United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey ya'll!
I've had Carcassonne almost as long as I've been in the hobby but never have I thought of playing it with my family.
My family is SUPER casual, though they were able to pick up games as heavy as Elder Sign in the past their preferences lie with simple games like Roll For It! and Ticket to Ride. I thought Carcassonne would be a good fit for them since it's very simple and easy to understand, but then I thought "that could be my advanced gamer-mind talking", plus I wanted to figure out a couple rules I'm pretty sure I was doing wrong before bringing it to them.
So, my question is: would this be a good fit for fans of light, simple family games? Some examples of their favorites include Zombie Dice, Roll for It!, Ticket to Ride and Elder Sign (the last one had a slight more difficulty in getting them into it) with the possibility of Broom Service.
Thanks for any help, gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne was the game that introduced me to board games. My family (young and teens) love this game. Excellent gateway game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, this is precisely the situation in which you should introduce Carcassonne. It is a great gateway game. Varied layers of strategy which will be slowly revealed to them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the perfect game to introduce family members to the idea that Games aren't just Sorry! or Monopoly.

I've played Carcassonne with non-gaming Grandparents, Aunts & Uncles, and nephews and nieces (so 3 generations).
My only advice would be to limit expansions:
maybe one the first time, and then an additional one or two for future games.
Too many expansions is where Carc enters the 'gamer's mind' realm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with my parents & my sister and her 12 year old daughter. They all picked it up quite quickly. My parents were a little confused at first about the idea of having multiple dudes that you place, rather than a single dude that you move, but they grokked it soon enough. Stick with the base game and you'll be fine. Ultimately, everyone basically knows how a map works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Carcassonne is about perfet as a family game. Obviously just the base game. I wouldn't introduce a version with several expansions.

Generally speaking, most Spiel des Jahres winners are good family games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Diebold
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chrisy,

we designed Carcassonne for casual families up to expert players. Meanwhile u will find a lot of different themes from Carcassonne Basegame over Star Wars up to My First Carcassonne. Choose one you like and try it. You will Love it!

Happy Playing,

Freddy meeple from Hans Im Glück
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gough
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course My First Carcassonne is a stand alone game with different rules to the Carcassone Base Game. I play both with my four year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Carcassonne is light, mildly competitive, inoffensive, and relatively quick. In those regards, it is an excellent family game.

You should consider your family, though. Carcassonne is nothing like the games you mentioned (at least the ones I'm familiar with), so they may not take to it. My son, for example, loves games with some form of cards that specify actions; it can be a board game, but if he can't draw a card to advance in some way, he'll zone out (e.g., he'll play Sorry but not Parcheesi). Thus, as much as I love Carcassonne, we rarely play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.