Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Murray
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was willing to give FFG the benefit of the doubt on Miskatonic Museum. They had a new game and maybe underestimated demand. But it seems that they didn't learn much, since Essex County Express had a one day supply as well. I'm still awaiting more Miskatonic Museum, since I didn't move fast enough to get one in the eight hours or so they were available. Is this going to be the state of affairs going forward? Certainly doesn't inspire me to commit to the series.

Thanks. I feel better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Porter
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fantasy Flight put in the initial print orders for the entire Dunwich Legacy line before the Dunwich Legacy even came out. They're fast-tracking reprints the best they can, but it's too late to adjust initial print runs for the rest of Dunwich Legacy. So unfortunately, it'll be the same for the rest of the packs in this cycle. The good news, now that they know what the demand is like, they'll probably order larger print runs starting with the next cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole LCG batch is printed at once, and presumably to the same number of units for each title (I don't know if they would go so far as account for drop off over time). So yes it's going to be the same for each mythos pack release until the inevitably reprint batch catches up to the release cycle.

The game was just a lot more popular than FFG expected. Launching a new title can be a big risk and they didn't want to end up with thousands of units unsold. I doubt the issue will exist by the next cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so much that they have a 1 day supply, it's that a lot of people have pre-ordered in advance, so there isn't much left on release day. I know I have pre-ordered the first 3 expansion packs, and will add the fourth just as soon as pre-orders open up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac S.B.
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Jorune wrote:
I don't think so much that they have a 1 day supply, it's that a lot of people have pre-ordered in advance, so there isn't much left on release day. I know I have pre-ordered the first 3 expansion packs, and will add the fourth just as soon as pre-orders open up.

That I believe is correct. My FLGS allows us to preorder through them (it gives them business and saves our shipping costs), and their preorder list is really long.

This game surpassed all sales expectations. Deservedly, if I may say so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely supply. My FLGS still hasn't ever had anything newer than Dunwich Legacy. No standalones, no mythos packs. So to me it looks like a zero-day supply. YOU SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR WHOLE DAY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think maybe FFG forgot at how fanatical people get about their Arkham Files games. The moment I saw news for this game I was SOLD on it and that was back when it was just a leaked (last April?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI has next month's Blood on the Altar available for pre-order right now. Have you ordered a copy yet? If not, you can only blame Fantasy Flight so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pre-ordered all the way up to Mythos Pack 5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, great. We're gonna have FFG using *KickStarter* now. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
CSI has next month's Blood on the Altar available for pre-order right now. Have you ordered a copy yet? If not, you can only blame Fantasy Flight so much.

I hope they open up preorders for May's pack soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Murray
United States
Quakertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally tend to order a bunch of games at once in order to avoid shipping costs (and I'm well over an hour away from the closest game store). I haven't preordered since I don't like the idea of paying shipping for a single $15 game. I'm willing to add games to reach the $100 threshold for free shipping, but it's hard to do that when the game sells out before you knew it had come out. Looks like I have no choice though if I want to play this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis Murray wrote:
I generally tend to order a bunch of games at once in order to avoid shipping costs (and I'm well over an hour away from the closest game store). I haven't preordered since I don't like the idea of paying shipping for a single $15 game. I'm willing to add games to reach the $100 threshold for free shipping, but it's hard to do that when the game sells out before you knew it had come out. Looks like I have no choice though if I want to play this game.

Team Covenant offers a subscription. You can just subscribe to the mythos packs. Total price for each pack comes out to about $17, including shipping, and you don't have to worry about supply or pre-ordering or anything. You just wait for it and they come to your door a couple of days after the street date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I think maybe FFG forgot at how fanatical people get about their Arkham Files games. The moment I saw news for this game I was SOLD on it and that was back when it was just a leaked (last April?).

It's a new format for Arkham. There was no guarantee board gamers would have followed the brand into the LCG space. Particularly for the expansions, as FFG has a lot of customers who buy single LCG core boxes to play as standalone board games, but never buy a single expansion.

I'm glad it's exceeding expectations, but it's too bad some are having a hard time getting a hold of product. Hopefully things smooth out going into cycle 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis Murray wrote:
I was willing to give FFG the benefit of the doubt on Miskatonic Museum. They had a new game and maybe underestimated demand. But it seems that they didn't learn much, since Essex County Express had a one day supply as well. I'm still awaiting more Miskatonic Museum, since I didn't move fast enough to get one in the eight hours or so they were available. Is this going to be the state of affairs going forward? Certainly doesn't inspire me to commit to the series.

You misunderstand how FFG does things. They print the entire cycle at the same time. The whole "on the boat"/"now shipping" thing is simply a mirage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Dennis Murray wrote:

You misunderstand how FFG does things. They print the entire cycle at the same time. The whole "on the boat"/"now shipping" thing is simply a mirage.

I find that highly unlikely.

Why would they just make that information up?

What proof do you have that it is, as you put it, "a mirage"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They've got reprints already off the presses and in pre-distribution transit for the Arkham Horror: The Card Game – The Dunwich Legacy: Expansion and the first two packs of its cycle. I've just bought into this game late, although I was interested as soon as it was announced. There seems very little chance that any of us willing to pony up for this cycle won't be able to do so eventually. In the meanwhile, I figure I'm just not part of the "inaugural class." I'll enjoy the core scenarios and the two standalone packs in the meanwhile, and the ink will smell just as fresh on a second printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's absolutely fake, we know 100% that all the LCG cycles (Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Arkham Horror, etc) are developed as a block, and developed like a year or so before printing (cycle 2 of Arkham is almost certainly finished), then printed as a block. Yet if you go to that page it will tell you, Pack 1 is in stores, Pack 2 is on the boat, Pack 3 it at the printers, and Pack 4 is in development.
The terms are more like a guide to 'how far away from street date are they'.

It's marketing.

I can remember Steve Horvath mentioning it in a Team Covenant interview, if I can recall which one specifically I'll update with a link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
They're designed simultaneously, but printers still have finite capacity. It would be logical to split it up into regular blocks like that, especially when they also produce a lot of other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes me really appreciate my FLGS, they set aside a copy of every release for me with no money down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dennis Murray wrote:

I feel the same way. From what I heard about Miskatonic, stores in my area only got a fraction of what they ordered. If a store orders 10 copies, and you send them 4, this is a problem.

And hearing that the latest pack is having the same problems as Miskatonic, I am falling into the same boat as those who do not want to commit to an LCG that is having constant distribution problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
eh this is the problem for any of the new hotness board games. FLGSs always seem to have issues getting the target number they order from the distribution companies. FFG LCGs are not peculiar in this regard. That's why I never trust that a FLGS will have a new hot item in stock at release. FFG is very quick at ordering reprints for their LCGs so I don't think this will be an issue for long.

If this really bugs you I'd suggest preordering from someone like CSI or getting a Team Covenant subscription. They both have good reputations for fulfilling their preorders. Yeah you are going to pay around a $2-$3 premium for the luxury in the US, but it's the much safer route.

If you aren't that fanatical I'd just take your chances at your FLGS asking them to hold a copy for you either prior to release or on release day. If they fail you then just wait for the reprint.

Eventually the demand will level out and/or FFG will get a better gauge on how big a print run to order in the future. They can't adjust these things without a reasonable lead time considering the bulk of their printed is all done overseas. As stated before FFG LCGs are developed cycles in advance. The production for this cycle was set in motion well before the core set was released. So the shortages are understandable considering how well the core set sold.

What I worry about is that some people have stated that they are buying multiples of each product to support multiplayer deck building, which may be artificially inflating the demand. I don't think that rate of spending is going to be sustainable in the long run and those sorts of people will burn out (along with the regular LCG burn out we see), and that might make the target number for FFG a bit harder to predict. I guess worry is the wrong word because it doesn't matter much to me if FFG over orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
phillosmaster wrote:
What I worry about is that some people have stated that they are buying multiples of each product to support multiplayer deck building, which may be artificially inflating the demand. I don't think that rate of spending is going to be sustainable in the long run and those sorts of people will burn out (along with the regular LCG burn out we see), and that might make the target number for FFG a bit harder to predict. I guess worry is the wrong word because it doesn't matter much to me if FFG over orders.

It's only artificially inflated demand if people are't using the product, such as speculators buying to resell, either now or in the future, for profit.

There will probably be a large nunber of people who only buy the core box, but there's nothing that suggests players who buy multiple copies are less likely to continue doing so.

I'm sure FFG took a wait-and-see stance when the core box outsold expectations, but once Dunwich did the same, they're on much firmer ground for predicting continuing sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudeman Blarg
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, FFG ****ed up. They did the same with Destiny and it will happen again with L5R later this year. They remind me of Nintendo, vastly underestimating demand/anticipation of their products. Look at it this way, next MP might have more in-stock on release day because people are fed up with the lack of products and may have left to wait for reprints or left the game altogether. But I recommend to pre-order to guarantee a spot and have a peace of mind you won't have to deal with scrambling to get a copy post release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens with ALL hotness games.

It's not an FFG problem. It's an industry wide problem.

And it's not even really a 'problem' as such, rather it's simply the nature of the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.