The Island of Doctor Necreaux: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Fan-Created Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Desi W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,
Our Kickstarter is going in full force, and we've got a few social stretch goals to help get Kickstarter backers involved with the process of creating The Island of Doctor Necreaux: Second Edition. This forum invites fans to submit their ideas for cards for the game.

UPDATE: We're looking for monster and trap ideas, too.

Please submit your idea for one of these five card types:
1) Skill card
2) Item card
3) Secret Cache card
4) Monster card idea
5) Trap idea

Please state which of the three card types you're submitting.
It helps if you put it in bold text: Item, Skill, Secret Cache

Then give the skill or item a name. (Secret cache cards are all just secret caches.) Tell us what the card does.

If it's a card that has charges, tell us how many. If it gets charges, how/when? If you spend charges, what's the effect?

indigo
Try not to get too bogged down with details about mechanics. Jonathan will work with you to smooth out specific details so that the card is balanced/works well with the games.

We're going to try not to comment on each one of these - but if there are questions, we'll jump in. We don't want our comments getting in the way of the flow of your ideas.

indigo

IDEAS To get ideas, or if you're not familiar with the game, you might check out the rules on our Kickstarter page, or here's a tip from Jonathan Leistiko, the designer:

invisiblejon wrote:
Reading through the existing cards is a great way to get an idea of the "power level" of current items, skills, and caches: http://stonesoupentertainments.com/sites/default/files/necre...

Here are a couple of sample item cards:

Here are a couple of sample skill cards:

Sample Emergency cache cards coming soon...

thumbsup
When we have 30 (or more) submissions in one category, we'll figure out a system to use to vote - probably let Kickstarter backers vote - on the top 2 in that category to be added to the Limited Edition backer-created expansion pack.

Thank you for participating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the existing cards is a great way to get an idea of the "power level" of current items, skills, and caches: http://stonesoupentertainments.com/sites/default/files/necre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge Tate
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Item

Emergency Rocket Pack

Use before drawing. Move the Draw marker forward one space immediately. If the next card drawn this round requires a speed roll, all results will be 3's (do not actually roll). Discard after use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Item

Emergency Rocket Pack

Use before drawing. Move the Draw marker forward one space immediately. If the next card drawn requires a speed roll, all results will be 3's (do not actually roll). Discard after use.

3's seems to be a quite slow Rocket Pack in my opinion 5's would better reflect a rocket-start. But thumbsup anyway.

I've come with some creations myself [N are considered to be the charges]:

Skill

Thinky - Tech or Psychic
Initial charges: 0

If another of your skills would get 1 N, you may instead put this N on this skill.
4 N Deactivate this skill and have a player of your choice draw 2 skills and keep one.

Skill

Team Leader - Heroic
Initial charges: 0

0 N : Take 1 N from a skill of your team to add 1 N to this skill.
5 N : Defeat the curret monster or take the green result of the current trap or ignore the current room or succeed at the trait check of the current event.

Item

Whip (1)

You may escape a monster or a trap. Choose to escape before rolling dice for it.
If you escape a card this way, shuffle it into the last 27 cards of the Adventure Deck.

Intention of this was to swing away from a bad thing by using your whip like a rope. Sort of Indiana Jones style. Last 27 cards is to not have this card gone but have a chance to see it again before successfully escaping.

Item

Whip (2)

When a new Item is drawn from the Adventure Deck, you may discard this card to claim this Item instead of adding it to the Loot.

Again, intention is a well timed whiplash to grab something out of reach. One of the Whips could be renamed as Grappling Hook if naming both whip causes confusion.

Secret Cache

Attach this card to an Agent on your Team.
Put Items drawn from the Adventure Deck under this cache. If the number of Items under this cache equals the number of players, shuffle these items face down and deal one to each player. In any order, players may guess which Item they received, then reveal their item. If guessed correctly, they claim the item. Otherwise it is discarded. Players do not guess simultaneously and therefore know which cards are passed already. Choose your order wisely.

Intention on this was some sort of Squirrel hiding its nuts and forgetting where they were

Secret Cache

Attach this card to an Agent on your Team.
If you did not defeat a monster, put it under this card instead of taking its effects and damage. If there are 2 monsters under this card, discard the one with lower CP and add N from your teams skills to this cache equal to the CP difference of the two monsters.
If the N on this card is greater than the CP of the monster under it, destroy this cache.

Intention is some sort of bestiary cage

Unfortunately, the Caches got a bit wordy. This will surely not fit on a card If you have any suggestions to get them shorter, that would be great.

Also, I am glad for any comments on the cards made, because I am not sure if their power level fits. Many thanks in advance

Edit: added initial skill charges
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge Tate
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tschaibi wrote:

3's seems to be a quite slow Rocket Pack in my opinion 5's would better reflect a rocket-start.

Ah yes, but remember on Trap cards, usually you want to roll higher (unless I am mistaken) than your Speed. So rolling low would actually symbolize that you were going to fast to spot the trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

I just want to mention that I'll have to restrict/restrain my natural impulse to comment as much as I want to in this thread because (once at least 20 different people submit cards in a given category) people will vote on what they like. I want to refrain from swaying votes.

That said, I'll offer what hints/tips/ advice I can via private message instead of clogging this thread up. Don't worry about getting the mechanics "just right." We'll tune them up later on.

Also, I really enjoy seeing y'all's ideas. They're so neat!

- JAL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tschaibi wrote:
Item

Whip (1)

You may escape a monster or a trap. Choose to escape before rolling dice for it.
If you escape a card this way, shuffle it into the last 27 cards of the Adventure Deck.

Intention of this was to swing away from a bad thing by using your whip like a rope. Sort of Indiana Jones style. Last 27 cards is to not have this card gone but have a chance to see it again before successfully escaping.
There's a mechanic in the game that does something similar. The Relentless Zombie Horde and the Formless Terror use it. You roll a number of dice, sum them, lift that many cards from the deck, put the delayed card on the deck, then replace the lifted cards. That might work well for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
invisiblejon wrote:
Tschaibi wrote:
Item

Whip (1)

There's a mechanic in the game that does something similar. The Relentless Zombie Horde and the Formless Terror use it. You roll a number of dice, sum them, lift that many cards from the deck, put the delayed card on the deck, then replace the lifted cards. That might work well for this.

If I understood it correctly, they both have Relentless, which only triggers if they got defeated. This is not the case here, so I think Delay would fit better. The new wording would be:

"You may escape a monster or trap. Choose to escape before rolling dice for that card.
If you escape a card this way, delay it by rolling 3 dice."

Expalphalog wrote:
Tschaibi wrote:

3's seems to be a quite slow Rocket Pack in my opinion 5's would better reflect a rocket-start.

Ah yes, but remember on Trap cards, usually you want to roll higher (unless I am mistaken) than your Speed. So rolling low would actually symbolize that you were going to fast to spot the trap.

Ah, now I got the Emergency idea. You want to get one card closer to another turn where you can rest, so you skip a draw but maybe have to take a bad effect for it. It is also interesting that the Emergency Rocket Pack might encourage players to take a speed of maximum 6.

@Jonathan: I've noticed some traps that have the > or >= result as upper one and some on lower one. I guess this might confuse players or might be overlooked. You should consider beginning each card with the > or >= result. This means Marked for Death and Secret Passageway.

I've come up with two some other card ideas in between:

Item

Malfunctioning Time-Travel Device

Roll 2 dice and sum their results. Separate that much cards from the top of the Adventure Deck and set them besides the Adventure Deck. They form a Time Distorted Deck. Split the players into two teams, one has to draw from the Adventure Deck and one from the Time Distorted Deck. They regroup if the Time Distorted Deck runs out of cards.

Intention was something like Sliding Wall as item, but with parallel progress through 2 decks. And I imagined a Device made by McGyver out of a rubber band, a swiss army knife and a plutonium stick.

Item

Refrigerator

Put 2 N on this item.
1 N: This counts as destroying one of your Skill cards or disabling up to 2.
2 N: Prevent all damage a monster would deal and ignore all its effects.

Idea was the szene where Indiana Jones survives a nuclear explosion in a Fridge. On the card a reference to "Nukin the Fridge" could be placed. Similarities to the Robust Skill are intended.

Skill

Gambler - Tech
Initial Charges: 0

Everytime your dice sum up to exactly 7, put N on this card.
2 N: You may reroll one of your dice. You have to take the new result.
5 N: Once, instead of rolling your dice, you may set them to any result.

Secret Cache

Attach this Cache to a player.
That player may add or subtract 1 from each die she rolls.
Each other player may add or subtract 1 from one die that player rolls
Each monster gets Chaotic Damage and Chaotic Target.

Intention is the benefit and danger that lies within the CHAOS

Edit: After writing this post, 2 new card ideas exploded in my mind. Added them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played the game, so find it hard to imagine exactly how the cards would work, but if you're going for pulp sci-fi how about

*A Star trek inspired Trap card for Tribbles!

It could theoretically slow down the agents by pure numbers unless they can achieve a successful roll as a trap

*The "Noisy Cricket" from MiB could be spoofed as an actual cricket item, with the noise it makes affecting Monster cards

*Vibroblade's have appeared in several sci-fi things, most notably Shadowrun and Battletech I believe

*A shield (item) fashioned as a rip off of Captain America's. Could be used to deflect damage as a discard maybe as he does throw it!

*The compass that doesn't point north from pirates of the Carribean. maybe an Item that could have a random effect depending on a dice. It may allow you to skip forward but may also have no effect or even make you go backwards!

*HAL 9000 artificial AI monster would be somewhat fitting to the Doctors Island lair!

*The iconic Mask from the same said film could theoretically be an item that could be discarded (as it was a few times in the movie) after use?

Happy to discuss further, but I'm sure people with the games knowledge would know if any of these ideas are any good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas! We'll continue this thread - or pick it up again - when we launch the sequel. By then, more people will have played the game, and submissions here will carry over.

I put "Rocket shoes" in the Facebook page thread (https://www.facebook.com/groups/437091366637024/)

ROCKET BOOTS! The player who has these sweet boots gets to draw an extra card. Card description: At the end of a turn, after cards are drawn, before moving the countdown timer and resetting your speed, you may draw one card and either 1) resolve it as a team of one with a speed of 1+the speed on the speed track or put it back on top of the deck face-up.

Your first trap - I like the idea of a trap that slows the team down, makes them choose damage or dialing down the speed. Jonathan may weigh in on that soon.

I like the Captain America shield idea - and if you throw it, it deflects damage (*and* with a specific result on a die roll, maybe damages a monster?).

*I need to see this HAL 9000 movie.*

Great ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

I wonder if others felt a little like me in that because I've not played the game, I struggled to put ideas down

I sat and watched Rahdo's Runthrough today which helped me to get a grasp of how the game worked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.