Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running a campaign in which we've gone through the first 2 scenarios with one group of 4 players. We're going to be continuing this, but not all players will be able to make it to each session. The plan is to swap players in and out, but am curious as to the best way to do this. Any ideas on what's worked well for you in the past? Do you have the new people take over the role of existing characters? Start them as different characters with no experience/added items? Spend a little time before the game to bring them up to the same level of experience/items?

Suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the new people play existing characters. Keep the same cast of characters, but rotate their players as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is my group's general modus operandi. We rarely have our full contingent of players. It works just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Minis painted "As you wish"
badge
PM me for commission painting info!
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the same characters (always all four) no matter who is playing.

Our group had five players from a weekly Meet-up. We agreed to only play a scenario if we had a minimum of three of the original group present. Other Meet-up attendees could take over uncontrolled characters as needed or a player would just control more than one that day. As the campaign progressed the characters accumulated many extra cards, so you may not want to have more than two characters per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming from an RPG background, it would drive me nuts. But I can see where it would normally go that way. Do you throw in any restrictions on the new players not making permanent decisions on the characters, or just let them grow in different directions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Minis painted "As you wish"
badge
PM me for commission painting info!
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried to delay purchasing/skill upgrades until regular players were present. We also used social media to vote for upcoming side missions. As the Imperial Player, this helped me pre-assemble map components and figures for the upcoming game and I did not have to lug my entire collection to every event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Switching heroes in and out would wreak havoc on the Rebel synergies.

Each hero is purchasing class cards depending on what other heroes are getting to complement and complete the group's abilities. The same applies to items. You would need to do more than just switch one hero out and one hero in to not mess with that.

Also, by the end of the campaign there are quite a few class cards, so it will be hard to learn and remember what each hero can do when you lose and gain abilities all the time. (Although that would handicap the imperial player too, I would think the rebels pay a much bigger price for it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this depends on the group and how they play. If you are into finessing the synergy of each individual skill and equipment card, having someone mess up your scheme by spending your hard earned XPs on, say, juggling, you should play when the original team are there only. If you're more into blowing stuff up to see what happens and doing wooky impressions then it's not so important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might not be what you're looking to hear

Instead of "Have the new people play existing characters" as mentioned above, I just ban all new players from entering once the campaign begins and just make existing players double-duty

Kobold's strategy
Pro:
Permitting new players = well...potentially more players to play with

Cons:
New players have NO IDEA what they're supposed to do, they all need to re-learn Rebel synergies with the other 3 heroes, and this happens every time ANY new player joins mid-campaign. How would they go about shopping, knowing they won't see their characters ever again?

I'm not sure as a new Rebel I'd be thrilled to learn all this stuff, then jump out and let someone else take over. As Imp I'd really hate to re-teach all the rules at the beginning of every mission

My strategy:
Cons:
less people, not exactly newbie-friendly

Pros:
No new stuff to teach in-between games, everyone already knows the rule, so no new players jumping in and ask "how does dice work?", much faster playing time (no extra rules explanation), all Rebels know exactly what they're doing with Rebel synergies (cards/items...)

Hey I want new players to jump in as well, thought about this a lot during my 4th-ish GMing, then realized "nope that will never work" and I settled on this "ban all new players". You're welcome to share if you have better thoughts/ideas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lewis
msg tools
mb
Not sure if this would work, as it may break up synergies between characters, but you could assign each person a character. If 1 person isn't there, then use heroic rules and use legendary rules if two people aren't there. When upgrading, give credits that 4 characters would normally receive and buy for all four characters. Xp is then only spent when the other player comes back.

This does require willingness on the IP's part to allow people to spend xp right before a mission and probably after its been setup, and to ease up a bit if you are a minmaxer and they happen to have a pair of bad heroes but it would allow for each player to play just one character and to keep their character. It probably isn't that balanced either, but if you're willing to do it to have more fun then I'd go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two thoughts occur:

When you say swapping, what sort of churn rate do you mean. I think if you have maybe 6 regular players out of which any 4 will turn up it's a lot more feasible than random peeps just dropping in for the odd game.

It does get harder as the missions go on - shopping and skills management in the first two or three missions is much easier than it will be later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.