Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Noting that this is just one article, but it's an interesting point and relevant to some discussions on RSP

(again from https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/04/breakin...)

Quote:
But non-churchgoing conservatives didn’t flock to Trump only because he articulated their despair. He also articulated their resentments. For decades, liberals have called the Christian right intolerant. When conservatives disengage from organized religion, however, they don’t become more tolerant. They become intolerant in different ways. Research shows that evangelicals who don’t regularly attend church are less hostile to gay people than those who do. But they’re more hostile to African Americans, Latinos, and Muslims. In 2008, the University of Iowa’s Benjamin Knoll noted that among Catholics, mainline Protestants, and born-again Protestants, the less you attended church, the more anti-immigration you were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if there is an urban / regional angle here too, e.g. if the big city has more options for church, more churchgoers, more immigrants in congregations, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Noting that this is just one article, but it's an interesting point and relevant to some discussions on RSP

(again from https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/04/breakin...)

Quote:
But non-churchgoing conservatives didn’t flock to Trump only because he articulated their despair. He also articulated their resentments. For decades, liberals have called the Christian right intolerant. When conservatives disengage from organized religion, however, they don’t become more tolerant. They become intolerant in different ways. Research shows that evangelicals who don’t regularly attend church are less hostile to gay people than those who do. But they’re more hostile to African Americans, Latinos, and Muslims. In 2008, the University of Iowa’s Benjamin Knoll noted that among Catholics, mainline Protestants, and born-again Protestants, the less you attended church, the more anti-immigration you were.

This is not at all surprising to me.

While it is not impossible to be a hard hearted bigot when attending church regularly (yes some congregations even foster that attitude, but not as many as non-church goers tend to assume), the reality of regular church attendance is that one is routinely challenged to not only love in some theoretical way your neighbor but also to dig in and lend them a hand in meaningful/sacrificial/TANGIBLE ways.

Additionally every time you walk in the doors you are likely to be reminded that you are supposed to routinely examine oneself critically for failings and sins. Not just external ones, but especially internal ones. Which include NOT loving your neighbor.

When a person quits actually attending services it is very easy to hold onto only the things that feel comfortable and reaffirm self assuring views and to stop doing the HARD WORK of living a daily walk of service to others and SELF examination/critique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it that surprising in some ways? People who leave organized religion often do it out of resentment towards authority, like church leaders, etc. It would make sense that that kind of resentment would spill over into resentment towards other people and an attachment to non-establishment figures (hence, Trump). Further, you have to ask what fills the void when you don't have religious doctrine, but merely a belief in God without anything more. I think what fills the void is the drumbeat of intolerance on either side of the aisle, the constant demonizing of the other side, the slotting of people into identity groups, etc. Those messages become louder because there is less to counteract it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
I wonder if there is an urban / regional angle here too, e.g. if the big city has more options for church, more churchgoers, more immigrants in congregations, etc.

One thing that the LDS church does differently than other faiths is that you don't choose your church. Your congregation is determined by your neighborhood. You are going to church with your neighbors. Visiting some of the members of your congregation is a church calling given to most. And there is something to be said for going to church and seeing someone on Sunday and then borrowing a cup of sugar from them on Tuesday and your kids playing together on Friday. I think that going to church on Sunday and not really seeing anyone there outside of church has something to do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it is easier to defend intolerance towards gay/lesbians biblically then Blacks/Latino's/ Muslims.

I also wonder how the measured intolerance.
Was is being against same sex marriage?
Was it supporting religious freedom measure that "support" discrimination?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

GameCrossing wrote:
sbszine wrote:

One thing that the LDS church does differently than other faiths is that you don't choose your church. Your congregation is determined by your neighborhood. You are going to church with your neighbors. Visiting some of the members of your congregation is a church calling given to most. And there is something to be said for going to church and seeing someone on Sunday and then borrowing a cup of sugar from them on Tuesday and your kids playing together on Friday. I think that going to church on Sunday and not really seeing anyone there outside of church has something to do with it.

Apparently, if any of one's neighbors happened to be a same-sex married couple with adopted children, one wouldn't expect to ever see them sitting on a pew of a Mormon church, especially after the recent anti-LGBT changes made by the leadership of the Church of Latter-Day Saints.

On the other hand, if one or both of the married couple in question happened to be "ex-gays" or "inactively" gay with either adopted and/or biological children, then they'd be perfectly welcome in a Mormon Church.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.