Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Big Money rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Jandt
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I see the Big Money add on is on the Firefly website.

Has anyone seen it in stores? Is there a release date?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several stores sell it. It came out the same time as the crime and punishment expansion.

It's worth noting that all Big Money does is give you larger scale bills (about the size of real money) and in one larger denomination so that it can be used with other games if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived last night. The notes are larger. Much much larger.

I don't have them with me to measure, but I'd estimate twice the size of real (Australian) dollar notes, which is approx. 3 to 4 times larger than the game currency.

Though they don't fit with previous game currency, with the larger value notes they can be used to replace them entirely.

I am well pleased with this addition to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is one set of them enough to replace the ammount of bills in the core game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure. My group usually runs out of the high denomination notes before anything else, so having a bigger note to change to will fix that problem.

Gut feel is probably yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The notes are 169mm by 105mm in size.

There are:

10 x $5,000 = $50,000
15 x $2,000 = $30,000
30 x $1,000 = $30,000
15 x $500 = $ 7,500
30 x $100 = $ 3,000

Total = $120,500
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Babanov
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek1 wrote:
The notes are 169mm by 105mm in size.

That's huge! It's not like there is a lack of table space when playing Firefly, so, yeah, in for one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ring
United States
Seekonk
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
The Big Money has been holding up an order I have at Miniature Market for a month and a half.

I contacted them a couple of week ago, and they said it should have been available there last week.

Needless to say, I'm getting more than a little frustrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS' don't have it and neither do several online locations (still listed as pre-order). It does not appear a general release has happened, at least not in the US. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rau
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends. A standard game with about 5 players can generally get by. However, we play with "The Browncoat Way" alteration, which means everyone starts out with 12000 credits and has to buy their ship. I also have all 9 possible ships and the standard credits cannot cover the 12000 starting purse for everyone. But, the Big Money has several 5000 credit notes which help a lot.

So, like I said, it can work. But, it depends on how many people you have playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
christophermrau wrote:
It depends. A standard game with about 5 players can generally get by. However, we play with "The Browncoat Way" alteration, which means everyone starts out with 12000 credits and has to buy their ship. I also have all 9 possible ships and the standard credits cannot cover the 12000 starting purse for everyone.

There isn't really any need to give someone the full 12000 in starting cash. The first thing everyone is going to buy will be their ship (unless they want to play as Jubal Early at the end of "Objects in Space" I suppose. haha). And that is going to take up 63% to 78% of their funds (plus any fuel and parts they want to buy).
So you really only need to dispense cash for the remaining amount
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
christophermrau wrote:
It depends. A standard game with about 5 players can generally get by. However, we play with "The Browncoat Way" alteration, which means everyone starts out with 12000 credits and has to buy their ship. I also have all 9 possible ships and the standard credits cannot cover the 12000 starting purse for everyone.

There isn't really any need to give someone the full 12000 in starting cash. The first thing everyone is going to buy will be their ship (unless they want to play as Jubal Early at the end of "Objects in Space" I suppose. haha). And that is going to take up 63% to 78% of their funds (plus any fuel and parts they want to buy).
So you really only need to dispense cash for the remaining amount

You could also give each person a poker chip worth $5,000 as a placeholder while they make that initial purchase, or give everyone $7,000 and subtract $5,000 from the cost of each ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ringo67 wrote:
The Big Money has been holding up an order I have at Miniature Market for a month and a half.

I contacted them a couple of week ago, and they said it should have been available there last week.

Needless to say, I'm getting more than a little frustrated.

I'm in a similar situation with CoolStuffInc. When I placed the order, everything was a pre-order, but now this is the last hold-out. Someday...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Dent
Canada
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Money just holds no allure for me. It's bigger and shinier. Okay...

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it is all about the immersion, feeling like you use money like it is straight from the series..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some of this from Loot Crate and it is awesome. I will get this for Cons but not for the plays at my FLGS, not enough room already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If that's the case, you'll want to run it through the clothes washer a few times. Crumple it up and carry it in your pocket a few days, so you can break the bills in. Make them look worn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
If that's the case, you'll want to run it through the clothes washer a few times. Crumple it up and carry it in your pocket a few days, so you can break the bills in. Make them look worn.

snort some cocaine with it. jam it in a strippers g-string.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right! See? That's the spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
jam it in a strippers g-string.....

All I see is Jayne in a seedy bar....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Jinis
France
Florida
flag msg tools
The bills are VERY BIG xD
The paper is quite pleasant to touch, really different from the base game.
I thought they would do different sizes for high and low values but no, the 100 bills look too big =/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um. Real money bills tend to be uniform in size regardless of amount, so why would these be different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Depends on the country, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Um. Real money bills tend to be uniform in size regardless of amount, so why would these be different?

I never said all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Maybe that's what it tends to be in the US. But seriously, are there any other currencies where the notes are the same size regardless of denomination? Searching on "currencies with same size paper money" the only relevant results are all about the US dollar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.