Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Spicer Floats Conspiracy Theory for Obama "Wire Tapping" Trump Tower rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
I mentioned this in another thread, but Spicer just echoed this brazen conspiracy theory from Fox News from former Judge Andrew Napolitano. Spicer read this quote verbatim to the press corp.

Quote:
So, three intelligence sources have informed Fox News that President Obama went outside the chain of command -- he didn't use the NSA, he didn't use the CIA, he didn't use the FBI, and he didn’t use the Department of Justice. He used GCHQ. What the heck is GCHQ? That’s the initials for the British spying agency. They have 24/7 access to the NSA database. So by simply having two people go to them saying President Obama needs transcripts of conversations involving candidate Trump, conversations involving President-elect Trump, he is able to get it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/16/sean-spicer-says-...

This is what passes for "evidence" on "wire tapping." While Napolitano had a respectable career as a judge, he's had his batshit crazy moments. For example, on InfoWars, he once infamously said, "It’s hard for me to believe that it came down by itself...I am gratified to see that people across the board are interested. I think twenty years from now, people will look at 9-11 the way we look at the assassination of JFK today. It couldn’t possibly have been done the way the government told us."

And now he's claiming that the President basically got a British spy agency to use their NSA access so Obama wouldn't leave a trail of bread crumbs related to his "wire tapp" of Trump. And Spicer thinks this is evidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really getting to the point where Spicer's next statement will be "can you disprove the possiblity that Obama had Satan, the Dark Prince of Hell and Damnation wiretappppp Mr. Trump in direct violation of the constitution as well as Vatican II?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
This is really getting to the point where Spicer's next statement will be "can you disprove that Obama did not have Satan, the Dark Prince of Hell and Damnation wiretap Mr. Trump in direct violation of the constitution as well as Vatican II?"

Spicer: When President Trump tweeted about Satan wiretapping his phones, he put the "Satan, the Dark Prince of Hell and Damnation" in quotes. Any Satanist will tell you that that's a broad classification related to anyone that doesn't like President Trump, not specifically Satan, like THE Satan. If the press would stop spreading these false and misleading stories about the President's tweets, then this administration could get on with the business of governing. It's just simply baffling why fake news keeps fixating on the words, Satan, Dark Prince, and Damnation as if those weren't CLEARLY in quotes. Only an idiot would take that seriously and ignore the quotes and their clear meaning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen it, but apparently in his most recent press conference he chastised the press for not covering the possibility that Obama tapped Trump and asked where the press's passion was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
I haven't seen it, but apparently in his most recent press conference he chastised the press for not covering the possibility that Obama tapped Trump and asked where the press's passion was.

Yes, I watched it. He basically talked for about 5 minutes about various news articles. For example, there are some articles mainly related to a possible FISA warrant from the NY Times related to Russian contacts. But that's been widely reported. I know I was aware of it when this all broke. He threw this in there as well as if it merited the same level of weight. The sad part is that he thinks that this (the Napolitano accusations) should be taken seriously. He concluded that segment of his official statement to say that it all adds up to something, then proceeded to argue with members of the press corp for not reporting various news articles that somehow support the President's twitter accusations. That's what cracks me up about it. He is using news articles to argue that the press is not reporting on Obama wiretap story properly, which is fairly hilarious.

A possible FISA warrant seemed like the most obvious possibility to me from the beginning, because it had been reported way back in January. It's also potentially the most troubling for Trump because anything presented to the judge may get communicated to the press eventually. I don't find the accusations that Obama used a UK spy agency to access NSA data to find dirt on Trump to be anywhere near reasonable. It's pathetic that Spicer brought it up as if it's the press's job to run down every single conspiracy nut theory that some person spouts about on Fox News. The UK has already flat out denied it. What's next? An investigation of the UK? That's convenient for Trump since we have no mechanism to do it so it'll continue to be this story. You know. Like how Obama actually is from Kenya and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder what PM May thinks of her invite to Trump now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
wifwendell wrote:

What are her priorities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

What are her priorities?

Well what are you on about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does Trump want to piss off one of his greatest Allies.
He gains one news cycle in the US in return for a serious diplomatic crisis. This is not playing well here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
The UK has already flat out denied it.

Indeed, GCHQ have stated that it's codswallop:

Quote:

A GCHQ spokesman said: "Recent allegations made by media commentator Judge Andrew Napolitano about GCHQ being asked to conduct 'wiretapping' against the then president-elect are nonsense.

"They are utterly ridiculous and should be ignored."

So the UK's key intelligence-gathering agency thinks Trump's press secretary (by extension, since he repeated the claims) should be ignored (on this matter, at least). As the BBC article notes, this is extremely unusual behaviour for GCHQ: they generally disdain to comment on such things, and to do so signals their annoyance at the President's media machine attempting to drag them into the administrations petty battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
The UK has already flat out denied it.

Indeed, GCHQ have stated that it's codswallop:

Quote:

A GCHQ spokesman said: "Recent allegations made by media commentator Judge Andrew Napolitano about GCHQ being asked to conduct 'wiretapping' against the then president-elect are nonsense.

"They are utterly ridiculous and should be ignored."

So the UK's key intelligence-gathering agency thinks Trump's press secretary (by extension, since he repeated the claims) should be ignored (on this matter, at least). As the BBC article notes, this is extremely unusual behaviour for GCHQ: they generally disdain to comment on such things, and to do so signals their annoyance at the President's media machine attempting to drag them into the administrations petty battles.

On BBC Radio 4 Today - The UKs flagship news program . The presenter made an issue of how the BBC is doing to respond to fake news. He made it clear that there was no evidence for this claim whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
DavidDearlove wrote:
Pinook wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

What are her priorities?

Britian has been prepared to dis-engage ethical standards and act without regards to decency when profit beckoned. As exampled by the opium trade graph.

Perhaps the current PM is going to continue with her wooing of Trump?
This would signal a preparedness to dis-engage ethical standards and act without regards to decency when profit beckoned.

However there is the possibility that May will back off from trying to develop close ties with a POTUS who publically distains decency.

Her actions will depend on her priorities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it seems that Sean Spicer has now formally apologised to the UK over the GCHQ claims - effectively and tacitly acknowledging that he promulgated a lie. So if the Trump administration accepts the UK didn't "tapp" Trump, and the US intelligence agencies didn't (according to the intelligence agencies themselves, and the Senate Intelligence Committee), surely it must now be clear that Mr. Trump himself is also guilty of promulgating a lie. "Fake news", indeed. I think one might be justified in asking who the real "enemy of the people" is here, when the highest official in the US barefacedly lies to his country, and the world.

What on earth is going on in the US administration? This is now beyond farce. How can Mr. Trumps supporters continue to view their president positively, when it's crystal clear he does not have a firm grip on reality?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured the British angle would bwckfire. You can sling mud at your own people all you like, but if you drag in bystanders things rarely go well. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I am glad the Brits didn't just ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
So if the Trump administration accepts the UK didn't "tapp" Trump, and the US intelligence agencies didn't (according to the intelligence agencies themselves, and the Senate Intelligence Committee)

Perhaps it was the Mexicans, North Koreans, freelance hackers, or even (no, impossible?) the Russians. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Listening to him at yesterdays press conference was actually painful. He was telling people to calm down, and he was the only one in the room that was actually agitated. Although we all make our own bed to some degree, I gotta wonder if he wakes up in the morning liking his job. It is clear he has no solid evidence to back Trumps claim. Citing conservative news reports as evidence, really? Trump can make one phone call as President to gather all the evidence he needs to make his case. That's not happening, because obviously the claim has no merits.

So onto Step 2 in the farce, lets broaden the definition of 'wiretapping' to 'surveillance' and let's talk about the fact that Flynns convo with Russia was picked up and released (leaked) to the outside world. That way, people will be distracted from the real issue at hand; members of our team have been dirty, speaking and possibly colluding with Russia regarding hacking of the DNC Server, and perhaps influencing the election in other ways yet unknown.

Spicer has no credibility, and looks like a rank amateur at the podium. Trump doesn't have any credibility, except with his die-hard base, who won't be swayed one way or the other, and I suspect he is already the laughing stock of foreign leaders. What a sad state of affairs. But only the beginning, in my opinion, of a possible Watergate size scandal, and if it does not bring down the President, the time consumed in pursuing it will make his reign ineffective, and inconsequential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three intelligence sources revealed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
Pinook wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

What are her priorities?

Britian has been prepared to dis-engage ethical standards and act without regards to decency when profit beckoned. As exampled by the opium trade graph.

This would signal a preparedness to dis-engage ethical standards and act without regards to decency when profit beckoned.

However there is the possibility that May will back off from trying to develop close ties with a POTUS who publically distains decency.

Well Fuck me we're going back to the Opium wars!
Do you own any slaves?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The silence about the apology to the Brits is deafening over at Fox News. It's all over the web, but as of right now at 12:07 pm Eastern time Fox has absolutely nothing to be seen on their front page about it. LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
The silence about the apology to the Brits is deafening over at Fox News. It's all over the web, but as of right now at 12:07 pm Eastern time Fox has absolutely nothing to be seen on their front page about it. LOL.

i'm interested in the process that led to a US government spokesman accusing a major ally of such behaviour.
Can we have his head to stick on a pike on London Bridge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
jonb wrote:

Still nothing there. There is, however, a day 2 follow-up to the story about Amy Schumer's Netflix comedy routine being trashed. Gotta keep up with the important news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
Apparently, now Spicer says he was just repeating new articles, but not actually endorsing any particular one. Which is him blatantly lying. When the WH Press Secretary quotes a Fox interview verbatim, it pretty clearly says he thought it deserved weight and had some credibility. What else would he be accusing the media there for not reporting it more broadly? Further, it was one of a number of news articles he went through. At the end of listing them, he said that: "Putting the published accounts and common sense together, this leads to a lot." The Napolitano quote was the one right before he said that. So, yes, he was absolutely endorsing this as the President's view. He was reading from prepared notes. This also wasn't some off the cuff remark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:

The opium trade a great analogy.

Before you made it I would have drawn a distinction between, on the one hand, selling addictive poison to a nation backed by military power so they can't say no, and on the other hand, trying to find a way to work with a destructive/untrustworthy leader to maintain an alliance that protects your nation's safety as well as the safety of much of the world.

But now I see it's really just four fingers and a thumb in each case, and working with Trump is pretty much the same thing as dealing opium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
Apparently, now Spicer says he was just repeating new articles, but not actually endorsing any particular one. Which is him blatantly lying. When the WH Press Secretary quotes a Fox interview verbatim, it pretty clearly says he thought it deserved weight and had some credibility. What else would he be accusing the media there for not reporting it more broadly? Further, it was one of a number of news articles he went through. At the end of listing them, he said that: "Putting the published accounts and common sense together, this leads to a lot." The Napolitano quote was the one right before he said that. So, yes, he was absolutely endorsing this as the President's view. He was reading from prepared notes. This also wasn't some off the cuff remark.
For an administration that is so critical of fake news, they sure seem to get fished in by it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like eventually Spicer just says:

"Guys, I work for a pathological liar, what do you want me to say?

Who knows why he said what he said. I doubt even he knows. He sees stuff on TV or on the internet then he grabs that damn phone and goes to work on Twitter. We've tried to stop him. He keeps buying new phones. I've put at least six phones in an industrial shredder myself.

Why can't you just ignore him? I'm trying to. Everyone in the White House is trying to.

You need to play ball here. Let's all just tell him he's president and then just ignore everything he says and we'll have an average shitty 4 years of republican rule, rather than whatever we'd actually have if he were actually in charge and what he said mattered."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.