Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone else concerned about board space? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shanti Massey
msg tools
So, I'm all in. I love the look and feel of this game so far as I've seen. But even from the playthrough with 4 people, much less 6, and now with Kami figures...

I'm worried about the board space. I feel like its going to be too crowded. Am I worried over nothing? Anyone share this concern?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Purgatus wrote:
So, I'm all in. I love the look and feel of this game so far as I've seen. But even from the playthrough with 4 people, much less 6, and now with Kami figures...

I'm worried about the board space. I feel like its going to be too crowded. Am I worried over nothing? Anyone share this concern?


No, you're not the only one. I wonder about it, too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ah kaiser
Canada
Woodstock
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer a smaller board. Not a lot of room and we almost never have more than 4-5 people available the same night.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ahkaiser wrote:
I prefer a smaller board. Not a lot of room and we almost never have more than 4-5 people available the same night.


If it's designed for 6, then it needs to fit pieces for 6 players comfortably. A cramped board just makes it harder to tell what's going on.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfiinger
msg tools
Why have such huge figures, complete kickstarter gimmick if you ask me. Sure have slightly taller figures to show difference but do they have to be that huge...!

Pure waste of board space and the only reason I can see is to make it appear that the kickstarter rewards are better becuase they're bigger.

So much board space being lost out on.

I believe this giant minitures thing is a trend which in a year or three people are going to be tied of.

Views?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldfiinger wrote:
Why have such huge figures, complete kickstarter gimmick if you ask me. Sure have slightly taller figures to show difference but do they have to be that huge...!

Pure waste of board space and the only reason I can see is to make it appear that the kickstarter rewards are better becuase they're bigger.

So much board space being lost out on.

I believe this giant minitures thing is a trend which in a year or three people are going to be tied of.

Views?

Nothing wrong with you not being a fan of the minis, but your tone implies that people who do like them are "wrong." Minis may be trending high, but it's not likely to be a big shift regardless. Minis have been popular for hundreds of years.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldfiinger wrote:
Why have such huge figures, complete kickstarter gimmick if you ask me. Sure have slightly taller figures to show difference but do they have to be that huge...!

Pure waste of board space and the only reason I can see is to make it appear that the kickstarter rewards are better becuase they're bigger.

So much board space being lost out on.

I believe this giant minitures thing is a trend which in a year or three people are going to be tied of.

Views?


Definitely cool and all, but does seem a bit gratuitous to me. Oh well. I assume they've playtested them...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
ahkaiser wrote:
I prefer a smaller board. Not a lot of room and we almost never have more than 4-5 people available the same night.

If it's designed for 6, then it needs to fit pieces for 6 players comfortably. A cramped board just makes it harder to tell what's going on.

I sort of feel the same. Especially with the large monsters some provinces hardly look big enough to accomodate all the minis. Let alone when you play with 6 players instead of 4.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not overly after seeing the huge 6 fold board on the dice tower GAMA stream. It looked huge.

https://youtu.be/c-tDgvPt2Gw?t=6960
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
Not overly after seeing the huge 6 fold board on the dice tower GAMA stream. It looked huge.
https://youtu.be/c-tDgvPt2Gw?t=6960

Well .. have you seen the gameplay video?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They also need to leave space for your reserve, screen, ronin, coins etc. so I don't mind the board not being HUGE.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yogibbear wrote:
They also need to leave space for your reserve, screen, ronin, coins etc. so I don't mind the board not being HUGE.


Sure, but if the pieces are crowding the board to the point of illegibility, that is a design problem as well. I can't help but think they have already considered this, but still it is a potential concern.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The next stretch goal add-on:

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Caibre wrote:
yogibbear wrote:
They also need to leave space for your reserve, screen, ronin, coins etc. so I don't mind the board not being HUGE.

Sure, but if the pieces are crowding the board to the point of illegibility, that is a design problem as well. I can't help but think they have already considered this, but still it is a potential concern.

Yes, agreed. I always found the Blood Rage board too square so you don't have a lot of space left on the edge of your table because the player boards are really quite big.

The Rising Sun board is the same size but 50% wider. I think it should be ok; the standard 31 x 31 cm game box just doesn't really leave much room for other options. It's just that the monsters are HUGE, which at times will make the provinces quite crowded.

Just don't pick too many Oni and Dragons!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ipgyst wrote:
The next stretch goal add-on:



Count me in!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the big figures. Not worried about board space. Excited for the game though!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Schmidt
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm not worried about there being too many models on the board.

Since I will be utterly destroying my enemies every season, they won't really pile up. And even if they do, the salty tears I'll reap from killing them all will be even more delicious.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I guess they heard you:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/rising-su...

Quote:
While the standard cardboard board that comes in the core box is able to accomodate the figures just fine, occasionally some more contested provinces may get a little crowded in the late game. So if you want a little more breathing room, and a more impressive presentation, this Exclusive playmat board will be 20% bigger than the standard board!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
POW
badge
BAM
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol yea they made a bigger board for the op
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
draight wrote:
Lol yea they made a bigger board for the op
"This guy on BGG says he wants a bigger board."

"Sounds like a great idea for a $30 add-on."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
draight wrote:
Lol yea they made a bigger board for the op
"This guy on BGG says he wants a bigger board."

"Sounds like a great idea for a $30 add-on."

I wonder if this was planned all along or that this is an extra add-on ...
For if this was planned, that would imply there won't be an art book (not that I would want one).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
For if this was planned, that would imply there won't be an art book (not that I would want one).


Why does this mean there won't be an art book?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
draight wrote:
Lol yea they made a bigger board for the op
"This guy on BGG says he wants a bigger board."

"Sounds like a great idea for a $30 add-on."

I wonder if this was planned all along or that this is an extra add-on ...
For if this was planned, that would imply there won't be an art book (not that I would want one).


Thiago Said it was due to backers requests. My guess is this will be the fourth add-on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
Teowulff wrote:
For if this was planned, that would imply there won't be an art book (not that I would want one).

Why does this mean there won't be an art book?

Because there will 100% sure be a retail 6th player expansion.
Which would be an add-on in this kickstrater as the KS exclusives (fortress, plastic clan token) must be included.

Also Thiago said there would be a very big one .. an Art Book doesn't really qualify.

GrandKhan44 wrote:
Thiago Said it was due to backers requests. My guess is this will be the fourth add-on.

Yes i also got that impression.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
Purgatus wrote:


I'm worried about the board space. I feel like its going to be too crowded. Am I worried over nothing? Anyone share this concern?


My Anachrony arrived like a week ago, so yea..too late to start any worrying now
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.