whether it existed at the time of the game. The bridge had been built before the war, and then rebuilt in 1947. Was it standing in the winter of '43-'44? Finally, we found a German operations map that said yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be sticking with my original Tunisia. The airbase stays in Tunis (48.24). I never understood MMP's reason to rehash and reprint this title along with Sicily nor have I found a reason to punch either rehash. The originals play perfectly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
I'll be sticking with my original Tunisia. The airbase stays in Tunis (48.24). I never understood MMP's reason to rehash and reprint this title along with Sicily nor have I found a reason to punch either rehash. The originals play perfectly well.

Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From John Kisner (the developer) over at CSW Forum

"It is outside the city.

Here is a link to a cool map from the period that was used for airfields (and is a why we added the special airstrips).

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/africa_1m/txu-pclmaps-ocl..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Gordon.

I had a feeling John knew, but I had more fun finding the maps.

He's the one that found the answer for the bridge in the Ukraine too.

Cheers,
Kris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:

Well, that's real community-minded of you. I hope games that you want but can't get don't get reprinted either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaochou wrote:
Fly by Night wrote:

Well, that's real community-minded of you. I hope games that you want but can't get don't get reprinted either.

Too late. I already have everything I want, but you misunderstood my meaning.
If they just wanted to do a straight reprint like they did with Burma and Korea, fine. Retooling Tunisia with a different OOB and shrinking Sicily to a 1-mapper to make two "new" games instead of focusing on new content already in the pipeline is my issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kisner
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Not that it really matters, but...

Tunisia had undergone a lot of OB revision already, via the Christmas counter sheets. And a straight reprint was really out of the question, since the original missed an entire French division, etc. The additional resources available to researchers in 2015 versus 1995 are amazing.

Sicily was redone because MMP wanted a game to go with Operational Matters. We were following orders.

Finally, these two games were done during a lull in finished designs. Smolensk wasn't quite done, Italy was returned to the designer (who needs to make changes), and Hungarian Rhapsody had been farmed out to a different developer. Furthermore, I don't get paid anything by MMP (beyond free games), so I work on what interests me -- and Tunisia especially was fun to work on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.