chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
This was originally a game I backed on Kickstarter because I'm a pretty big fan of the Dresden Files book series. I "discovered" it after seeing the show on SciFi and then finding one of the books in a store and getting it on a whim (all they had was Death Masks, so I started in the middle of the series, which is something you can easily do with Dresden). I fell in love with the books. They're cheesy, and pretty cliched at times, but I think Butcher knows that and does a great job creating a series of books that are fun. Are they the "next great American novel"? Nah. But they are great fun (what other book series has a dramatic showdown
Spoiler (click to reveal)
where the main character rides a necromantically resurrected T-Rex through downtown Chicago?

So I backed the game on the strengths of my love of the books. At first I wasn't expecting much from the game, and if it wasn't good, it wouldn't bother me. The artwork was great and the Kickstarter was run by people who seemed like they knew what they were doing and have a great perspective on kickstarter "exclusives" (e.g., they're good freebies for backers, but will be available later for purchase). I watched some gameplay videos and thought it could be cool. I bought the game primarily to play solo (kudos for including a simple solo "variant" as well).

I got the game in yesterday, punched the counters (they're not many, but they are REALLY thick, which is good), sorted the cards (which are a bit thin, but have great art that is really thematic), and read the rules.

I set up a game for Storm Front (gotta start at the first book, right?) with Harry, Karrin, and Susan. Ran through the mission pretty easy and won (well, with a score of 1) before the showdown needed to be triggered. I might have mixed something up, because it felt too easy. I was a bit let down because it didn't seem to take up much brain-space.

Decided to set it up again, and the second game was much harder, and much more interesting. Harry, Mouse, and Molly (again Storm-Front). Lost this time, but started to see the greatness of the game.

Tried one more, this time Harry, Michael, and Thomas in Fool Moon. Lost again. Really enjoyed it this time.

I'm a bit worried about the "replayability" of the individual books, but since I purchased all the expansions so far, I have lots of books to go through, and lots of character combinations to try them with. I don't think it'll get too samey, but I could be wrong. Aside from that, I like that I'm not drawing a ton of cards each game, so I really have to make due with what I get at the start. It's a bit puzzle in efficiency with just enough dice tossed in to make planning out the puzzle from the start nearly impossible (when you throw that - and you were really hoping for a + ... or the other way around!).

After 3 plays, I'm pretty happy with my purchase. Parts of it remind me of Hostage Negotiator (the way cards work, sort of, and the way dice are tossed in so you can't really just plan 100% of stuff at the start). It's just thematic enough for the Dresdenverse fan in me, and just puzzly enough for the solo gamer. It's not perfect (it's a bit "lighter" than most games I enjoy, but that's not a big complaint in and of itself either, as it plays really quickly and I probably won't have to spend a ton of time relearning all the tiny ruls when it comes out again... I'm lookin' at you Mage Knight Board Game).

I might write up a real review after playing a bit more, but I'm really happy with the game so far. I might try to make a smaller "board" for it so I can take it to work and play during my lunch hour. Seems like a perfect game for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've soloed it a *ton*, especially the first five books (I printed off the core Print and Play), and I firmly believe that mixing the characters plus the randomized set up gives you plenty of replayability if you already like the core gameplay...combine that with the number of books and the pretty large sidejobs deck, and you should be golden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
Tommy3Count wrote:
I've soloed it a *ton*, especially the first five books (I printed off the core Print and Play), and I firmly believe that mixing the characters plus the randomized set up gives you plenty of replayability if you already like the core gameplay...combine that with the number of books and the pretty large sidejobs deck, and you should be golden.

Ya it's for sure more replayable then you think. I was undefeated on the first five books. Thought it was too easy, but man replayed the, from the start and I haven't won one. That setup is really a beast. I also think two player is a bit easier then solo. But I'm having a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Data Laughing
msg tools
Also? I can kill you with my brain.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played a lot, and, given how differently the cards fall on the board every time, I think replayability of single books is pretty high. That's not even mentioning the enormous bunch of cards that is the collective Side Jobs deck. Just looking at that makes me feel like I could keep playing forever and never have the same game twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.