Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Comicpalooza 2017 - Should I go? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hello everybody!

I live in Texas and thought about driving to the Houston Comicpalooza since they seem to have a strong board game presence.

I have been on the website but I want more info preferably from people how have attended.

Travel and hotel are not a problem I have friends around Houston, but is this convention worth my time?

Are there a good representation of Board Games?

Do they have Publishers or board game companies show up to this?

Or is this mainly just comics and comic related stuff?

If there is any other details I am missing or other questions I have I will update or drop another post in this tread.

Thanks to all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you go to PAX South game convention in San Antonio in January? It had a large tabletop game presence; likely much bigger than a comic convention will have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don´t live in U & S of A, but Comicpalooza sounds just like that. Totally Comics and books.

Representation and selling of Boardgames? A bit unlikely, but there may be a small quantity of Boardgames to be bought at such conventions. It happens.
Have been to a cpl of Comic Conventions myself, and if you do happen to like to read Books and Comics, and even be able to meet some well known artists and writers, get some of your books & Comics signed from the creators themselves, and even some cool drawings back with you. You might as well just go for it. You could end up enjoying it in fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. And tell us how it went!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drift Marlo wrote:
Yes. And tell us how it went!

Yes what? Have you been?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucky henry wrote:
Did you go to PAX South game convention in San Antonio in January? It had a large tabletop game presence; likely much bigger than a comic convention will have.

I feel kind of dumb, I had no idea of PAX South. I will have to look in to it for next year.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rox4Games wrote:
Don´t live in U & S of A, but Comicpalooza sounds just like that. Totally Comics and books.

Representation and selling of Boardgames? A bit unlikely, but there may be a small quantity of Boardgames to be bought at such conventions. It happens.
Have been to a cpl of Comic Conventions myself, and if you do happen to like to read Books and Comics, and even be able to meet some well known artists and writers, get some of your books & Comics signed from the creators themselves, and even some cool drawings back with you. You might as well just go for it. You could end up enjoying it in fact.

I believe you have a good point KJ, I do enjoy comic books, not as much as I used to but still do so ya I might go just for that. However, I still am trying to find out from people who have gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my past attendance, the board gaming experience varies a bit from year to year. There's always a couple of publishers and a few vendors. The do organize some official scheduled play of games in advance. And then there is some open gaming with a decent size game library. You're on your own to line up any open gaming though.

As with many cons, the best way to insure there is something you want to play is to volunteer to run some scheduled events.

I always get in some gaming there. Some years much more than others. But I mix in other events to make it all worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rox4Games wrote:

From the various cons I've been to, it's not completely off beat to expect table top gaming at cons that don't focus on it. It's quite easy to set up some tables, chairs, seed a game library, and you're good to go! However, one may want to go to a bg con to get better selection of games, and better selection of gamers to play with. For example, when I went to MagFest, they're big enough to have a large bg-ing presence (13K attendees last I heard), but since it's primarily a video game con, I end up doing panels, concerts on vg, and doing free to play video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Meisch
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's definitely a fun time but the Board game presence is not very large.

Things may have changed but the last time I went, the year before last, there were maybe 4 or 5 board game vendors on the floor and a mid sized library to borrow and play from but that was it.

Regardless, it was a fun convention.

rjm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.