Dream Cakes» Forums » Variants

Subject: This game needs 1 major rule change! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought this game on clearance from a Toys R Us. I thought it would be a great one for my kids to get in to.

The game is colourful and is fun to build the cakes. There is one really frustrating thing about this game. The spinner could have used at least 1 more space that grants you a cake stand.

After a couple of sessions the randomness was driving me crazy, as it's easy to build up a stash of cake pieces, but it's so hard to actually get a cake stand. The rules seem to distinguish the difference between cake pieces and cake stands as separate things, so when you land on a space that says "take 3 cake pieces" I assume that you cannot take a stand.

I will not play this again without a house rule that allows you to trade in X number of cake pieces for a stand. 4 or 5 seems like a good number to me. This seems to work well because now we aren't building up a stash of cake pieces and then losing them all when someone lands on "big spill", and we're not spending 35 turns spinning this stupid thing hoping we land on a stand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Martinelli
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We’ve interpreted the rule as take x cake piece means as take anything you want. Never thought it would limit anything only large, small or icing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might do that as well. Im pretty sure the rules just say cake piece. They should have said piece or stand to differentiate but it was probably just an oversight on their end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.