Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for game where you decide to defect or be traitor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
msg tools
Most of the games I've researched with a traitor mechanic has the game pick the traitor. Usually at the start the shuffle of the cards or roll of the dice determines who defects from co-op play.

I'm looking for games where a player/players choose to defect from the group during play.

The closest I've found is Red November where a player with the aqua lung can leave the sub and try to survive alone.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmbmbmb
PAX allows a person to side with Rome or with the slave revolt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gaudreau
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celestia has a similar mechanic each round: jump ship or work against the captain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Godforsaken Scavengers is a Kickstarter game that was specifically designed with this idea at the core. Currently in production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo llyboat
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you have 4 to 7 hours available?
Diplomacy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I knew recently about Red November, in which you can decide during the game that everything is lost and betray everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex: Final Days of an Empire has this; it's even become a running gag in our game group: "So, does anyone want to betray our alliance?"

I like how Magic Realm gives you complete freedom in this: Players can choose to co-operate, ignore, or combat each other, whenever and gor how long they like.

In Illuminati: Deluxe Edition players are also free to form temporary alliances only to turn traitor at an opportune moment to make a winning move.

But none of these are really what I'd consider 'traitor' games. I tend to think of traitor games as a subset (or subgenre?) of co-op games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Mafia de Cuba where you select your role from the cigar box that's being passed around?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War on Terror has this, but it's difficult to get hold of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgos Papagiavis
Greece
Patra
Achaia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot has a secret traitor mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
MparmpaGiorgis wrote:
Shadows over Camelot has a secret traitor mechanism.

You don't choose to become one, which is the point of this thread.

Maybe go through this geeklist and look out for games where the traitor is not randomly determined: He's Lying...Trust Me: A Comprehensive List of Traitor-ish Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Verräter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmbmbmb
MartinWin wrote:

Yes! And Meuterer too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jollyboat wrote:
Do you have 4 to 7 hours available?
Diplomacy

This.
There is no better game for the bitterest betrayal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
msg tools
Thanks for all the help. I've added many of the games you suggested to my research list.

I have went through the geeklist trying various filters. I've read most of the descriptions and when a game looks close I've tried to watch a gameplay video of it.

I realize what I'm looking for is a tweak on a subgenre and probably not a common mechanic. That said, Red November right now seems to be pretty close.

If you will forgive my naive game design skills the type of game would work out something like this:

Quote:
Imagine a dungeon crawler co-op game. Your group starts at the bottom and by drawing cards your character gets stronger. This is good because each monster you fight gets harder.

But players don't always get stronger. Bad cards. Bad dice rolls. Whatever.

Because of this some players hoard cards. Maybe they keep a stealth card or a bonus run speed. They're going to need some mana and health potions if they go it alone.

So at some point in the game, when this player who has been hoarding cards things the group is not going to make it, they decide to defect, leave the group, and try to escape the dungeon on their own. Leaving their mates one player down and smarting from the betrayal.

Like I said Red November is close to this but its really only a single card that gives a player the opportunity to defect.

I'm going to keep looking. Thanks for the help.

crinaya wrote:
Godforsaken Scavengers is a Kickstarter game that was specifically designed with this idea at the core. Currently in production.

Thanks for the tip. I bought a pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also some semi-co-ops where players have individual victory conditions as well. Or where there are individual winners despite the general cooperative undertaking.

This doesn't make them a total turncoat, but does sometime produce situations where a player refuses to help a group out in a given situation.

Castle Panic springs to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If PnP is not a problem, you can take a look at Laputa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Léo Chabanne
France
Grenoble
FRA
flag msg tools
I forgot one tiny rule..
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Weapons of the Third Reich is a cooperative game where players are trying to build weapons for Nazi Germany. A player can defect to the Allies if things doesn't look too good for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.