Kallan Greybe
msg tools
I'm basically complete in big and small box expansions (and *ahem*, lieutenants whistle) up to Nerekhall, but the completionist in me feels the need to keep on adding more, if only so I can have more minis to paint, so right now *feels* like the right time to add my first H&M pack (probably Crusade of the Forgotten).

Except of course Manor of Ravens is singing its siren songs at me, mostly due to Alys and the Marshall class and the looming prospect of my first campaign as a player instead of as OL (I *SOOOO* want to troll this one by being annoying rather than overwhelmingly effective).

So, opinions: is the rest of Manor worth the relative lack of diversity in heroes and monsters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
As a rule of thumb I would always get boxed expansions before buying the H&M Sets.

While it is true that you loose out on 2 heroes and 1 monster group, there is just so much other stuff in the box expansions, which will enhance all your other campaigns and unlock more content in Road to Legend.

In Manor of Ravens (priced at 39,95$) you will find:

- 2 new heroes
- 2 new hero classes
- 2 new overlord classes (one with familiar)
- 2 new monster groups
- 1 new lieutenant
- 1 new condition
- 5 new act I items
- 4 new act II items
- 4 new relics
- 8 new maptiles
- 4 new rumor cards
- a complete minicampaign (6 quests)
In Road to Legend:
- 1 new sidequest
- 3 new "The Delve" stages
- new monster activations and peril effects that make use of the new condition

compare this to any H&M Set (priced at 34,95$) which includes:

- 4 new heroes
- 3 new monster groups
- 1 new rumor card
- 2 rumor quests
- 1 new overlord card
in Road to Legend:
- 1 new sidequest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
The reply is that I've got lots of content already, seeing as I own all the box sets up to Nerekhall. In this context getting three good new monster groups on their own are pretty damn attractive as are the four new heroes. The question is whether anything else I get in the small box makes as big a difference. So for example new shop cards just dilutes a pretty stacked deck, new OL classes sit around waiting for me to start a new campaign (one in six months at current speeds) and the new condition needs to compete with all the ones I already have.

Not saying I'm not getting MoR eventually, just saying right now an H&M looks far more attractive. That said, the Marshall on its own is a reason pushing me close to wanting MoR, but is there anything else I should be aware of? Are the monsters particularly good to paint, or particularly good at some role? Does the condition work particularly well for the OL? Is the mini-campaign particularly thematic? etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like your mind is already made up. Get that H&M box and have fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the App appeared I bought the game and started playing Descent2 in solo mode, mostly with 3 characters.

The GOOD about it is that I can add expansions at my own pace and money frame . I started with a few medium expansions and I will add others at a rate of 1 expansion after a few Delve adventures.

I would suggest holding on to the big box expansions until you are ready to do a full App adventure (like they did with Nerekhall), so the game and monster play keeps fresh.

I think FFG will - as of now - probably add 2 campaigns per year and one big box to go with it.

As such the collection will grow and you really have endless challenges with the Delve mechanic. I don't even think about buying any other dungeon crawler for this kind of miniature/time frame.

Quite happy to have found the ideal solution this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
Pretty much Darth Heisenberg. I really wanta reason to push me that last bit over the edge the other way: Sebastian's completely right, the boxes are just plain more value. In any other context, particularly at the start of a new campaign, it should be a no-brainer, but right now the H&Ms just make more sense.

Thanks guys for talking me into the decision I'd clearly already made!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.