Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Perry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group had a discussion last night on CVPs and we realized that the Axis and Allied players have been playing differently. Axis players have been flipping CVPs when the CV returns to base and Allied players have not. Both sides have also been flipping CVPs to initiate naval searches, which also appears to be wrong (the CV and CVP should both be flipped). There are separate components to this topic, so I'm going to break them down. The rules referenced for this discussion should be from the published WiFFE, including most options and kits, published oil rules, and FAQ.

The concern is that CVP are not being flipped as often as they should and therefore less oil is being spent throughout the game to reorganize the units.

1. Initiating a search: "CVPiF/SiF option 56: You may not turn a carrier plane face-down
to start a combat. If you turn a CV face-down, turn its carrier plane
face-down as well."

2. Abort results 14.4.1: "If a carrier plane is on a CV that aborts, the carrier plane aborts
with it. You then turn both of them face-down."

3. Return to base 14.4.1: "When a CV ends its move in port, it turns face-down (see 11.4.1).
Turn its carrier plane face-down if the CV moved into the port
during the action segment and started the step at sea."

4. Reorganization(11.18.4): "CVPiF/SiF option 56: If you reorganise a CV, you can always
reorganise its carrier plane free."

5. Final Reorganization (13.5.1): "SiF option 9: Each naval unit (CVPiF/SiF option 56: or carrier
plane) you turn face-up counts as half a unit and each convoy point
counts as a quarter of a unit."

Summary, if a CV+CVP initiates a search, then both units must be flipped. During final reorganizatoin 1/10 oil must be used to reorganize each unit. The above statement is also true if the CV+CVP return to port during an abort result or during the action step as a naval movement. However, if an at-sea, face-up CV+CVP returns to base at the end of the turn (step E3), then only the CV is flipped and only 1/10 oil must be spent to reorganize the CV; the CVP remains face-up.

Point #4, above, only refers to reorganization in the action phase, when an HQ, ATR, TRS, or AMPH is reorganizing a face-down CV+CVP. During final reorganization a CVP is not reorganized for free along with the CV. Is everything stated a correct understanding of the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatecrasher wrote:

Point #4, above, only refers to reorganization in the action phase, when an HQ, ATR, TRS, or AMPH is reorganizing a face-down CV+CVP. During final reorganization a CVP is not reorganized for free along with the CV. Is everything stated a correct understanding of the rules?

I didn't check all your quotes; I assume they were correct. But one additional quote in 13.5.1 explains how to handle CVPs during final reorg when using RAW oil rule:

"SiF option 9: Each naval unit (CVPiF/SiF option 56: or carrier plane) you turn face-up counts as half a unit and each convoy point counts as a quarter of a unit."

So yes, CVPs do require oil to flip during final reorg when playing with the oil option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wendell, I appreciate that there are active players on this message board willing to respond quickly to rule questions. However, as I've expressed to you in private previously, you are sometimes so quick to answer that you don't fully read the question and intent. By our own admission you did not read all of my quotes. In this case, I had already included your quote from the rulebook in point #5 and your post added no new information to the discussion. My intent was a comprehensive exploration of the CVP units with regards to flipping/not flipping, when they reorganize for free and when they don't. I wanted to check the information I found and make sure I didn't misunderstand or overlook anything. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.