Popular Tags: [View All]
Eamon Burke
United States
Rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

I made a scenario today, and would love to have others enjoy it!

There are a lot of comparisons made to a choose-your-own-adventure book with the Gloomhaven's campaign. My designer wheels got turning and I thought about how fun it would be to have that style of scenario. This would be crazy in the base game, because it takes up 11 pages, but it's perfect for a PnP!

I really tried to make sure not to fall into the trap of over-complicating the rooms. But that's not to say it's easy. It's a labyrinth, so expect to get lost.

I'm also not a graphic designer, and my artistic skills are limited, so be prepared for some less than perfect colors and fonts(my computer won't do Nyala).

The City Card will only work if you're using clear sleeves on your event decks(otherwise it'll stick out pretty obviously). Or you can just pick it on purpose and read it to kick off the scenario.

I numbered it 200 because I figured it's best to keep my fan-made numbers well out of reach of Mr. Childres. At least for now.

I also put some work into the story, which was the main driver here. Don't read ahead! The text won't be as good if you skip around.

I love that Gloomhaven is more than a single game, it is a whole system that can be a canvas for an ex-DM like myself.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2ZKG5NvyRnnYVNCd09tZVBrQl...

Let me know what you think!

*edit*: Updated the files 3/28 : Minor text fixes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I put some thought into creating scenarios today and here's an idea: don't use numbers for your event or item cards or what have you. Use a 2 letter code and then a number.

So, if I were to create an item for AlphaSquid's scenarios, I'd label it AS1. Etc.

I can't wait to try your scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there isn't a dedicated forum for this kind of content, if anyone has an interest in creating a master thread of all fan-made content and putting it in the community wiki, I would love you forever (or at least as long as you continue to maintain it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3kindsofsalt wrote:
I numbered it 200 because I figured it's best to keep my fan-made numbers well out of reach of Mr. Childres. At least for now.

You mean for a week or two. I mean, have you seen this guy produce?!

Actually, Isaac's solo scenarios don't even have a number, just a character icon

Quote:
Let me know what you think!

I've only just printed it, but I'm curious about the size of the scenario... is it larger/longer than regular scenarios, or does it just look like that because of the branching paths?

One question occurs to me after looking at just the opening and the first room... branching paths are nice and all, but there doesn't seem to be any information to decide whether to go left or right. Meaning that there's some kind of structure, but we'll basically see some fraction of it... randomly? If there's no agency to the players' choice to go left or right, it's harder to be invested in what's revealed. It's not such a problem in the traditional scenarios, because one door might be closer than the other, or one room is known to be larger.

Nice to see someone trying something different though. These comments are both uninformed, and intended to be constructive. Thanks for creating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
Since there isn't a dedicated forum for this kind of content, if anyone has an interest in creating a master thread of all fan-made content and putting it in the community wiki, I would love you forever (or at least as long as you continue to maintain it).

bah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eamon Burke
United States
Rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for checking it out! Some things:

This isn't a solo scenario, if you do it alone, you will fail.

Also, good idea on the scenario number code.

Lastly, there is indeed far less than it seems. If you do it poorly and succeed, you'll end up using more movement than normal, but less than the 36 points of enemies Isaac suggests. If you do it well, it can be done very handily in 3- rooms.

Basically, you decide which way was good or bad, and the second run through will likely make way more progress, and there's more than one way to get through it. If you decide wrong, you'll die in the labyrinth.

You're not going to win the first time unless you're a very charmed guesser. It's supposed to be hard, it's a labyrinth! There's some clues in the story texts as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
(community wiki).

Oh my. Isaac a stretch goal should be an official Gloomhaven wikia page. It is needed!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to trying this!

although I may run it from the PDF to save on ink.

Which program are you using for creating the scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eamon Burke
United States
Rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I made this one in Gimp 2.0. I only used acrobat to make it a binder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I read the first page, it says:

Quote:
Treat the new room exactly as if it were behind a door, flipping a new action card for each enemy type, including those that moved from the previous room.

So, let me illustrate an example, so you tell me if it's right or not.

My party is a Brute and a Cragheart.

I'm in room 1 with 2 hounds left. It's round 2.

Initiative
Brute 15
Hounds - 30
Cragheart - 50

The Brute attacks a hound, but doesn't kill it.

The hounds take their action Move +0, Attack +0, which they do.

Now the Cragheart goes and moves down hallway B, entering the next room.

In the next room (I'm making this up because I didn't look ahead), there is a Cave Bear and another Hound.

I set up my characters and put the 2 hounds from the last room next to me. I flip over a Cave Bear card: Initiative 80 (Attack +3).

According to your rules, I flip over ANOTHER Hound card? Even though it's still the middle of round 2 and the 2 that came with me already took a turn this round? Seems weird, but ok.

I flip it over and it's Initiative 40 (Move +1, attack -1).

Ok, so now everything is set up, and it's still the Cragheart's turn. He finished moving an then attacks something, but doesn't kill it.

So now it's the hounds turn again? The 2 that came with me and the one that's already here do a Move +1 and an Attack -1.

Ok, then the cave bear goes and does his attack if anyone is in range.

Ok, example over. If this is how you want it, it is a big departure from the rules. Normally you wouldn't flip over a new ability card for monsters that already had one flip for the round. Normally, just the new hound would go if the other 2 already went this round. If you really want it to be the way it's written, it needs to be explained a little better in the rules.

Anyways, I look forward to actually playing this soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eamon Burke
United States
Rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yep, the new card for the hounds applies to those from the previous room.

If it didn't, you could easily break the scenario(don't wanna say how and ruin anything). The idea is that the character who lands on the room's exit found a promising pathway, and the others followed down it. The unkilled animals from the previous room chase them down, and the new tile acts in every way like a fresh start. It is highly advised to kill the bears and hounds in the room you're in, maybe bringing 1 very hurt one along if time demands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sai .
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind if I add this to my TTS Gloomhaven mod?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eamon Burke
United States
Rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Sorry I didn't see this before.

Go right ahead! I'd love that. What's it called?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.