Hide
3 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: variants for Encounter Deck.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Santos
msg tools
Just curious if anyone else has any house rules on the encounter deck. The encounters seem to be a little over the top. I always pull one on a black arrow but when I have to pull on a "stop not on an edge", I roll a d20, greater than 10=no encounter. Basically, entering a new tile makes sense. But if I am backtracking through a dungeon why would new encounters be occurring again? Just a thought, any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Encounters are supposed to be hard.

It puts the pressure on the players to press forward to accomplish the goal. If not, you could just kite everything and always win. Especially when it comes to boss monsters or chambers. I got my hands on all the Dungeon Command games and have added them all as appro to each of the games. Even more wicked now, LOL!

Who wants to always win? Personally me and my friends LOVE when we finally crack an adventure with a win. We also bemoan when we get our collective asses kicked. But this builds resolve and makes a win even more satisfying. Hell can happen quickly!

Don't forget, as you kill more baddies you get more XPs so you can use the 5xps to cancel encounters. Not all of them are that terrible. You just need to pick and choose. Some are worse than others. But, if you're not spawning baddies, you're also not stockpiling XPs for when you may need them.

House rules are always acceptable, it's your game, it's your fun. This systems is SO open to house rules. Do what you and your group needs to do to have fun, but for me I wanted to see if we could get through all of them as is before any kind of house rule. We haven't had a ton of luck with WoA so far, but haven't pressed deep into it yet either. We have been very deep in CR and LoD though and CR is absolutely EVIL with encounters.

It feels SO good when you win!! *Still haven't beaten Adventure 13 yet*

Check out this link for some campaign mods and other super cool stuff that has been user created. I just ordered the cards from printerstudio and am excited to start a campaign!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/705077/ninjadorgs-dd-advent...

Either way, good luck and most of all, HAVE FUN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmb
^^^ This.

You can try and eliminate all the monsters before pushing on, but then you get hammered with the Encounter deck. And especially in WoA, you have a whole lot of extra monsters that can crop up due to specific Encounters or guards that run and call them.

Trying to balance the Encounter deck with Exploration is one of the strategies of the game. When you find that sweet spot of Exploration/Encounters, it's really cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.