Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are peoples thoughts on the playmat?

I'm a fan of neoprene mats in general, but have not played CoM. Is it worth the $22? Not crazy about having to store it outside the box, but if it adds to the game thematically or makes it easier to keep things together then I think I can justify it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it, I think it's a phenomenal value. The mat is the ideal playing surface and it's half of what it should cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is mostly what your use of it will be.

If you dont travel with games, I am not sure you really need it.
Yes it will save you some setup time, and it looks cool.

For me I bring games with me to friends, and the size of the box and the weight and cumbersomeness of the boards make the mat exactly what I need.

Just my 2cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there was an option to have an alternate tray in the Jarl box that fit it, then I'd jump on it as playmats are great whenever you're putting cards on a 'board'. However, they specifically state it won't fit in the box, so I'm going to stick with the boards myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I got it, I think it's a phenomenal value. The mat is the ideal playing surface and it's half of what it should cost.

I didn't add it into my initial pledge, but I am thinking about adding it in...

Any thoughts on how you are going to store it? IIRC the mat is 22 x 40 inches. that is either a very fat roll almost 2 feet long, or a long skinny 3 1/2 foot roll. Cardboard tube of some kind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Stone Age and the expansion. The expansion adds a separate board that overlays on the non-expansion board. I also have Troyes with the Ladies of Troyes expansion. One of the modules of this expansion includes 4 smaller boards placed off the original board. I really dislike added boards.

The current two expansions for CoM add two boards that are placed outside the board. So the game board becomes a 3 piece board. Meh

The neoprene boards includes the expansion boards in it's (very large) design. The artwork flows across it, the point tracker surrounnds the board. Aesthetically and mechanically the one-piece board is superior. Neoprene? Just awesome. I currently use an old X-Wing neoprene playmat as my board gaming surface. Easier to pick up cards, quieter, etc.

So for me, the neoprene playmat for CoM is a no-brainer. Especially at the price listed. It doesn't fit in the box. So what? You still have the other original boards that do fit in the box if you don't want to transport the neoprene mat.

I'm kind of surprised by how many people balk simply because it doesn't fit in the box. In a gaming world of Warhammer, X-Wing, and other sprawling catastrophes of games, is an additional game mat really that bad? If it is, then by all means skip it. You don't need it at all. But if you like the idea of it just fork up the extra bit. The entire 22"x40" of game board would lay flat. All those cards would be easy to life off the neoprene mat much easier than the original game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everyone has unlimited storage for things, and not everyone plays in the gaming world of miniatures where a 3x3 or 6x3(armada) play area is required.

And CoM + 2x Expansions DO fit in the new box, so the mat really is the only thing that won't be there in a self contained 'game box'

But yes, mats definitely add to the immersion and play experience.

Maddest Hatter wrote:
I have Stone Age and the expansion. The expansion adds a separate board that overlays on the non-expansion board. I also have Troyes with the Ladies of Troyes expansion. One of the modules of this expansion includes 4 smaller boards placed off the original board. I really dislike added boards.

The current two expansions for CoM add two boards that are placed outside the board. So the game board becomes a 3 piece board. Meh

The neoprene boards includes the expansion boards in it's (very large) design. The artwork flows across it, the point tracker surrounnds the board. Aesthetically and mechanically the one-piece board is superior. Neoprene? Just awesome. I currently use an old X-Wing neoprene playmat as my board gaming surface. Easier to pick up cards, quieter, etc.

So for me, the neoprene playmat for CoM is a no-brainer. Especially at the price listed. It doesn't fit in the box. So what? You still have the other original boards that do fit in the box if you don't want to transport the neoprene mat.

I'm kind of surprised by how many people balk simply because it doesn't fit in the box. In a gaming world of Warhammer, X-Wing, and other sprawling catastrophes of games, is an additional game mat really that bad? If it is, then by all means skip it. You don't need it at all. But if you like the idea of it just fork up the extra bit. The entire 22"x40" of game board would lay flat. All those cards would be easy to life off the neoprene mat much easier than the original game board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mellman99 wrote:
Not everyone has unlimited storage for things, and not everyone plays in the gaming world of miniatures where a 3x3 or 6x3(armada) play area is required.

And CoM + 2x Expansions DO fit in the new box, so the mat really is the only thing that won't be there in a self contained 'game box'

But yes, mats definitely add to the immersion and play experience.

Maddest Hatter wrote:

Exactly. I like neoprene playing surfaces, especially when there are cards on the board, but if I'm paying for a very good insert, I'm going to use that. I value above all else efficient storage (for space used and speed of setup/take-down as it means I spend more time playing). But I don't have the sort of game-room which has lot's of space to just spread different parts of a game all over the place. You'll need some sort of very large flat surface or a roll shaped gap to store this (as folding these is a sure-fire way to ruin them eventually) and again, I like that the game is in the 1 box, not scattered all over the place.I'm actually put off any expansion which won't fit in the main game box. I've got enough Marvel Legendary that just fills up the box, so that's me done buying more of that. Unless the Scythe airships can fit somewhere efficiently in my box, I'll likely skip that too.

Not everyone thinks the same way. There are likely lots of people Like you, Maddest Hatter, who just want the mat and don't care about how to store it nicely. But I'm sure there are others like me as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who are interested and aren't campaign backers, we posted an image of the final mat yesterday:

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe modern board gamers are using "storage space" as a legitimate excuse for not getting a game upgrade. If someone can't fit a rolled up poster somewhere in the house then it's got to be at a point where you're considering calling hoarders. Or you're just so OCD that it MUST fit in the box, and if that's your case than I can't argue with that. Tt's not me, but I know people with the same affliction.

As far as the space it takes up on the table, isn't it the same dimensions as the standard board with both expansion boards? I might be wrong on that one.

And having the neoprene mat doesn't mean you throw the folding boards in the trash and commit to using it exclusively. You can still fit everything in one game box. The mat is an extra option when playing the game, not a permanent replacement.

I have the neoprene mat for One Night Ultimate Vampire, One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak, Boss Monster, and a bunch of player neoprene mats for Dungeon Dice. These were all non-necessary All of these combined take up about two t-shirts worth of room in a drawer and are only used half of the time to begin with.

I guess I found it odd to cite "storage space" as a deal breaker for upgrading any game component. Not everyone has unlimited space, granted. However, if your living situation is such that you're a board gamer and can't fit a rolled up mat in the house then something seems to have become out of hand. lol

Champions of Midgard is hardly a space saving game. In fact it's right up there with Fields of Arle or Twilight Struggle for table real estate. Once the new expansions are added the box is going to need to be 6" deep (they said only the depth of the master box would change). And it's table sprawl will be impressive. One of those games where you'll need more than a card table to play it on.

get the mat, don't get the mat. Whatever works for ya. But saying you're space is so limited that you can't squeeze a rolled up mat into it is tough to believe. Saying that you refuse to own it because it doesn't fit in the box? Fair enough. I wouldn't pass up the look/feel/simplicity of the all-in-one neoprene mat because it doesn't fir into the game box, but I can see how some might.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not add enough money to get this in my Kickstarter. Do you think I can add it in on the pledge manager when they send that out to us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed the campaign entirely and was able to order it all via the backerkit. You should go to backerkit asap and check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found the survey....added it.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
I can't believe modern board gamers are using "storage space" as a legitimate excuse for not getting a game upgrade. If someone can't fit a rolled up poster somewhere in the house then it's got to be at a point where you're considering calling hoarders. Or you're just so OCD that it MUST fit in the box, and if that's your case than I can't argue with that. Tt's not me, but I know people with the same affliction.

As far as the space it takes up on the table, isn't it the same dimensions as the standard board with both expansion boards? I might be wrong on that one.

And having the neoprene mat doesn't mean you throw the folding boards in the trash and commit to using it exclusively. You can still fit everything in one game box. The mat is an extra option when playing the game, not a permanent replacement.

I have the neoprene mat for One Night Ultimate Vampire, One Night Ultimate Werewolf Daybreak, Boss Monster, and a bunch of player neoprene mats for Dungeon Dice. These were all non-necessary All of these combined take up about two t-shirts worth of room in a drawer and are only used half of the time to begin with.

I guess I found it odd to cite "storage space" as a deal breaker for upgrading any game component. Not everyone has unlimited space, granted. However, if your living situation is such that you're a board gamer and can't fit a rolled up mat in the house then something seems to have become out of hand. lol

Champions of Midgard is hardly a space saving game. In fact it's right up there with Fields of Arle or Twilight Struggle for table real estate. Once the new expansions are added the box is going to need to be 6" deep (they said only the depth of the master box would change). And it's table sprawl will be impressive. One of those games where you'll need more than a card table to play it on.

get the mat, don't get the mat. Whatever works for ya. But saying you're space is so limited that you can't squeeze a rolled up mat into it is tough to believe. Saying that you refuse to own it because it doesn't fit in the box? Fair enough. I wouldn't pass up the look/feel/simplicity of the all-in-one neoprene mat because it doesn't fir into the game box, but I can see how some might.

That's a lot of vitriol to say you don't understand something...Not all board gamers have an infinite amount of space for storage. They also don't all want their storage looking messy. My games storage is in the front room right next to the games room and simply put there's no correct space to store the huge mat that wouldn't look out of place and ugly. Even if my wife was fine with it ( having my hobby make a mess) I'm certainly not. A game should be in its box for me and we're getting an awesome box to store everything in, so paying extra for a mat that's not needed and will break the magic of the box is just not an option I'd ever consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
That's a lot of vitriol to say you don't understand something...

Hardly, if I was going to be mean I would have done a much better job of it. That being said, I didn't mean to offend. I can be a bit direct at times and that's not always as sugary sweet as it should be for public ingestion. My bad there.

negatrev wrote:
Not all board gamers have an infinite amount of space for storage. They also don't all want their storage looking messy. My games storage is in the front room right next to the games room and simply put there's no correct space to store the huge mat that wouldn't look out of place and ugly. Even if my wife was fine with it ( having my hobby make a mess) I'm certainly not.

I don't keep my rolled up mats in plain view. I too would find this ugly and my wife would veto it before it got used once. I keep my rolled up mats (I also have two 36" x 36" mats I lay out on my hardwood dining room table for larger game nights) in the back of the coat closet. Takes up less room than a single shoe and is out of sight. It doesn't bother me that there are rolled up game mats in my closet any more than the sleeping bags, old hockey gear, and everything else that is neatly tucked away out of sight in there. You won't convince me there's a legitimate case that you can't store a game mat anywhere in a house without disturbing your family or making it a mess.

Now if you're going to tell me that you have a inner need to keep all game related things in one room? Or that the wife wants to make a rule to confine "game junk" (my wife's terminology) to one room? I get that too. Luckily my wife isn't quite that demanding and I keep some stuff in the coat closet. Along with Yahtzee, Monopoly, Uno, and other gamess I'd just as soon throw out.

In the end, I get it. Ya don't want/need the mat. the next except says all that was necessary...

negatrev wrote:
A game should be in its box for me and we're getting an awesome box to store everything in, so paying extra for a mat that's not needed and will break the magic of the box is just not an option I'd ever consider.
This made more sense to me than anything preceding it. Sans all other content, it's the most understandable reason against any out-of-box game upgrades. I know a lot of people who feel the same way.

This thread took an odd turn to game storage. Was fun, but I'll leave it be. I have a rule where I sell off games that I haven't played in over two years. I keep my collection under 100 games. Non-gamers (like all my wife's friends) see the game collection and their eyes pop out of their heads. And yes, it looks immaculate and clean. But most people are used to seeing 5 or 6 games at most on the top shelf of a closet. Not a couple of bookshelves of games next to a Ham radio. lol

Still, I am in total awe of people who have hundreds and hundreds of games. If I played two different games a week it would still take me nearly two years. And that's if I never bought anything else. Which won't happen as I have about 6 games cued up for delivery on Kickstarter. Not the least of which is this expansion to CoM. One of my newest games and was an instant hit with myself and friends. The expansion looks like it really will take this game to the next level. Hope they can keep their expected date. That's a quick turn around. Especially for such a component-heavy campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.