tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By themselves, in base game? Only Quincey Whitmore for lawmen, nothing for the gang.

Lawmen have another card that can move up a firepower card to the current battlefield, while the gang has two Saddlebags to pick up a firepower card from a battlefield to hand (enabling you to play it again).

1.1 expansion adds Stagecoach for the gang (similar to Quincey, just not as strong), as well as a reverse move (drag a lawmen firepower card back to the previous battlefield, far better way to getting Ned McReady out of your hair than killing him).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Burns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks for the clarification.
Quincy is one powerful card then. If he gets out there, which is not guaranteed since not every card gets into play.

Does the 1.1 expansion even out the odds?
Or are they still stacked on the law's side?

One other other question. I read here in the forum that you can switch out a played card? So if I was on the bad guys side and had 3 FP cards already played and say I picked up a higher card I could replace it? If so does the replaced card get discarded or does it go back in your hand. Or maybe I am interpreting this wrong.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I'd say Quincey is the second most powerful firepower card for the lawmen after McReady himself. While Buffalo Stampede has more FP and removes a gang FP card (potentially), Quincey's movement ability + True Grit means he can pester the gang over several battlefields.

I would say 1.1 balances things out quite nicely, don't have any other expansions, so can't comment. But based on my Balance thread in the General section, sides are within 20 wins after 1950+ matches (112 with just base, rest with 1.1 mixed in).

Yes, either side can voluntarily discard cards in play during the Play Cards step. They go to the discard pile, so for the gang they are out of the game for good, lawmen have a couple of recovery cards that could see them back in hand/play, but since you're discarding them, you probably don't want them back (barring Ned McReady play, discard, take back to hand, play, discard, put back into play combo or if you really need Buffalo Stampede again to remove more gang FP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Burns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks again for your help.

That is one awesome achievement - playing over 1,950 games. I couldn't even imagine playing that many. How many years is that spread over?

If my pardner (aka wife) likes the game, I will look into getting
that expansion.

So far she likes card building type games such as Jaipur, Splendor, and Lost Cities. I plan on getting 7 Wonders Duel which is I see is in the same vein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RMB1013 wrote:
That is one awesome achievement - playing over 1,950 games. I couldn't even imagine playing that many. How many years is that spread over?

Once per day since I got the game in November 2011. Currently that would be 1,956 days ago .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Burns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impressive!

Hey what happens if the bad guys
Have 3 FP cards. Can the law side
Play a block card or would they first
Have to play a destroy a chip card then
Play the block card?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Note: The Colonel McReady player may place row-blocking cards in the playing area of the Colty gang player. These cards
count toward the three card limit of his opponent. He can’t place a row-blocking card at a battlefield already containing
three cards." (p. 6)

Some smarty-pants rules lawyer might argue that McReady can place blocking cards if Colty has 4+ cards at a battlefield (I think the best I've seen is 7 FP cards for Colty, 3 normally allowed, +1 for Tumbleweed from 1.1 exp and 3x Derringer that don't count against limit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Burns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two bad all the cards don't come out
The Jackson Clan card would really
Help the outlaw side

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Burns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my wife to play.
She says she liked it.
I played as the law and had both
Ned and Quincy very early plus
3 buffalo stampede cards.

She did not make it to the train before
Cortez was killed.
She did have the kill Ned card
and managed to take him down
A notch. But it was not enough

She got down to 5 blocks on the
Border. If she had the Jackson
Clan card, maybe it would have
Helped.

I guess you could let your
Opponent start with Jackson
To give the law side a bit of
An edge

I ordered the expansion so next
That will be in play.
Sh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RMB1013 wrote:
I guess you could let your
Opponent start with Jackson
To give the law side a bit of
An edge

Thing is, you really don't want to use Jackson Clan apart from at the last battlefield (3:15 Express), while lawmen generally want to avoid using McReady until Rattlesnake Creek or 3:15 Express. Reason? On other battlefields, both of those cost 3 cards to play. True, sometimes you have enough crap 1FP cards with no special effects in hand (gang mostly), but then you have to wager the worth of using the card now, knowing there is a chance you won't get it back.

If you give the gang the Jackson Clan at the start, you would be forcing the lawmen to win the gang before 3:15 Express. Why? Jackson Clan + Gatling Gun/Hail of Bullets + Sandstorm = unbeatable firepower (since Sandstorm limits the lawmen to just 2 cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.