BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: So quick question about arena names rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Renee' Van Valkenburg
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
So this may be obvious to some, but I'm a little confused. If we were to use arena names in our board game would we run into any sort of trademark/copyright issues? It would strictly be the arena name with no other image other than the name, the game itself would just use the arenas as a location within the game not the main part of the game.

Is that something we could use or is that a big no no?

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravenr wrote:
So this may be obvious to some, but I'm a little confused. If we were to use arena names in our board game would we run into any sort of trademark/copyright issues? It would strictly be the arena name with no other image other than the name, the game itself would just use the arenas as a location within the game not the main part of the game.

Is that something we could use or is that a big no no?

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.

Give some examples of Arena Names? I'm not sure I completely follow what you mean.

Though if you're asking:

"Football Stadium"
vs
"Soldier Field"

The former is obviously permitted, and the latter may fall under Fair Use, but that's a question for an IP Lawyer if you're worried (and IANAL-IADNYL) {I am not a Lawyer, I am Definitely not YOUR Lawyer}.

Be aware that the NFL is notorious for guarding their trademarks, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renee' Van Valkenburg
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Example would be, say....Greensboro Coliseum (each venue we are talking about would not be NFL, MLB, NHL, or any main sport/team specific). So yeah not sure. If it's trademarked does it fall under fair use, or if it's trademarked do you ask for permission to use the name (and just the name of the venue).

Really not sure how this works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravenr wrote:
Example would be, say....Greensboro Coliseum (each venue we are talking about would not be NFL, MLB, NHL, or any main sport/team specific). So yeah not sure. If it's trademarked does it fall under fair use, or if it's trademarked do you ask for permission to use the name (and just the name of the venue).

Really not sure how this works.

Call them, ask them, tell them what you're doing.

You'll have a general sense of the rules after no more than five calls.

Again: IANAL - IADNYL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.