16 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: First Impression of Daedalus Expansions Insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Graham
msg tools
mb
Recently at SaltCon, Daedalus had a fancy new insert for the EH expansions to show off. Because of how much I love the original insert as well as the living nightmare it was trying to set up and organize EH with all the extra expansions, I ordered it immediately. I just received it today and finished assembling it a few hours ago, but since I haven't really had enough time with it to actually give a real review/rating, I thought I would share my initial impressions. Tl;dr at the end.

Pros:

Looks great, it's the same style/color as the original. Fits nicely into my pyramids expansion box, and generally does everything you want it too.

They improved upon the original's design by making the removable containers way more functional. There are separate set ups for assets, spells, and unique assets that make them far easier to remove for shuffling as well as draw from. There's an expanded, individual piece for expeditions, and a container for portals that I find really cool.

This one doesn't raise the lid nearly as much as the original one does, so it sits pretty close to flush.

Cons:

Putting it together was much more difficult than the original. On the original you rarely found 2 pieces that fit together more than snugly, and glue was a requirement to keep a lot of it from falling apart. On this one, almost every single part fits very tightly, to the point the I had to lightly sand down a few to make them fit. There were some pieces that required glue, but many of them were jammed together so tightly glue was not required. While this may sound like a pro to some, when you're working with fragile wooden pieces like this it becomes a real challenge not to break some of them.

Like the original, the pieces are still very prone to chipping. Despite being very careful when punching out the pieces I still could not avoid it on some of them, and had to glue little chips back on. Honestly in most parts this isn't a huge deal because the easiest places to chip are the lips that insert into another piece (so you'll probably never see them), but I did have one on the outside corner of the locations box that is currently taunting me.

Specifically on the box that holds the epic monsters/investigator placards (K in the assembly instructions, Part 8 on the picture diagram) the sides have a low dip to allow you to lift the pile of investigator placards out of the insert. But because of how low that dip goes the wood is so thin that I couldn't avoid snapping one of them when punching it out. It fit together okay and you wouldn't be able to notice at first glance, but even with extreme caution it was basically unavoidable. So far it feels like the only actual design flaw to me. Even if it is inconvenient to get that last little guy out of there, those sides need more width along the bottom or they're going to be snapping all the time.

The stain they used was caked on in certain places, requiring some (very careful) light sanding to remove it.

Overall as of this moment I am very pleased with it. Now that it's put together it's exactly what I wanted, and it looks great. The flaws/issues are there, but they're pretty much only issues with the actual assembly, not the final product. With a little tinkering I think it could be a perfect insert. I'll add to or edit this once I have some more time/experience with it, but I'm a happy customer. As of right now I would give it a solid 4/5.

tl;dr It's a great insert, alongside the original it fits everything except for Cities in Ruin. Adds some nice quality of life changes, but has some kinks that make punching out the pieces risky and putting it together a pain. There were a few specific pieces that in my opinion were way to thin, and mine had some of the wood stain caked on that had to be sanded off. As of this moment I would give it a 4/5.

Edits: Formatting/spelling, etc...

Edit:

Another quick observation. The holder for all of the mythos cards as well as the slots for Africa and The Pyramids is just a little too small. The website says it fits Mayday Chimera sleeves, where I use Fantasy Flight, but that's never been an issue before and most cards fit perfectly. Can probably fix this one with a little light sanding, but still adds some difficulty to the assembly process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Zaleski
msg tools
mbmb
Have you ever used Broken Token inserts? I've only bought one insert, and that was from The Broken Token for LE: Alien. While it did require a lot of glue, the pieces of wood were pretty thick, and I didn't experience any chipping or other parts breaking. Just curious about the quality since I am interested in this for my copy of EH, and some time soon I plan on getting Star Wars Rebellion which seems like an insert is required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sims
United States
Bryant
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
So much for Pathos...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both Daedalus inserts (Robinson Crusoe and EH) and Broken Token (Pandemic - Biohazard Containment Unit; this is a complete "crate" that holds Pandemic and all expansions).

The Broken Token one is definitely thicker wood, especially on the outer box which holds all the other organizers, but I think that is merely because it is more of a box than an organizer.

I would say both companies make quality products - I'm happy with all the stuff I own and have ordered the Daedalus EH Expansion organizer. I *may* try to eventually put it and the original base EH organizer into a single Hobby Lobby trunk or something. That keeps it all in one container and may allow for more room as more EH expansions come out like Cities in Ruin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSims wrote:
I *may* try to eventually put it and the original base EH organizer into a single Hobby Lobby trunk or something. That keeps it all in one container and may allow for more room as more EH expansions come out like Cities in Ruin.

Maybe the Hobby Lobby trunk you mention is different from and bigger than their artist case. I'm storing EH in a Hobby Lobby Artist Case using the Firefly Workshop insert. I'm *very* happy with this solution and I'm planning to heavily customize and decorate it. I like how everything fits together and interlocks. This is my first purchased insert. Up until now I've used my own home-made storage solutions. I enjoy trying to get everything to fit together neatly and at the same time make the game easy to play by minimizing setup and teardown time.

But I'm not planning on getting all of the expansions. I sleeve my cards with premium sleeves and I don't think I could fit four expansions in it although they say you can. *Maybe* I could squeeze four in but then it would be much less convenient to use IMO. I think four might fit comfortably with penny sleeves or no sleeves.

If I end up getting more expansions than comfortably fit in the artist case then I think I would get an insert for the core box and put the spillover in there. As long as FFG keeps pumping out expansions, there will be no one-size-fits-all storage solution for EH. There will always be compromises to make.

edit: this faux leather trunk looks fantastic and the price is reasonable (at $37.49, half-price) but it is not a lot larger than the artist case. The only dimension that is larger is the height which is 6" compared to 4.5". The other two dimensions are slightly smaller. Maybe the smaller trunk that comes with it could be used for some spillover.

Here are Some pictures of it being used for EH storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Graham
msg tools
mb
Mr EB Slugworth wrote:
Have you ever used Broken Token inserts? I've only bought one insert, and that was from The Broken Token for LE: Alien. While it did require a lot of glue, the pieces of wood were pretty thick, and I didn't experience any chipping or other parts breaking. Just curious about the quality since I am interested in this for my copy of EH, and some time soon I plan on getting Star Wars Rebellion which seems like an insert is required.

I have used broken token inserts before, they're great but I haven't ever been able to get one for EH. However even if I could I do prefer the aesthetic of the Daedalus insert. I really enjoy the color and little tentacle carvings, which might not sway other buyers but it definitely does me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sims
United States
Bryant
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
So much for Pathos...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, any Hobby Lobby trunk combined with Daedalus insert(s) will be an improvisation.

My goal in so doing would be to:
1. Contain everything I have now for EH (all current expansions) into one container
2. Hopefully have or make that container be fairly thematic
3. Have a bit of room for future expansions

I realize (3) above may wind-up driving me crazy as FF may well (will probably) release many more expansions. This will simply be thematic as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
@MrSims, I applaud and support your efforts to make a convenient and thematic storage solution for this game. Such solutions really add to my enjoyment of games. I'm delighted to see the creative solutions people come up with here. I wish someone would make an EH insert for those Faux Leather cases.

@nadrao, sorry to have partially hijacked your thread. I too use FFG sleeves. Your review of the Daedalus expansion insert is very interesting. If I succumb to expansion fever then I'm going to need something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sims
United States
Bryant
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
So much for Pathos...
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:
I wish someone would make an EH insert for those Faux Leather cases.

Someone has. Fairly expensive and shipping, even here in the US, is no joke:

http://lyrislaser.com/product/trunk-of-horrors/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSims wrote:
BitJam wrote:

Thanks but I don't think that's the same case. That case is much larger. It can fit all of the current expansions and then some. It will hold a lot more than any of the boxes I was able to find at the Hobby Lobby site. The DIY price of $140 is enticing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sims
United States
Bryant
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
So much for Pathos...
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam wrote:

Thanks but I don't think that's the same case. That case is much larger. It can fit all of the current expansions and then some. It will hold a lot more than any of the boxes I was able to find at the Hobby Lobby site. The DIY price of $140 is enticing.

Oh I see. You're wanting something fitting a specific Hobby Lobby case. I was just referencing this as one made for a similar-type case.

The $140 is enticing, indeed, but I emailed and shipping to me (Arkansas) was an additional $50. It looks sweet, but for that money, I'll DIY a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSims wrote:
BitJam wrote:

Hah, yeah. I bought that a gift for myself for my 50th birthday. It works great, but the overall effect is heavy. I have to wheel it around at conventions.

I'm happy with it though. It can fit one more side-board expansion at this point, and an unknown number of small expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sims
United States
Bryant
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
So much for Pathos...
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
Hah, yeah. I bought that a gift for myself for my 50th birthday. It works great, but the overall effect is heavy. I have to wheel it around at conventions.

I'm happy with it though. It can fit one more side-board expansion at this point, and an unknown number of small expansions.

Thanks for that info. I was sorely tempted, but I already have the Daedalus insert for the base game and first couple of expansions. The Daedalus insert for the few most recent expansions should arrive (unassembled) today.

If I wasn't committed so, I would have likely dropped the cash on the Lyris one. Heck, might still - 50 for me is in January 2018!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what's a heaven for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sims
United States
Bryant
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
So much for Pathos...
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSims wrote:
The Daedalus insert for the few most recent expansions should arrive (unassembled) today.

The second Daedalus insert for the later expansions arrived yesterday and I assembled it last night. Took the masking tape off today after work and it seems to be of the same good quality as the original insert.

I was using the original box and one of the boxes from the big expansions anyway, now I have an insert for the second box.

I had a game in progress, so I have not put everything in the 2 inserts and completely boxed it all up yet. I will update when that happens. May not be long as Hypnos is laying the smackdown on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Graham
msg tools
mb
Quote:
The second Daedalus insert for the later expansions arrived yesterday and I assembled it last night. Took the masking tape off today after work and it seems to be of the same good quality as the original insert.

I was using the original box and one of the boxes from the big expansions anyway, now I have an insert for the second box.

I had a game in progress, so I have not put everything in the 2 inserts and completely boxed it all up yet. I will update when that happens. May not be long as Hypnos is laying the smackdown on me.

I'll be interested in seeing whether or not you have the same issues as I have, please do update. I still love it regardless, but I'm curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sims
United States
Bryant
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
So much for Pathos...
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant to update here but kinda forgot until I went through my subscriptions. Sorry.

Anyway, I got the second Daedalus insert assembled, finished my game against Hypnos (lost LOL) and put everything away.

The insert gives the slots you need to put everything away. I found only one thing that either doesn't hold everything or I'm doing it in a way not intended by Daedalus: the Orange, Green and Purple encounter decks are too thick for the slots provided. I do not have sleeved cards, either.

I worked around this by storing these decks in another part of the card slots and it worked fine. My main goals were to have everything in two of the big boxes (mine are the base game box and the box for Mountains of Madness) and for all of it to be organized such that set up / tear down is made easier and faster. I think these inserts accomplish these goals well.

I haven't proceeded to my next step of finding a trunk at Hobby Lobby to put the inserts into to provide a thematic storage for all of the game. I may get prodded into that when Cities in Ruin is released, I hear in June.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.