Tim Huntsman
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Living here in Salt Lake City (behind the Zion Curtain) it can be somewhat opaque about what kind of local and regional game cons are happening out there. I am looking to road-trip and do some touring. To do so, I am trying to figure out some kind of map/progression that I can work from.

I am finding it very hard to track down any info on 'local' gaming con's

Any help and/or insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SaltCON just happen in Layton, BryceCon was January in Bryce Canyon area. MeepleCon is this weekend in Las Vegas, STGCon is in St George in August. I-Con is next month, I believe, in Idaho. There's a few others that include gaming, but I'm not as familiar with them. Also quarterly game days and an annual library game day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico Cordova
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have decided to go to several cons nearby and I had trouble finding info too. I had better luck finding a place we wanted to go, then search for a con in that area.

For example, we wanted to see some friends in Phoenix, and after searching I came across RinCon in Tuscon in late October. Now we know what time of year to go visit our friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One big problem I've found, just from the perspective of the NY/NJ area, is that many of the smaller cons have so few people working them and their reach is so small that unless you are already part of the local convention scene, or somehow connected to their publicity list, you have no clue a convention is even occurring.

Many also have such intimate staff connections that they also don't often reach out to other companies or groups that would help with publicity and it doesn't get added to any of the multiple attempts at a complete convention listing. I've seen bits and pieces attempted on BGG, Warhorn, SJ Games' Convention list, and a couple of others, but there are always a bunch that are on one and not others, partly because not everyone knows about more than one of those sites too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know from experience that small convention directors and their teams are often terrible at marketing, making it hard for interested gamers to even discover them.

Here's the marketing advice I give them on my con-in-a-box site. Links to lists of game conventions are included.
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/39411/marketing-your-conv...

Supplement this with searches for "games" on meetup.com for each area you plan to travel through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Engelmann wrote:
Yes, I know from experience that small convention directors and their teams are often terrible at marketing, making it hard for interested gamers to even discover them.

Here's the marketing advice I give them on my con-in-a-box site. Links to lists of game conventions are included.

Supplement this with searches for "games" on meetup.com for each area you plan to travel through.

I like those. Probably want to remove Game Convention Central from that list. I loved the site, but it hasn't been updated and no response from the owners in a couple of years. A good one to add is:

http://casualgamerevolution.com/game-cons-2017

Last year it was just a list, but very full. This year they've included a map, and there are over 400 conventions listed. A few are duplicates, and some are TBA because it's been held in the past, but no current info, but at least they're not completely forgotten about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Montalvo
United States
McAllen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Casual Gamer Eveuliution is a good resource and have usd it to look for upcoming cons.

Also, Eric has a point that convention coordinators have to post and update their information. Hopefully in a month or two I can my idea off the ground and get a convention going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Campbell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Growing old is mandatory but growing UP is optional!
badge
Tabletop Game News, Reviews, Sales, Design and Publishing. Visit us at www.iwillnevergrowup.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
klz_fc wrote:
One big problem I've found, just from the perspective of the NY/NJ area, is that many of the smaller cons have so few people working them and their reach is so small that unless you are already part of the local convention scene, or somehow connected to their publicity list, you have no clue a convention is even occurring.

Many also have such intimate staff connections that they also don't often reach out to other companies or groups that would help with publicity and it doesn't get added to any of the multiple attempts at a complete convention listing. I've seen bits and pieces attempted on BGG, Warhorn, SJ Games' Convention list, and a couple of others, but there are always a bunch that are on one and not others, partly because not everyone knows about more than one of those sites too.

One of the problems running a small local con when it comes to reach is having zero marketing budget and actually getting the event out there so people know about it. We experience that with our own convention just east of Toronto, Ontario every fall. Growing our attendance has been painfully slow. (www.fmgcon.com)

Much easier in a larger city with an active game community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends. I wasn't implicating the staff at these ocns as the main problem necessarily, but I did find a lot around here rely on local stores for publicity (which somehow also translates to not utilizing other area cons with similar fan bases to use to promote themselves). Granted, some of this may be the competition aspect, but for NY and NJ, growing attendance is no easier than the small area you are talking about. This is partly tempered by the fact that it's too expensive to run a game convention in the city, so you have to look farthere away, which ends up cutting down your potential attendace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
Eric Engelmann wrote:

I like those. Probably want to remove Game Convention Central from that list. I loved the site, but it hasn't been updated and no response from the owners in a couple of years. A good one to add is:

http://casualgamerevolution.com/game-cons-2017

Last year it was just a list, but very full. This year they've included a map, and there are over 400 conventions listed. A few are duplicates, and some are TBA because it's been held in the past, but no current info, but at least they're not completely forgotten about.

Thanks!! I've updated my links and added my August con in Tysons Conrer, VA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.