Popular Tags: [View All]
MICHAEL F.
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Hello All,

I have recently joined; like a couple of weeks ago, and have ventured out of video gaming into board games in a short period of time. Being new to BGG can be awfully daunting in terms of interaction; especially for a noob such as myself.

I looked through the new user threads but failed to see a simple introductory "welcome" thread; one that new users, and perhaps patient elders, may use to meet fellow new users to remove a bit of the anxiety about such an endeavor and alleviate some of the growing pains. Did I miss something? It's awfully hard to make "friends" in a new environment, and certainly being new and bewildered is common ground for some folks?

Thanks in advance for any assistance ,and HELLO to all fellow newbies and patient mentors alike...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy. Welcome! Thanks for contributing to the site!

Yeah, it's a big site. I think we all have our first weeks here burned into our memories. laugh

With rare exceptions, this is one of the friendliest, most polite sites on the Internet.

Feel free to ask questions in the forums for games you like or are interested in by putting the game name in the search box at the top of the page.

Mouse around the top menu (and everywhere) to see what's available. Click on Forums to look at the forums that aren't for one game. General Gaming is a good forum to look at.

Feel free to ask questions here.

Here's 15GG so you can get an avatar (the big square image where I have a California flag).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right that does seem to be an omission, but don't be shy about posting on any topic. I would suggest looking at the forums for one or two of the board games that you do have experience with and seeing of you can add anything to the discussions there.
Which types of board games have drawn you in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Lakeland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WELCOME!

Not sure I qualify as a "patient mentor", but feel free to post questions and inquiries or shoot me a GM (GeekMail) and I'll be happy to assist . . . or humbly communicate my ineptitude and complete inability to assist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello, and welcome to the best boardgaming site on the interwebs! meeple

As you wander around and learn about games, you might want to check the regional forum for your area just to see if there is any activity or perhaps to post a note to see if there are any members living near you.

You may also like to look into some of the ways to play online, if that interests you.

There isn't any official "welcome newbies" thread or forum, but anytime you have a question, there's almost always one of us around who are cheerfully willing to help if we can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL F.
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Tall_Walt... Far too generous, and I thank you very kindly. I have perused a number of the forums; hawking and hoping I could add something pertinent to the conversation, but as of yet, to no avail.

Being older and having spent a good number of years in VG on Steam, I am well-versed to the volatility of the species; met some wonderful people, but realized there is a juvenile element that truly destroys the experience. We (my wife and I) have always loved board games, but never realized the depth... I am so excited. A kid in a candy store. We have barely scratched the surface, but see great things ahead.

And indeed, I have never seen a more cordial forum than BGG. It's truly refreshing. Thank you again for your kindness and I hope someday to repay you with fresh thoughts, geekgold, or friendship! Again..thanks alot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL F.
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Roxanne,

We are a bit on the shy side, and having only recently moved to Fort Worth,Texas (where we just found out BGG is entrenched!), we know absolutely no one. As such, we have been playing mostly co-op games between the two of us (though my wife is dying to meet people to play Cards Against Humanity with people)...

We are fans of more fantasy, Sci Fi, Horror or Thriller (crime) type stuff; we played Pandemic and were underwhelmed, but found the Reign version to be awesome.

I believe my comment is one of both virtual and personal outreach; we don't know anyone, on BGG or physically, so it has been a bit of a difficult journey to expand our gaming horizons. Thank you so much for your response; we greatly appreciate your time and support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL F.
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Cliff,

Thank you for your offer! Indeed I will reach out... For someone new to the board game world (after years away), and especially BGG, its a mind-blower as to how far the genre has come. I remember playing P&P (Pencil & Paper) games ages ago, but I was an avid video gamer for years since then. It's almost like holding a vinyl record sleeve; you can download the digital version, but nothing is better than holding the board, the pieces and handling the rules. It's truly great to be back to this wonderful medium!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL F.
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Gambiteer!

Thank you for the response! I know it was kind of a strange question; a bit of insecurity buried in there. But I greatly appreciate peeps such as yourself reaching out! So many questions... I have oodles of questions; plodding through 89k games for something that reaches our interests is really not the best means of doing so. That said, we are a bit quirky, so as I mentioned, the popular games; like Pandemic, didn't really hit home for us, and we ended up being a bit bummed. I will definitely reach out as the opportunity arises; we are looking forward to expanding into this wonderful world with all our of our meeple parts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Kusmaul
United States
Columbia
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and welcome, I have to agree with many people that this is the friendliest boardgaming site out there. Search around and ask questions people are very helpful and should you ever be in the Baltimore Maryland area looking for a game look me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitboss68 wrote:
plodding through 89k games for something that reaches our interests is really not the best means of doing so.
Advanced Search allows you to get a list of games with specific themes, mechanics, and types. Some of the results may make you wonder what people were thinking when they proposed that label for that game, but it should still help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL F.
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you! That certainly would help! We aren't familiar with all the "families" of games (the terms of economy, builder, RPG etc. are not new, but they certainly differentiate the game play here!). We'll give some filters a good shot. Thanks again for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitboss68 wrote:
Hi Roxanne,

We are a bit on the shy side, and having only recently moved to Fort Worth,Texas (where we just found out BGG is entrenched!), we know absolutely no one. As such, we have been playing mostly co-op games between the two of us (though my wife is dying to meet people to play Cards Against Humanity with people)...

We are fans of more fantasy, Sci Fi, Horror or Thriller (crime) type stuff; we played Pandemic and were underwhelmed, but found the Reign version to be awesome.

I believe my comment is one of both virtual and personal outreach; we don't know anyone, on BGG or physically, so it has been a bit of a difficult journey to expand our gaming horizons. Thank you so much for your response; we greatly appreciate your time and support!

Welcome to BGG!

It seems that co-op games and horror/sci-fi games are something you and your wife enjoy. Me too! If you are looking for some games to check out, I recommend:

Fireteam Zero - Amazing co-op WWII/horror game with great minis and a ton of dice-chucking. Pretty straightforward rules, but tough and challenging game play. Did I mention the great minis?

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game - This is a fantastic co-op deckbuilder that screams theme (but you can't hear it in space ). If you are even the slightest bit into the theme I would recommend it.

Claustrophobia - An amazing 2-player (not co-op) dungeon crawl with a dark theme, prepainted minis, tons of dice, simple rules and a ton of scenarios to play.

Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift - Another dark dungeon-crawl (co-op this time) with some great mechanisms. A bit like Mage Knight in that each turn is a puzzle using your cards and available actions. No dice in this one, but great theme.

I could go on and on, but if you are looking for a few starting places to research potential new games, looking at your current list of owned games I think you might like all of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also there is a large number of reviewers out there that should be able to give you a good feel for each game, the hardest part to learn is just because a reviewer likes/dislikes a game doesn't mean that you will, so its watching them talk about the game (usually with a quick overview) to give an idea for yourself (and then listening to why they liked or didn't like it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Lakeland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember my first few days on BGG. I spent hours upon hours going through the various games on The Hotness list. Those games led me to others as I read through various forums and reviews. I tried out a bunch of stuff, most of which has moved from my shelves to others', but some have stayed. And for those, I'm extremely grateful. I meandered through the ratings to see what were the "proven" favorites and expanded my tastes a bit. My exploration is by no means the model, but that's how I developed my tastes initially. And WELCOME AGAIN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL F.
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
How is Perdition's Mouth with two people? It says it plays up to 6, and looks rather huge Can two people knock this out with some success? It looks really interesting but frightening in its huge set-up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the site! I've been on here a few years and still mostly a lurker so you are ahead of me. Posting on games you already like as well as posting threads asking for game recommendations may be helpful for you.

With your tastes for horror, fantasy, and sci fi you may want to check out Marco Arnaudo's reviews. I think you may discover some new games through his video reviews considering the common themes.

There are lots of great people on this site. Anything you need- just ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL F.
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Cliff! That's what I have been doing... I must have strolled through the hotlist and database for a few weeks before even joining. It was a combo of excitement and trepidation. We are making a game run this weekend, so we are excited to expand into some other types of games. It's an expensive proposition if you miss the mark, but we are pretty open. We need to step out of the shadows of cthuhlu as a theme every now and then me thinks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitboss68 wrote:
Thank you! That certainly would help! We aren't familiar with all the "families" of games (the terms of economy, builder, RPG etc. are not new, but they certainly differentiate the game play here!). We'll give some filters a good shot. Thanks again for the tip!
Browse Mechanics or Categories. Then click on individual entries for a short explanation.

Help Glossary is also a good page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Michael - hope you enjoy it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitboss68 wrote:
How is Perdition's Mouth with two people? It says it plays up to 6, and looks rather huge Can two people knock this out with some success? It looks really interesting but frightening in its huge set-up!

I have played 4-player and I have played solo using 2 characters. With two characters it works great. The game scales based on how many players there are so there are more monsters with more actions if you have more players. I notice you have Mage Knight, have you played it? If you have then Perdition's Mouth should be no problem for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitboss68 wrote:
And indeed, I have never seen a more cordial forum than BGG. It's truly refreshing. Thank you again for your kindness and I hope someday to repay you with fresh thoughts, geekgold, or friendship! Again..thanks alot...

Please pay it forward, not back. That, too, is a BGG tradition.

My best gaming advice is to find a local gaming group. Try before you buy. Get taught a lot of games before you buy blind and wade through a big rule book. Meetup.com is a good place to look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
My best gaming advice is to find a local gaming group. Try before you buy. Get taught a lot of games before you buy blind and wade through a big rule book.

Very much this. Have you checked out DGM? http://dallasgamesmarathon.com/

Oh, and welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitboss68 wrote:
Hello All,

I have recently joined; like a couple of weeks ago, and have ventured out of video gaming into board games in a short period of time. Being new to BGG can be awfully daunting in terms of interaction; especially for a noob such as myself.

I looked through the new user threads but failed to see a simple introductory "welcome" thread; one that new users, and perhaps patient elders, may use to meet fellow new users to remove a bit of the anxiety about such an endeavor and alleviate some of the growing pains. Did I miss something? It's awfully hard to make "friends" in a new environment, and certainly being new and bewildered is common ground for some folks?

Thanks in advance for any assistance ,and HELLO to all fellow newbies and patient mentors alike...
Hopefully helpful links (some of these will cross-reference):
Five Common Misconceptions about BGG + New User advice
Tricks of the Geek
More Tricks of the Geek
unofficial FAQ
New Users want to know Who? What? Where? When? and Why? but mostly How?
My 1st Year on BGG - Tips, Tricks, and Great Geeklists

Not as useful, still might be interesting:
A New User's Guide to the Inside Jokes of BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.