Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5 year-old asked me a question, and I don't know how to answer besides making something up (which I did, and he rejected as a made-up answer).

What would happen if a large amount of dynamite blew up just as a bolt of lightning hit it? He wants to know "which would win". I want to know if anything would happen to the lightning. Someone make up something.

Don't let me down, Chit Chat. I'm already down to being the 5th smartest in my home (wife, orange tabby, 5 year-old, black cat, then me, and finally the 2 year-old...so I'm not last yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This sounds like a pretty good question to ask Randall Munroe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
Wait, I paid 100 GG for THIS!?
badge
Jeeze, I paid 100 GG for this... there's a sucker born every minute.
mbmbmb

A quick google search give the energy in the average bolt of lightning as 1 GigaJoule, and the energy in dynamite at 5 MegaJoules per kilogram. So if a “large amount” of dynamite weighs under 90 pounds, the lightning wins! QED

(if it makes you feel any better, I did this while large grey cat was trying to walk on the keyboard)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... the kinetic force of the dynamite blast would not disrupt the flow of electrons from the lightning (if triggering at the same time).

The heat from the lightning would be affected by the dynamite blast as its Kenetic energy expands.

so which would win?

If a person is within a foot or two of the event then they're dead.
The lightning strike becomes less destructive as distance increases.
The dynamite will have a much larger kill radius.

On first blush I'd say the dynamite would win/kill
Many people have survived lightning strikes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question.

Since lightning is simply electrons, I don't think the dynamite would directly impact it, as I'm not sure the force of the explosion (being a macro scale force) would be able to act on an atom (nanoscale particle).

However, since the dynamite would be moving the air required for the lightning to travel, as well as the ground that it is discharging towards, it could impact the lightning indirectly by changing or maybe(?) stopping the flow due to the change in density and flow of the transferring medium.

Also, given that the dynamite has already exploded, the lightning isn't able to truly interact with the dynamite, whereas the explosion of the dynamite "could" affect the lightning.

I say dynamite.

But I could be totally wrong too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lightning moves faster than the shockwave from the dynamite. That is, the transfer of electromagnetic energy is faster than the transfer of the kinetic energy of the explosives.

The lightning always finds a path of least resistance. This is not necessarily to the ground, but almost always is. That is, the purpose of this discussion, the lightning will find a path to ground, instanteously.

The lightning will make its way through whatever adjustment the dynamite makes to the air.

The lightning always wins. It may not strike in precisely the place it would have struck before the explosion, because any movement of the air will slightly alter the resistance in places, but it will strike and it will strike through the explosion.

Tell your kid to send me another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This takes me right back to year 8 science.

(For the umpteenth time) "sir... but what if there was some francium present?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Lightning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we just accept that it would be bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
The lightning always finds a path of least resistance. This is not necessarily to the ground, but almost always is. That is, the purpose of this discussion, the lightning will find a path to ground, instanteously.

Weirdly, lightning strikes go 'up' (ground to sky) as well as down!

http://earthscience.stackexchange.com/questions/580/why-does...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
These are amazing answers. I will pass them on to Quinn! Thanks, Chit Chat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
The lightning moves faster than the shockwave from the dynamite. That is, the transfer of electromagnetic energy is faster than the transfer of the kinetic energy of the explosives.

This is the answer I was leaning towards. If you can find the Mythbusters episode where they blow up a cement truck, the footage shows the shockwave traveling over the area. You could actually show your son the difference in speed between the dynamite explosion and the speed of lightning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Weirdly, lightning strikes go 'up' (ground to sky) as well as down!

I knew that. But Dennis is barely smarter than a 2-yr old, so it would only confuse him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way too much lightning-bias in this thread.

The OP's condition is the lighting hits the dynamite as it's blowing up.

Lightning doesn't hurt the dynamite at all. The dynamite is already doing it's job - blowing up. The lightning doesn't affect it. But the dynamite is disturbing the medium the lightning is traveling through, probably changing it's path. So - it's like a game of chicken, and the lightning veers off. So the dynamite wins.

Also, lightning struck my mother, twice, so lightning is a jerk. Dynamite, however, helped my grandfather go fishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you know, that thunderclouds form positrons (which are the corresponding anti-matter particles to electrons, having a +charge, rather than a negative one.)?

Also, the collision of the positrons with the electrons causes mutual annihilation with a release of gamma rays?

It's all rather interesting.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/GLAST/news/fermi-thunders...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
depending heavily on timing of the detonation and the formation of the discharge path, I'd say it's almost a guarantee that the path of the lightning's discharge would be altered by the presence of the shockwave, smoke particles, etc. from the dynamite's blast.

but neither the dynamite nor the lightning's energy release would be 'significantly' affected.

but, just gut feelings on the matter - cool question though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Henry
United States
Canton
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to further confuse the issue but what constitutes "winning"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windrant wrote:
Not to further confuse the issue but what constitutes "winning"?

I kind of had the same question myself. I'm only speculating, but in some sense I think they both "win." The lightning would do its damage, but I expect it would ignite the dynamite, so it would get still get to explode and do its thing. For example, we know that (without lightning rods) lighting can damage buildings and start fires, but its uncommon for it to actually destroy them. In contrast, dynamite can blow out buildings from the inside out, destroying foundations and supporting structures. Yet lightning delivers more energy and is more likely to be lethal. Certainly not the best analogy, but comparing lightning to dynamite seems like comparing a sniper rifle to a shotgun. Which one is better depends on what kind of result you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.